Alaska Software Inc. - Index on memo-field
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Index on memo-field
Thomas PoolIndex on memo-field
on Fri, 09 Jun 2017 12:50:04 +0200
LS,

Indexing on a memo-field of a dbf seems to result in an index only on the
first character of the memo-field-string.
Is this the way it works or is there a workaround for this?

Thnx & regards, Thomas J. Pool
Jim LeeRe: Index on memo-field
on Fri, 09 Jun 2017 14:56:11 +0200
hi,

> Indexing on a memo-field of a dbf seems to result in an index only on the
> first character of the memo-field-string.
> Is this the way it works or is there a workaround for this?

DBFNTX (240) or FOXCDX (120) ?
 Indexkey must have same lenght (nMax = 240 or 120 )
INDEX ON SUBSTR(Field->Memo+SPACE(nMax),1,nMax) TO TEMP

other Solution : use CUSTOM Index
Thomas PoolRe: Index on memo-field
on Mon, 12 Jun 2017 16:44:14 +0200
Op Fri, 09 Jun 2017 14:56:11 +0200 schreef Jim Lee:

Thank Jim, this works allright! Regards, Thomas
Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Re: Index on memo-field
on Mon, 12 Jun 2017 14:58:14 -0400
Jim, Thomas,

>INDEX ON SUBSTR(Field->Memo+SPACE(nMax),1,nMax) TO TEMP

You can simplify this to:

INDEX ON PadR(Field->Memo, nMax) TO TEMP

Andreas

Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Absolute Software, LLC

phone: (989) 723-9927
email: Andreas@AbsoluteSoftwareLLC.com
web:   http://www.AbsoluteSoftwareLLC.com
[F]:   https://www.facebook.com/AbsoluteSoftwareLLC
Anand GuptaRe: Index on memo-field
on Tue, 13 Jun 2017 09:09:07 +0200
Jim Lee wrote in message news:4147e4fb$15858010$2486f@news.alaska-software.com...
>hi,
>
>> Indexing on a memo-field of a dbf seems to result in an index only on the
>> first character of the memo-field-string.
>> Is this the way it works or is there a workaround for this?
>
>DBFNTX (240) or FOXCDX (120) ?
>// Indexkey must have same lenght (nMax = 240 or 120 )
>INDEX ON SUBSTR(Field->Memo+SPACE(nMax),1,nMax) TO TEMP
>
>other Solution : use CUSTOM Index

Thanks for the tip Jim Lee. I used to have a character field C 100 to keep
initial text of memo and index on it. Your tip removed the requirement of this
field.

Regards,

Anand