Alaska Software Inc. - xBase++, Azure and/or Virtual Desktop
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: xBase++, Azure and/or Virtual Desktop
Itai Ben-ArtzixBase++, Azure and/or Virtual Desktop
on Mon, 13 Apr 2020 10:02:12 -0700
Can xBase++ application work over Azure?  Does Azure provide file and
record locking for xBase++?  What about Virtual Desktop?  Would Alaska
make Xbase++ compatible with these new technologies?
Many thanks,
-Itai
Osvaldo RamirezRe: xBase++, Azure and/or Virtual Desktop
on Mon, 13 Apr 2020 16:26:41 -0600
On 13/04/20 11:02, Itai Ben-Artzi wrote:
> Can xBase++ application work over Azure?  Does Azure provide file and
> record locking for xBase++?  What about Virtual Desktop?  Would Alaska
> make Xbase++ compatible with these new technologies?
> Many thanks,
> -Itai

Hello Itai
I dont know if this work for you

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/postgresql/overview

HTH
Osvaldo Ramirez
Itai Ben-ArtziRe: xBase++, Azure and/or Virtual Desktop
on Mon, 13 Apr 2020 19:33:53 -0700
Thank you, Osvaldo, but I use DBF (I need to retain deleted records
for audit trail and I was too lazy to duplicate each table for deleted
records).
I'd like to know if anyone from our community uses Azure or the new
Virtual Desktop.
Many thanks,
-Itai
Edgar Borger Re: xBase++, Azure and/or Virtual Desktop
on Tue, 14 Apr 2020 10:52:37 -0300
Hi Itai,

I have not tested Azure, but about deleted records, I migrated my system
to PostgreSQL using SQLExpress, and I created a field on every table,
__delete, can be character, numeric or logic, and when I want to delete
a record from a table, instead o using sql delete, I replace this field
with '1', or 1, or true, this way I can keep track of deleted records,
and/or recall them if needed, changing back to '0', 0, or false.

all you have to do is in every select include the where condition
__delete = '0' or 0 or false

select * from customer where __delete = '0'
or
select * from customer where __delete = '1' => to get all deleted records.

best regards,
Edgar

Em 13/04/2020 23:33, Itai Ben-Artzi escreveu:
> Thank you, Osvaldo, but I use DBF (I need to retain deleted records
> for audit trail and I was too lazy to duplicate each table for deleted
> records).
> I'd like to know if anyone from our community uses Azure or the new
> Virtual Desktop.
> Many thanks,
> -Itai

Itai Ben-ArtziRe: xBase++, Azure and/or Virtual Desktop
on Sun, 19 Apr 2020 22:44:44 -0700
Thank you, Edgar!!!
Did you migrate from DBF or started SQL from scratch?
How would you rate the performance of the SQL?  I have clients with
very large tables and I believe the ISAM provides better performance
than SQL. Did anyone compare performance of DBF and SQL?
Edgar Borger Re: xBase++, Azure and/or Virtual Desktop
on Mon, 20 Apr 2020 18:40:00 -0300
Hi Itai,

I migrated to SQL from DBF, using Boris SQLExpress, works very good, and
very easy to migrate. I created a few of my own routines/functions and
have migrated several of my existing clients, very easy. Code changes
are minimum...

In terms of performance, it is visible, especially on reports and other
routines that filters and process big amounts of data, a month sales
report that would take minutes to create, now takes seconds...  I don't
have numbers but there is no doubt about the gain.

I have never used ISAM, so i don't know about that, but my feeling is
that SQL is better, basically ISAM is an index technology, ,so it will
take you the the desired record very fast, but when you have to process
large amounts of records, I think IMHO that SQL is better.

Regards,
Edgar

Em 20/04/2020 02:44, Itai Ben-Artzi escreveu:
> Thank you, Edgar!!!
> Did you migrate from DBF or started SQL from scratch?
> How would you rate the performance of the SQL?  I have clients with
> very large tables and I believe the ISAM provides better performance
> than SQL. Did anyone compare performance of DBF and SQL?

Paul ChongRe: xBase++, Azure and/or Virtual Desktop
on Thu, 23 Apr 2020 02:35:40 +0800
Someone here has recommended to me TSplus https://www.tsplus.net/. I have
installed it & my xbase dbf app in a AWS Windows instances (Windows server
2019) https://aws.amazon.com/ & speed performance is very good. Nothing to
be changed in my xbase app. I can access my xbase app by rpd or html5
browser. I am sure TSplus can works on Azure too.

Btw, AWS EC2 is free to try for one year....

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 10:02:12 -0700, Itai Ben-Artzi wrote:

> Can xBase++ application work over Azure?  Does Azure provide file and
> record locking for xBase++?  What about Virtual Desktop?  Would Alaska
> make Xbase++ compatible with these new technologies?
> Many thanks,
> -Itai
Daniel FausRe: xBase++, Azure and/or Virtual Desktop
on Mon, 27 Apr 2020 19:53:00 +0200
El 13/04/2020 a las 19:02, Itai Ben-Artzi escribió:
> Can xBase++ application work over Azure?  Does Azure provide file and
> record locking for xBase++?  What about Virtual Desktop?  Would Alaska
> make Xbase++ compatible with these new technologies?
> Many thanks,
> -Itai

Hi Itai

I was try Azure few time ago, and it works like a local Windows server 2019.

I was changed the TS port to another and open it on the azure firewall,
and I can access to Remote Desktop with Azure Pulic IP:new port

I was changed the TS port to increasse a little the security, but you
can play with Azure firewall to block original IP, or some other rules.

It works like a Windows server local, if you use Terminal Server you can
run your Alaska Xabse applications without problem, you can print in the
remote printers, etc...

Finaly I don't use Azure because it is more expensive than my old local
hardware, when my hardware dies, probably I wil use Azure one... but I
will use 2 x XEON, 32 GB RAM, 16 Cores 2 Proc, RAID 1 SSD 128 GB for
DBF/CDX local files + RAID 1 HDD 1TB storage backups, programas, etc.
for only 20 concurrent users.

By the moment it works fine, my DBF files has less than 500.000 rec so
it works fast...

Daniel Faus