Alaska Software Inc. - New debugger usage outside of VX
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: New debugger usage outside of VX
Scott SmithNew debugger usage outside of VX
on Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:01:51 -0800
Many of us would like to us oure own IDE, editor, etc.

Will it ever be possible to use the new debugger stand-alone without the VX
IDE?
PoliticallyIncorrectRe: New debugger usage outside of VX
on Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:54:35 -0700
Hum, I think the editor is the IDE and the IDE is the Editor the two are one
and the same

I have found a wonderful relationship using Multi Edit and Vx20 in tandom,
affords me unpresident editing and step and analize just about any where.
I find it to have help finding real sticky stuff.

"Scott Smith" <ssmith@averysoft.com> wrote in message
> Many of us would like to us oure own IDE, editor, etc.
>
> Will it ever be possible to use the new debugger stand-alone without the
VX
> IDE?

Scott SmithRe: New debugger usage outside of VX
on Sat, 24 Jan 2004 06:18:09 -0800
Good, cause I use MultiEdit and love it. I don't want to switch at this
point.

BTW, an IDE typically has an editor but an editor is not an necessarily an
IDE ... so they are not one in the same. In fact, I believe by today's
standards of an "IDE", an editor even as powerful as MultiEdit could not be
considered an IDE due to lack of truely integrated development components
such as debugger, profiler, form design, report design and/or database
design.

Second BTW... In MultiEdit, do you know how to have to have multiple help
files lnked to a file extension. For example, I have the xbase++ help file
linked for syntax checking if the extension is PRG.

It would be nice MultiEdit and/or VX had a help file utility that would
gather help from many different help files and place the contents into one
body of help from which "extension specific help" would work.

"PoliticallyIncorrect" <software@xmission.com> wrote in message
> Hum, I think the editor is the IDE and the IDE is the Editor the two are
one
> and the same
>
> I have found a wonderful relationship using Multi Edit and Vx20 in tandom,
> affords me unpresident editing and step and analize just about any where.
> I find it to have help finding real sticky stuff.
>

> "Scott Smith" <ssmith@averysoft.com> wrote in message
> > Many of us would like to us oure own IDE, editor, etc.
> >
> > Will it ever be possible to use the new debugger stand-alone without the
> VX
> > IDE?

Till WarwegRe: New debugger usage outside of VX
on Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:23:00 +0100
"Scott Smith" <ssmith@averysoft.com> wrote in message
> Many of us would like to us oure own IDE, editor, etc.
>
> Will it ever be possible to use the new debugger stand-alone without the
VX
> IDE?

Scott,

could you please elaborate a bit on "stand-alone"? What is the
behaviour/appearance you'd expect when you load an .EXE into
it, for example? We've tried to make provisions for using VX just
for debugging ( la "vx20 <yourexe>"). If there's something you
find wanting in that respect, please let us know. However, the
editor, the various views of the debugger and the way these
interact with each other are an integral part of both the IDE and
the debugging system. We've currently no plans to break up this
new alliance again .

Regards,
  Till

--
ARD - Alaska Research & Development

Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
E-Mail:    mailto:till.warweg@alaska-research.com
Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
Scott SmithRe: New debugger usage outside of VX
on Sat, 24 Jan 2004 06:06:31 -0800
Till,

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't downloaded VX yet... I just read in the news groups that the
debugger was integrated into the VX IDE. Consequently, I assumed
(incorrectly), that you would have to start VX and then do some manual
keyboarding or mousing to debug an exe. As long as you can begin a debug
session from the command line, I'm a happy camper.

Cheers,
Scott
Till WarwegRe: New debugger usage outside of VX
on Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:03:39 +0100
> Till,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I haven't downloaded VX yet... I just read in the news groups that the
> debugger was integrated into the VX IDE. Consequently, I assumed
> (incorrectly), that you would have to start VX and then do some manual
> keyboarding or mousing to debug an exe. As long as you can begin a debug
> session from the command line, I'm a happy camper.

Scott,

to be precise, there's one more step involved other than
running "vx20 <yourexe>": if no project file can be
found for the application, the IDE will ask you whether
a project be opened to maintain your debugging session
information (breakpoints etc.). If not, a dummy project
will be created for you. In this case, your input is required.

If a project file exists already, the debugger automatically
loads the executable and places the instruction pointer at
the first executable line. In this case, behaviour is basically
similar to that of the old debugger.

Regards,
  Till

--
ARD - Alaska Research & Development

Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
E-Mail:    mailto:till.warweg@alaska-research.com
Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
Scott SmithRe: New debugger usage outside of VX
on Sat, 24 Jan 2004 06:20:36 -0800
Till,

For intelli help... wouldn't it be cool if there was a utility that would
gather information from help files and assemble a VX intelli help database?

That way we could "scan in" our 3rd party library help files...
Mike EvansRe: New debugger usage outside of VX
on Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:34:05 +0200
Scott
As far as i know these is possible allready but i think it's undocumented. Have a look on the xppw32\bin\typelibs directory. You can
see 3 files. These files are plain Dbf (FP) files and you can change them if you want. Have in mind that if you change these files
your changes will be lost in a feauture release. Also i think that those files was created by a utility from the help files.

Regards
Mike Evans

"Scott Smith" <ssmith@averysoft.com> wrote in message news:EDnAYWo4DHA.2012@S15147418...
> Till,
>
> For intelli help... wouldn't it be cool if there was a utility that would
> gather information from help files and assemble a VX intelli help database?
>
> That way we could "scan in" our 3rd party library help files...

Till WarwegRe: New debugger usage outside of VX
on Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:58:22 +0100
"Mike Evans" <makis1970@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Scott
> As far as i know these is possible allready but i think it's undocumented.
Have
> a look on the xppw32\bin\typelibs directory. You can see 3 files. These
files
> are plain Dbf (FP) files and you can change them if you want. Have in mind
> that if you change these files your changes will be lost in a feauture
release.
> Also i think that those files was created by a utility from the help
files.

Very astute, Mike

  Till