Alaska Software Inc. - Special Character Issue
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Special Character Issue
Scott KriseSpecial Character Issue
on Mon, 04 Dec 2017 10:24:14 -0500
Hello Everyone,

So I have a need to data enter/print special ascii characters, and I am
having two issues in regards to doing that.

What I mean by special characters, for example, would be the greek symbol
phi - which represents "diameter". This is a special character you can
create by holding down the alt key and typing the number 237 on your keypad.
(You can't use the numbers on the top of the keyboard or it will not work.
This will work if you go into Microsoft Word For example and try it there.)

So, I have 2 problems related to doing this within my software. First, I
have an old textual system I wrote in clipper then converted to Xbase...and
the entry fields will accept the ALT-237 as described above and the
appropriate greek character will show up in the entry field. If I try that
in my new gui screens, a lower case f appears when that key sequence is
typed...so it it not doing the conversion properly. So what must be done to
allow these particular ascii characters to be recognized?

Once we solve that problem, it seems that a separate change is required
during the printing process. I have found that setting the codepage
parameter to 255 for OEM character set "should" fix that issue...but for
whatever reason, I'm not able to get that to work either at the moment.
Years ago I found that solution...but apparently at some point that has
stopped working as well.

Thanks,

Scott
Anand GuptaRe: Special Character Issue
on Tue, 05 Dec 2017 11:24:07 +0100
"Scott Krise" <scottkrise@verizon.net> wrote in message

>So, I have 2 problems related to doing this within my software. First, I
>have an old textual system I wrote in clipper then converted to Xbase...and
>the entry fields will accept the ALT-237 as described above and the
>appropriate greek character will show up in the entry field. If I try that
>in my new gui screens, a lower case f appears when that key sequence is
>typed...so it it not doing the conversion properly. So what must be done to
>allow these particular ascii characters to be recognized?
>
>Once we solve that problem, it seems that a separate change is required
>during the printing process. I have found that setting the codepage
>parameter to 255 for OEM character set "should" fix that issue...but for
>whatever reason, I'm not able to get that to work either at the moment.
>Years ago I found that solution...but apparently at some point that has
>stopped working as well.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Scott

Hi Scott,

In clipper there is no concept of fonts, but in gui mode font play special role.
You have Terminal or System fonts for using Clipper like special characters.
Try using these fonts and your display and also printing will be as you required.

Regards,

Anand
Carlos a Beling Re: Special Character Issue
on Tue, 05 Dec 2017 11:05:01 -0200
Hello Scott:
good morning.
I'd like to sugest you to take a look in the member var XbpFont:codePage
in relation to vIO and GUI modes because TBrowse() and DispBox() and
others use the boxes chars of the current font and the XbpFont:codePage
must to be OEM or, if it is set to ANSI, the respective char must to be
converted into OEM before to be used.
Also take a look at the Set(_SET_CHARSET) because it has implication in
the font presentation.

Fraternally
Beling

Em 04/12/2017 13:24, Scott Krise escreveu:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> So I have a need to data enter/print special ascii characters, and I am
> having two issues in regards to doing that.
>
> What I mean by special characters, for example, would be the greek
> symbol phi - which represents "diameter". This is a special character
> you can create by holding down the alt key and typing the number 237 on
> your keypad. (You can't use the numbers on the top of the keyboard or it
> will not work. This will work if you go into Microsoft Word For example
> and try it there.)
>
> So, I have 2 problems related to doing this within my software. First, I
> have an old textual system I wrote in clipper then converted to
> Xbase...and the entry fields will accept the ALT-237 as described above
> and the appropriate greek character will show up in the entry field. If
> I try that in my new gui screens, a lower case f appears when that key
> sequence is typed...so it it not doing the conversion properly. So what
> must be done to allow these particular ascii characters to be recognized?
>
> Once we solve that problem, it seems that a separate change is required
> during the printing process. I have found that setting the codepage
> parameter to 255 for OEM character set "should" fix that issue...but for
> whatever reason, I'm not able to get that to work either at the moment.
> Years ago I found that solution...but apparently at some point that has
> stopped working as well.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott
Scott KriseRe: Special Character Issue
on Thu, 07 Dec 2017 09:12:55 -0500
Ok. Ill look a that. If anyone has had personal experience with this, Id
appreciate to hear from you as well.

Thanks everyone!