Alaska Software Inc. - Re: 1.90 to 2.0 upgrade problem
Alaska Software Inc. - Re: 1.90 to 2.0 upgrade problem
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Re: 1.90 to 2.0 upgrade problem
Scott KriseRe: 1.90 to 2.0 upgrade problem
on Wed, 03 Jan 2018 10:38:10 -0500
Hello,

So Im doing a trial run of version 2.0. My app complies and links without
errors, but when I try to run it, I get the following:

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to
close the application.

No error log, no fatal log, nothing.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott KriseRe: 1.90 to 2.0 upgrade problem
on Wed, 03 Jan 2018 11:30:26 -0500
I posted the same message in the support.en group, not knowing where the
question is more appropriate.

Here is another related question:

My guess is that my problem may be related to having dlls/libs from both
versions in multiple places in the system from 1.9x as well as 2.0x?  I keep
some of these files locally in the directory where I run my app....and in
addition, both alaska folders are both referenced in my path. Since I am
testing 2.0, but doing my day to day work in 1.90...my solution has been to
change the path and other environmental variables to have whichever version
im using at the top of the search order so It hits the one Im working with
first.

Is there a better way than this do run dual versions of Xbase on the same
system?

"Scott Krise" <scottkrise@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> So Im doing a trial run of version 2.0. My app complies and links without
> errors, but when I try to run it, I get the following:
>
> The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to
> close the application.
>
> No error log, no fatal log, nothing.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

Jonathan LeemingRe: 1.90 to 2.0 upgrade problem
on Wed, 03 Jan 2018 10:16:34 -0700
On 1/3/2018 9:30 AM, Scott Krise wrote:
> I posted the same message in the support.en group, not knowing where the
> question is more appropriate.
>
> Here is another related question:
>
> My guess is that my problem may be related to having dlls/libs from both
> versions in multiple places in the system from 1.9x as well as 2.0x?  I
> keep some of these files locally in the directory where I run my
> app....and in addition, both alaska folders are both referenced in my
> path. Since I am testing 2.0, but doing my day to day work in 1.90...my
> solution has been to change the path and other environmental variables
> to have whichever version im using at the top of the search order so It
> hits the one Im working with first.
>
> Is there a better way than this do run dual versions of Xbase on the
> same system?
>

> "Scott Krise" <scottkrise@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> So Im doing a trial run of version 2.0. My app complies and links
>> without errors, but when I try to run it, I get the following:
>>
>> The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK
>> to close the application.
>>
>> No error log, no fatal log, nothing.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Scott

Hi Scott,

When I was first testing 2.0 on my 1.9 development machine I was always
using MultiEdit as my 1.9 editor and compiled from the command line.
For 2.0 testing I was mostly using the Workbench to edit / compile & run.

When installing 2.0 on the 1.9 machine I opted for a "Side by Side"
install.  The following is extracted from the 2.0 install readme.html
(attached).

2.1.4) Side-by-side installation
By default, both the Xbase++ runtime and the Workbench are installed in
a way allowing you to begin development immediately. For this, the
environment settings of the computer (eg. PATH, INCLUDE) are changed for
the Xbase++ 2.0 development tools by the installer. If an older Xbase++
version is installed on the computer, existing environment values are
overwritten.

If you want to continue using an older Xbase++ version alongside 2.0, a
side-by-side installation must be performed. This allows developing
applications using the new version while retaining your original
environment used for legacy application maintenance. To do this, uncheck
the "Environment Settings" option in the feature tree of the installer.
This will leave the computer's environment settings unchanged, so that
they keep the values used by the older Xbase++ version. This means by
extension, that the Xbase++ 2.0 development tools can only be used from
inside the Xbase++ Workbench. If you need to invoke the 2.0 Project
Builder (pbuild.exe) from a command line (CMD), for example, use the
command line provided in the Tools menu of the Workbench. This command
line is set up as if the Xbase++ 2.0 environment was configured for the
whole machine.

Note that the Xbase++ Workbench uses environment settings which can be
configured in the IDE's Environment Options dialog. To change the
environment used by the Workbench, select the menu item Tools ->
Environment Options and then click on the Directories tab. This
environment is used by all processes started from within the Xbase++
Workbench!

NOTE: From within the 2.0 workbench you can open a command prompt which
will have an isolated set of environment variables and paths that are
configured for the 2.0 requirements.  Also keep in mind that 3rd party
libraries compiled / linked for 1.9 will not work with 2.0 and you would
need to get the 2.0 versions.  Edgar Borger's PDF library is an example.

Hope this help... Jonathan

readme.html
Scott KriseRe: 1.90 to 2.0 upgrade problem
on Wed, 03 Jan 2018 13:08:38 -0500
Hi Jonathan,

I didn’t see that option when installing....or if I did, I just left it the
way it was by default.

Ok...I will uninstall and reinstall and see if that resolves my issue.

I did recompile the 3rd party programs too...so thanks for mentioning that.

I appreciate your help!

