Alaska Software Inc. - CHM File In Start
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: CHM File In Start
Donald KeatingCHM File In Start
on Mon, 23 Mar 2015 17:55:56 -0400
How can I add a CHM file to Start in Win 8.1?

Thanks,
  >don<
Thomas BraunRe: CHM File In Start
on Tue, 24 Mar 2015 09:01:32 +0100
Donald Keating wrote:

> How can I add a CHM file to Start in Win 8.1?

Not sure what you are after... do you want a help file to show when the
user logs on (via autostart folder)?

Probably putting a link in the autostart folder should be sufficient...

regards
Thomas
Donald KeatingRe: CHM File In Start - StartWindow.png (0/1)
on Tue, 24 Mar 2015 14:10:37 -0400
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your reponse.

I want to pin it to the Window shown in attached picture.  When you
right click many files in Windows Explorer one of the options is "Pin
to Start".  Not so with CHM file.

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 09:01:32 +0100, Thomas Braun wrote:

>Donald Keating wrote:
>
>> How can I add a CHM file to Start in Win 8.1?
>
>Not sure what you are after... do you want a help file to show when the
>user logs on (via autostart folder)?
>
>Probably putting a link in the autostart folder should be sufficient...
>
>regards
>Thomas
Thomas BraunRe: CHM File In Start - StartWindow.png (0/1)
on Wed, 25 Mar 2015 08:29:55 +0100
Donald Keating wrote:

> I want to pin it to the Window shown in attached picture.  When you
> right click many files in Windows Explorer one of the options is "Pin
> to Start".  Not so with CHM file.

Ah - because I never use this new Windows 8 stuff, I did not think about
that

Thomas
Donald KeatingRe: CHM File In Start - StartWindow.png (1/1)
on Tue, 24 Mar 2015 14:10:38 -0400
Jonathan LeemingRe: CHM File In Start
on Tue, 24 Mar 2015 12:24:33 -0600
Hi Don,

From your windows 8 Start Menu (with all it's "wonderful" tiles)...
Type the name of the help file that you are looking for... I just
tried it with "topdown.chm" and found that I just needed to type
"topdown" without the ".chm"... it should then appear in a list at the
top right of the screen.  Right click on it and chose "pin to start".

I have chosen to use StarDock's Start8 add on which will bring back
the old (but in my opinion better) windows start menu...
http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

It is value priced at $4.99 There are a number of add-on trial that it
is optionally bundled with... I ignored those and just installed Start
8.  Gives your Windows 8 box more of a Windows 7 feel.

Hope this help... Jonathan

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 17:55:56 -0400, Donald Keating wrote:

>How can I add a CHM file to Start in Win 8.1?
>
>Thanks,
>  >don<
Thomas BraunRe: CHM File In Start
on Wed, 25 Mar 2015 08:32:02 +0100
Jonathan Leeming wrote:

> I have chosen to use StarDock's Start8 add on which will bring back
> the old (but in my opinion better) windows start menu...
> http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

I know this - but I can't see any reason to pay for something that is
available for free... http://www.classicshell.net/

What I'm using from Stardock is fences
http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/
which is a brilliant way to organise your desktop.

Thomas
Donald KeatingRe: CHM File In Start
on Fri, 27 Mar 2015 16:40:27 -0400
Thanks Jonathon,

Worked fine for one file, topdown91.chm, but, couldn't make it work
for topdown82.chm.