Alaska Software Inc. - Compiler/link problem
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Compiler/link problem
Scott KriseCompiler/link problem
on Tue, 14 Nov 2017 08:13:33 -0500
Hello everyone,

I am reposting this question I asked over a year ago...wondering if anyone 
has had any experience with it:

I am receiving an error when compiling. The compilation seems normal up
until it reaches the linking step. I then receive the following message:

"The specified module could not be found."
"alink @C:\users...\local\temp\06065964.tmp returned error ***"

I am compling using 1.90.335.

If I try to run the executable, I get a message indicating that my EXE is
not a valid WIN 32 application.

This started after adding a new program. If I delete the program, it
compiles ok. The strange thing is that if I remove another pgm from the
compile, it will compile and run ok.

Is there a limit to the number of programs that can be complied into a
single exe?

Thanks,

Scott
Edgar Borger Re: Compiler/link problem
on Tue, 14 Nov 2017 18:46:37 -0200
Hi Scott,

I had simillar problems with antivirus software, and also using network (maped) drives....

Regards,
Edgar


Em 14/11/2017 11:13, Scott Krise escreveu:
> Hello everyone,
> 
> I am reposting this question I asked over a year ago...wondering if anyone has had any experience with it:
> 
> I am receiving an error when compiling. The compilation seems normal up
> until it reaches the linking step. I then receive the following message:
> 
> "The specified module could not be found."
> "alink @C:\users...\local\temp\06065964.tmp returned error ***"
> 
> I am compling using 1.90.335.
> 
> If I try to run the executable, I get a message indicating that my EXE is
> not a valid WIN 32 application.
> 
> This started after adding a new program. If I delete the program, it
> compiles ok. The strange thing is that if I remove another pgm from the
> compile, it will compile and run ok.
> 
> Is there a limit to the number of programs that can be complied into a
> single exe?
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Scott
> 
> 


Edgar Borger
Softsupply Informatica Ltda.
Rua Alagoas, 48
Sao Paulo, SP
01242-000
Tel   : (5511) 3159-1997
Email : softsupply@terra.com.br
Jim LeeRe: Compiler/link problem
on Wed, 15 Nov 2017 00:00:11 +0100
> "The specified module could not be found."
> "alink @C:\users...\local\temp\06065964.tmp returned error ***"
>
> I am compling using 1.90.335.

what Windows Version ?
see also PDR 6775
Anand GuptaRe: Compiler/link problem
on Wed, 15 Nov 2017 10:32:13 +0100
Jim Lee wrote in message news:4e23f00c$7ac215bc$60b9b@news.alaska-software.com...
>> "The specified module could not be found."
>> "alink @C:\users...\local\temp\06065964.tmp returned error ***"
>>
>> I am compling using 1.90.335.
>
>what Windows Version ?
>see also PDR 6775

Hi Scott,

I regularly get "The specified module could not be found." in building any
project big or small. I am using 1.90.335.

I found the solution as below,

1. Try building repeatedly, and it does compiles.
2. Close cmd/command window. Open new one, Build in it. Repeat with new cmd
window, till it compiles.
3. Restart computer. Build, it compiles.

You may try them.

Regards,

Anand
Scott KriseRe: Compiler/link problem
on Wed, 15 Nov 2017 07:21:08 -0500
I have had the same problem for some time, and used the method you described 
below...and yes it would correct the issue. I've now reached a point where 
it no longer solves the problem. I have had to remove programs or lines of 
code to get it to compile.

I was told that the 2.x version of xbase will correct this...wondering if 
anyone has found this to be the case?

I have been able to rule out that its an anti-virus or operating system 
issue since the issue follows me from PC to PC, with windows 7, windows 10, 
norton, webroot, etc. The only common issue is the number of programs/lines 
of code being compiled and linked.

"Anand Gupta" wrote in message 
news:51fe0dac$6f1a1407$68336@news.alaska-software.com...
> Jim Lee wrote in message 
> news:4e23f00c$7ac215bc$60b9b@news.alaska-software.com...
>>> "The specified module could not be found."
>>> "alink @C:\users...\local\temp\06065964.tmp returned error ***"
>>>
>>> I am compling using 1.90.335.
>>
>>what Windows Version ?
>>see also PDR 6775
>
> Hi Scott,
>
> I regularly get "The specified module could not be found." in building any
> project big or small. I am using 1.90.335.
>
> I found the solution as below,
>
> 1. Try building repeatedly, and it does compiles.
> 2. Close cmd/command window. Open new one, Build in it. Repeat with new 
> cmd
> window, till it compiles.
> 3. Restart computer. Build, it compiles.
>
> You may try them.
>
> Regards,
>
> Anand
Boris BorzicRe: Compiler/link problem
on Wed, 15 Nov 2017 14:51:57 +0100
"Scott Krise" <scottkrise@verizon.net> wrote in
news:472d3db4$6b592ad8$1d69@news.alaska-software.com: 

> I have been able to rule out that its an anti-virus or operating
> system issue since the issue follows me from PC to PC, with windows 7,
> windows 10, norton, webroot, etc. The only common issue is the number
> of programs/lines of code being compiled and linked.

If # of lines is an issue, have you tried splittiong out your application 
by creating a DLL?

Best regards,
Boris Borzic

http://xb2.net
http://sqlexpress.net
industrial strength Xbase++ development tools
Scott KriseRe: Compiler/link problem
on Thu, 16 Nov 2017 20:28:29 -0500
No, I have not tried to do that yet, but I'm considering it. I'm also 
considering upgrading to the current version of Xbase and I am told that 
will also resolve the issue.

"Boris Borzic" wrote in message 
news:XnsA82E5A2DC6CEFSQLExpress@87.106.143.233...
> "Scott Krise" <scottkrise@verizon.net> wrote in
> news:472d3db4$6b592ad8$1d69@news.alaska-software.com:
>
>> I have been able to rule out that its an anti-virus or operating
>> system issue since the issue follows me from PC to PC, with windows 7,
>> windows 10, norton, webroot, etc. The only common issue is the number
>> of programs/lines of code being compiled and linked.
>
> If # of lines is an issue, have you tried splittiong out your application
> by creating a DLL?
>
> -- 
> Best regards,
> Boris Borzic
>
> http://xb2.net
> http://sqlexpress.net
> industrial strength Xbase++ development tools
Chris Carmac Re: Compiler/link problem
on Mon, 20 Nov 2017 13:20:24 -0500
Scott,

I've seen similar errors when compiling under 1.90 versions.  What I 
normally do to get around it is to delete all of the object files and 
run pbuild again. If you do that, and the pbuild stops before all the 
prgs are compiled, delete the object file for the last prg that was 
compiled and run pbuild again.

Chris


On 11/14/2017 8:13 AM, Scott Krise wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am reposting this question I asked over a year ago...wondering if
> anyone has had any experience with it:
>
> I am receiving an error when compiling. The compilation seems normal up
> until it reaches the linking step. I then receive the following message:
>
> "The specified module could not be found."
> "alink @C:\users...\local\temp\06065964.tmp returned error ***"
>
> I am compling using 1.90.335.
>
> If I try to run the executable, I get a message indicating that my EXE is
> not a valid WIN 32 application.
>
> This started after adding a new program. If I delete the program, it
> compiles ok. The strange thing is that if I remove another pgm from the
> compile, it will compile and run ok.
>
> Is there a limit to the number of programs that can be complied into a
> single exe?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott
>
>
Jim LeeRe: Compiler/link problem
on Mon, 20 Nov 2017 19:37:39 +0100
> I am compling using 1.90.335.

did you run Hotfix #30 ?