Alaska Software Inc. - How about a folding editor?
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: How about a folding editor?
Thomas Braun
How about a folding editor?
on Sat, 17 Jan 2004 20:26:31 +0100
For those not knowing what I'm talking about:

http://www.jzone.de/java/foldor/
http://www.elcomsoft.com/origami.html
http://www.foldmaster.de/e_index.htm

Thomas

Xbase++ FAQ : www.software-braun.de/xbfaq/xbfaq.htm
Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?" Then
a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."
	         -- Charlie Brown, "Peanuts" [Charles Schulz]
Phil Ide
Re: How about a folding editor?
on Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:59:16 +0000
Thomas,

Interesting idea - kinda like what I did with classTree.  The only problem
is you still need to be able to view/edit the full file at times (I assume
the editors you gave links to do that?).

Regards,

Phil Ide

***************************************
* Xbase++ FAQ, Libraries and Sources: *
* goto: http://www.idep.org.uk/xbase  *
***************************************

We don't want to go back to tomorrow, we want to go forward. - Dan Quayle
Thomas Braun Re: How about a folding editor?
on Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:00:36 +0100
Phil Ide:

> Interesting idea - kinda like what I did with classTree.  The only problem
> is you still need to be able to view/edit the full file at times (I assume
> the editors you gave links to do that?).

MultiEdit can do this as well (the feature is called "collapsing"), it adds
a small "+" sign to the collapsed lines that you can click to expand the
folded section. It also has an option to un-fold the whole document in one
step.

I don't use this feature very often but from time to time it comes very
handy...

Thomas
Claudio Driussi Re: How about a folding editor?
on Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:28:43 +0100
Thomas Braun wrote:

>>Interesting idea - kinda like what I did with classTree.  The only problem
>>is you still need to be able to view/edit the full file at times (I assume
>>the editors you gave links to do that?).
>
> MultiEdit can do this as well (the feature is called "collapsing"), it adds
> a small "+" sign to the collapsed lines that you can click to expand the
> folded section. It also has an option to un-fold the whole document in one
> step.

Also Scintilla do the same, they call it "folding"

http://www.scintilla.org/

Claudio.
David BrayRe: How about a folding editor?
on Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:09:37 +1000
An interesting post Claudio

lots of food for thought ..

on the surface with seeing the related projects at;
    http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/fxscintilla/
and;
    http://www.phpwebclasses.org/

the editor component of the VX2 IDE with wrinkles still needing a lot of
wrinkles to iron out

in the past dlesko and other, now clayton jones seems to be the current
testimony
"why are you reinventing the wheel" pradigm

    http://www.phpwebclasses.org/

has a downloadable editor, very flexible on the syntax hihlighting.

"Claudio Driussi" <claudio.driussi@libero.it> wrote in message
> Thomas Braun wrote:
>
> >>Interesting idea - kinda like what I did with classTree.  The only
problem
> >>is you still need to be able to view/edit the full file at times (I
assume
> >>the editors you gave links to do that?).
> >
> > MultiEdit can do this as well (the feature is called "collapsing"), it
adds
> > a small "+" sign to the collapsed lines that you can click to expand the
> > folded section. It also has an option to un-fold the whole document in
one
> > step.
>
> Also Scintilla do the same, they call it "folding"
>
> http://www.scintilla.org/
>
> Claudio.

Phil Ide
Re: How about a folding editor?
on Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:01:20 +0000
David,

>     http://www.phpwebclasses.org/
>
> has a downloadable editor, very flexible on the syntax hihlighting.

Yes, and there are many others too.  The point is, they don't have hooks so
that what you type gets reflected in the project manager and the
form-designer (and vice-versa).

Regards,

Phil Ide

***************************************
* Xbase++ FAQ, Libraries and Sources: *
* goto: http://www.idep.org.uk/xbase  *
***************************************

Don't use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]Re: How about a folding editor?
on Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:35:13 +0100
Thomas,

 Folding capabilities are definitive not a part of the
 Visual-Xbase++ 2.0 release - however I personally
 learned to love that capability more than 15 years
 back when working under Occam-2 writinng software
 for transputers. This editor had folding and it helped a
 lot to work more productive.

 regards,
 Steffen F. Pirsig,

Alaska Research & Development
Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
Fax:       +49/(0)6196/779999-23

"Thomas Braun" <spam@software-braun.de> wrote in message
> For those not knowing what I'm talking about:
>
> http://www.jzone.de/java/foldor/
> http://www.elcomsoft.com/origami.html
> http://www.foldmaster.de/e_index.htm
>
> Thomas
> --
> Xbase++ FAQ : www.software-braun.de/xbfaq/xbfaq.htm
> Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?" Then
> a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."
>          -- Charlie Brown, "Peanuts" [Charles Schulz]
Thomas Braun Re: How about a folding editor?
on Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:15:47 +0100
Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]:

>  however I personally
>  learned to love that capability more than 15 years
>  back when working under Occam-2 writinng software
>  for transputers.

Transputers - hmm - heard of that, ahhh yes... Inmos was the companies
name.

http://www.inmos.com/images/brochure/index.html

Thomas
Claudio Driussi Re: How about a folding editor?
on Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:32:53 +0100
Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research] wrote:

>  Folding capabilities are definitive not a part of the
>  Visual-Xbase++ 2.0 release

Folding is a nice feature, but Code Explorer do the same
job even better, it allow to jump on functions with a simple
double click.

Best regards.
Claudio
Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]Re: How about a folding editor?
on Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:15:41 +0100
Claudio,

 yes but folding helps more. For example:

 1. you have a module/function/procedure with a deep
     nested logical structure. Here folding helps you to
     understand and verify the logic, it also makes
     errors almost instant visible.

 2. code-injection can be hidden, meaning the design
     tools generates code for a method - the design
    tool also maintains that code for the method - normally
    you dont care about that code so it is by default folded.
    If you want to have a look at this type of code, simple
    unfold.

 Just my few 0.02$