Alaska Software Inc. - Copy / Paste a file to my App
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Copy / Paste a file to my App
Jonathan LeemingCopy / Paste a file to my App
on Tue, 21 Jul 2020 09:04:10 -0600
Hi,

Although I use Drag/Drop to get other files (perhaps a Word Doc) in my
application I find this works best with dual extended monitors.

Is there a way that I can have a user copy a file path from Windows
Explore and paste the path it into a xbpSLE.  What I am looking for is
an alternate way of getting a file path into my a SLE instead of having
someone either drag & drop or browse to it with a file picker.

The situation is that a user has just created a word document and they
likely see the file in windows explorer and if they could just copy the
full path to the clipboard and then paste it in to the SLE it would be
simple.  I'm thinking that they probably have to use some alternate tool
to get it into the clipboard but that would not be feasible.

Obviously I'm open to any options to simply get the file path into my
xbpSLE so I can manipulate the actual file.

Any ideas would definitely be appreciated!!!

Thanks... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@familycentre.org
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Re: Copy / Paste a file to my App
on Tue, 21 Jul 2020 16:26:39 -0400
Jonathan,

>Is there a way that I can have a user copy a file path from Windows
>Explore and paste the path it into a xbpSLE.  What I am looking for is
>an alternate way of getting a file path into my a SLE instead of having
>someone either drag & drop or browse to it with a file picker.

>The situation is that a user has just created a word document and they
>likely see the file in windows explorer and if they could just copy the
>full path to the clipboard and then paste it in to the SLE it would be
>simple. I'm thinking that they probably have to use some alternate tool
>to get it into the clipboard but that would not be feasible.

>Any ideas would definitely be appreciated!!!

I install the "Copy Path to Clipboard" program on every computer I work on.
You can download it from here: http://stefan.bertels.org/en/clipboardpath

It adds an entry to the windows files and folders context menu, that allows
you to copy the path (and filename) of the selected file or folder to the
clipboard and you can then paste that anywhere you like.

Hope that helps,

Andreas

Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Absolute Software, LLC

phone: (989) 723-9927
email: Andreas@AbsoluteSoftwareLLC.com
web:   http://www.AbsoluteSoftwareLLC.com
[L]:   https://www.LinkedIn.com/in/AndreasGehrsPahl
[F]:   https://www.FaceBook.com/AbsoluteSoftwareLLC
Jonathan LeemingRe: Copy / Paste a file to my App
on Tue, 21 Jul 2020 16:19:29 -0600
On 7/21/2020 2:26 PM, Andreas Gehrs-Pahl wrote:
> Jonathan,
>
>> Is there a way that I can have a user copy a file path from Windows
>> Explore and paste the path it into a xbpSLE.  What I am looking for is
>> an alternate way of getting a file path into my a SLE instead of having
>> someone either drag & drop or browse to it with a file picker.
>
>> The situation is that a user has just created a word document and they
>> likely see the file in windows explorer and if they could just copy the
>> full path to the clipboard and then paste it in to the SLE it would be
>> simple. I'm thinking that they probably have to use some alternate tool
>> to get it into the clipboard but that would not be feasible.
>
>> Any ideas would definitely be appreciated!!!
>
> I install the "Copy Path to Clipboard" program on every computer I work on.
> You can download it from here: http://stefan.bertels.org/en/clipboardpath
>
> It adds an entry to the windows files and folders context menu, that allows
> you to copy the path (and filename) of the selected file or folder to the
> clipboard and you can then paste that anywhere you like.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Andreas

Hi Andreas,

I was expecting that I would have to have admin rights on each
workstation to allow the install but in some quick tests it can be
installed without and elevated command prompt logged in as a regular
user with the command line switch /S... one just has to be aware that
the switch is case sensitive and /s will not do a silent install.

I can easily deploy this to all my workstations!

Many Thanks!!! Jonathan