Alaska Software Inc. - Using HTMLViewer fo GMail - Other Options???
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Using HTMLViewer fo GMail - Other Options???
Jonathan LeemingUsing HTMLViewer fo GMail - Other Options???
on Thu, 06 Apr 2017 12:59:29 -0600
Hi,

We use RD Web to allow remote users to access our Database as well as
other programs such as MS Word & MS Excel when the are working off
site.  We use the Enterprise version of GMail for our email but do not
want to have a full internet browser accessible from the RD Web
screen.  Up to this point we have not had an internet browser in  RD
Web but it is combersom for the users when they need to attach a file
to an email... the GMail web interface is on their local computer but
the attachment is on the server... this means they have to copy the
attachment to their local hard computer and attch it from there and
remember to delete it after sending.

OK... I have pretty much copied Alaska's example from the
xbpHTMLViewer() docs with a few minor adjustments.  The line...

oHTML:beforeNavigate := {| cURL, cCGI, self | IF("google.com" $
cURL,.F.,sNoNavigate(cUrl)) }

Only allows the user to navigate to google's pages which prevents the
user wandering too far.  I have fould that I also need to rename
iexplore.exe otherwise some links simply open an instance of Internet
Explorer defeating the purpose.  (Not to mention <Cntl + N> or simply
entering a link into a Word document).

I looked into white lists but they appeared to be too easy to disable
but am just wondering if anyon e has any other suggestions.

The xbpHtmlViewer()  approach works but clicking on links where the
navigation get blocked display a script error message... not
catestrophic... just not very "elegant".  I have also found that
clicking on the Google Calendar or Google Drive from within the
interface want to open Internet Explorer which is unavable if I have
renamed it thus  disabling access to Calendar or Drive
(unfortunately).

Thanks... Jonathan
Jim LeeRe: Using HTMLViewer fo GMail - Other Options???
on Fri, 07 Apr 2017 07:18:13 +0200
> Only allows the user to navigate to google's pages which prevents the
> user wandering too far.

do you have a Static IP or DynIP ?

to connect to a Website a normal User does not know IP Adress, he use a URL.
now these URL must be translate into IP Adress, this is what DNS Server are
doing.

so if you deactivate DNS Support in Router / Network Card your Browser will
not work correct.
if you use IP Adress direct you still shoud be able to connect to that
Server.

also have a look at c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
i remember old Days when "Virus" have input there setting and redirect Input
to given IP
Jonathan LeemingRe: Using HTMLViewer fo GMail - Other Options???
on Tue, 11 Apr 2017 15:30:25 -0600
Follow-Up... with a better solution.

As I mentioned in my original post I had looked at Whitelist
Extensions for the browser but found them too easy to disable...
however... there is a GPO template for Gooogle Chrome that has an
extensive set of configuration options... including Whitelists and
Blacklists... I have now installed Chrome on RDS with the users
accessing it via RDWeb... Adjusted the GPO for Chrome and it works
great... My users can use Goggle Mail, Google Calendar, Google
Drive... but can not access sites outside of the "Google World".

If anyone cares... here is a link that describes what needs to be
done....

http://www.kevink.org/whitelisting-and-blacklisting-sites-in-chrome-via-gpo/

Regards... Jonathan