Alaska Software Inc. - How to INSERT BLANK a record at a given position
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: How to INSERT BLANK a record at a given position
Juan GonzalezHow to INSERT BLANK a record at a given position
on Thu, 01 Sep 2022 14:13:18 +0200
Hello,
I am on an old migrated Clipper software.

I want to know how to insert a record at a given position on a DBF file.

With dBase/Clipper we had the INSERT BLANK statement with did exactly what I
want, but it seems that in xBase it does not exist. May be some equivalent ?

Thank you very much,
JJ
Luiz E. Penna FernandesRe: How to INSERT BLANK a record at a given position
on Fri, 02 Sep 2022 09:17:40 -0300
Juan,

I think the command is APPEND BLANK.

Best regards,
Luiz

On 01/09/2022 09:13, Juan Gonzalez wrote:
> Hello,
> I am on an old migrated Clipper software.
>
> I want to know how to insert a record at a given position on a DBF file.
>
> With dBase/Clipper we had the INSERT BLANK statement with did exactly what I
> want, but it seems that in xBase it does not exist. May be some equivalent ?
>
> Thank you very much,
> JJ
Sabrina FobesRe: How to INSERT BLANK a record at a given position
on Fri, 02 Sep 2022 10:13:18 -0400
As far as I recall Clipper did not have an insert blank command was
append blank (dbappend())same as Xbase++

Note that it always added the record at the end of the table (Last rec
number) inserting at a given record number could be done I guess but
would be vary expensive in time.

An index of course sets the relative record positions and if active is
updated with with the new field values on an Append

On 9/1/22 8:13 AM, Juan Gonzalez wrote:
> Hello,
> I am on an old migrated Clipper software.
>
> I want to know how to insert a record at a given position on a DBF file.
>
> With dBase/Clipper we had the INSERT BLANK statement with did exactly what I
> want, but it seems that in xBase it does not exist. May be some equivalent ?
>
> Thank you very much,
> JJ

Juan GonzalezRe: How to INSERT BLANK a record at a given position
on Tue, 06 Sep 2022 15:54:36 +0200
Sabrina Fobes wrote in message news:44ab766e$78ce3a77$99d1b@news.alaska-
software.com...
>As far as I recall Clipper did not have an insert blank command was
>append blank (dbappend())same as Xbase++
>
>Note that it always added the record at the end of the table (Last rec
>number) inserting at a given record number could be done I guess but
>would be vary expensive in time.
>
>An index of course sets the relative record positions and if active is
>updated with with the new field values on an Append
>
>On 9/1/22 8:13 AM, Juan Gonzalez wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I am on an old migrated Clipper software.
>>
>> I want to know how to insert a record at a given position on a DBF file.
>>
>> With dBase/Clipper we had the INSERT BLANK statement with did exactly what
>> want, but it seems that in xBase it does not exist. May be some equivalent
?

>> Thank you very much,
>> JJ

Thank you for your answer.

You are correct, I have checked, and the command INSERT BLANK was available in
dBASE III, but not in Clipper.

Best regards.