Scott

"Jonathan Leeming" wrote in message
> [...]
> whole machine.
>
> Note that the Xbase++ Workbench uses environment settings which can be
> configured in the IDE's Environment Options dialog. To change the
> environment used by the Workbench, select the menu item Tools ->
> Environment Options and then click on the Directories tab. This
> environment is used by all processes started from within the Xbase++
> Workbench!
>
> NOTE: From within the 2.0 workbench you can open a command prompt which
> will have an isolated set of environment variables and paths that are
> configured for the 2.0 requirements.  Also keep in mind that 3rd party
> libraries compiled / linked for 1.9 will not work with 2.0 and you would
> need to get the 2.0 versions.  Edgar Borger's PDF library is an example.
>
> Hope this help... Jonathan

Scott KriseRe: 1.90 to 2.0 upgrade problem
on Wed, 03 Jan 2018 16:04:36 -0500
Uninstalled 2.0 and reinstalled using the side-by-side method described
below. It helped in that I don’t have to mess around with my environmental
variables when I want to use one version or the other, but unfortunately, It
didn’t eliminate my original problem. Still getting the runtime error from
before. I've tried multiple systems I have here and its doing it in all of
them. I googled the error and found that its caused by compatibility issues
in some cases, or general "setup" problems with programs...so Im putting my
money on something to do with having dlls or libs in places that they
shouldn’t be and its trying to use 1.9 and 2.0 files concurrently?

> [...]
>> whole machine.
>>
>> Note that the Xbase++ Workbench uses environment settings which can be
>> configured in the IDE's Environment Options dialog. To change the
>> environment used by the Workbench, select the menu item Tools ->
>> Environment Options and then click on the Directories tab. This
>> environment is used by all processes started from within the Xbase++
>> Workbench!
>>
>> NOTE: From within the 2.0 workbench you can open a command prompt which
>> will have an isolated set of environment variables and paths that are
>> configured for the 2.0 requirements.  Also keep in mind that 3rd party
>> libraries compiled / linked for 1.9 will not work with 2.0 and you would
>> need to get the 2.0 versions.  Edgar Borger's PDF library is an example.
>>
>> Hope this help... Jonathan

Jonathan LeemingRe: 1.90 to 2.0 upgrade problem
on Wed, 03 Jan 2018 16:06:34 -0700
On 1/3/2018 2:04 PM, Scott Krise wrote:
> [...]
>>> line is set up as if the Xbase++ 2.0 environment was configured for the
>>> whole machine.
>>>
>>> Note that the Xbase++ Workbench uses environment settings which can be
>>> configured in the IDE's Environment Options dialog. To change the
>>> environment used by the Workbench, select the menu item Tools ->
>>> Environment Options and then click on the Directories tab. This
>>> environment is used by all processes started from within the Xbase++
>>> Workbench!
>>>
>>> NOTE: From within the 2.0 workbench you can open a command prompt which
>>> will have an isolated set of environment variables and paths that are
>>> configured for the 2.0 requirements.  Also keep in mind that 3rd party
>>> libraries compiled / linked for 1.9 will not work with 2.0 and you would
>>> need to get the 2.0 versions.  Edgar Borger's PDF library is an example.

Hi Scott,

Although I have not really used it there is a utility bundled with Xbase
(both 1.9 & 2.0) called XPPLOAD.exe which may help you.  In 2.0 it is
included in the "Programming Tools" section of the help file... in 1.9 I
found it by search in the help index.

Regards... Jonathan
Joao GrenhasRe: 1.90 to 2.0 upgrade problem
on Thu, 04 Jan 2018 12:38:01 +0000
Às 23:06 de 03/01/2018, Jonathan Leeming escreveu:
> On 1/3/2018 2:04 PM, Scott Krise wrote:
>> Uninstalled 2.0 and reinstalled using the side-by-side method
>> described below. It helped in that I don’t have to mess around with my
>> environmental variables when I want to use one version or the other,
>> but unfortunately, It didn’t eliminate my original problem. Still
>> getting the runtime error from before. I've tried multiple systems I
>> have here and its doing it in all of them. I googled the error and
>> found that its caused by compatibility issues in some cases, or
>> general "setup" problems with programs...so Im putting my money on
>> something to do with having dlls or libs in places that they shouldn’t
>> be and its trying to use 1.9 and 2.0 files concurrently?
>>

>> "Scott Krise" <scottkrise@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi Jonathan,
>>>
>>> I didn’t see that option when installing....or if I did, I just left
>>> it the way it was by default.
>>>
>>> Ok...I will uninstall and reinstall and see if that resolves my issue.
>>>
>>> I did recompile the 3rd party programs too...so thanks for mentioning
>>> that.
>>>
>>> I appreciate your help!
>>>
>>> Scott
>>>
>>> "Jonathan Leeming" wrote in message

> Hi Scott,
>
> Although I have not really used it there is a utility bundled with Xbase
> (both 1.9 & 2.0) called XPPLOAD.exe which may help you.  In 2.0 it is
> included in the "Programming Tools" section of the help file... in 1.9 I
> found it by search in the help index.
>
> Regards... Jonathan

Hello,
try this in a new PC without alaska or removing any directory with
alaska dll from path.

Put the exe alone in a directory and run it...it will complain about
dll. Start adding the ones it complains...
Scott KriseRe: 1.90 to 2.0 upgrade problem
on Fri, 05 Jan 2018 13:47:53 -0500
Hello Everyone,

I found out the problem. It was that I had an out-of-date dll being called.
Good to go now...thanks for the assistance!!

Scott