Alaska Software Inc. - wish: better template completion
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: wish: better template completion
Simone Degl'Innocentiwish: better template completion
on Wed, 07 Jan 2004 10:37:00 +0100
Hello
I don't know if it is already present and not documented but..
In multiedit for dos it was possible to

write if+space and automatically expand to if-endif block (in vx you can
write ifn+ctrl-J)
write ife+space and automatically expand to if-else-endif block (in vx you
can write ife+ctrl-J)
write for+space and automatically expand to for-next block
write #d (without space!) and automatically expand to #define
write #in (without space!) and automatically expand to #include ".ch"
also it was possible simply to write *something*+space and multi edit expand
something :=
for example
cName+space -> cName :=
where something is supposed to be a variable name, instead if I write
use+space or
next+space or
functionname()+space
are not expanded because are recognized like commands or functions
again,
writing
test( -> expand to test() (automatically insert the ")")
or
x[ -> expand to x[] (automatically insert the "]")
or
{| -> expand to a codeblock{|| }
..and so on

in VX you have to press ctrl-J but I think could be faster to write without
having to press ctrl-j.
the best should be to let the user choose the multi-edit mode or standard
mode.
Thanks
Simone
Georg Lorrig Re: wish: better template completion
on Wed, 07 Jan 2004 10:44:21 +0100
I agree with Simone.

Georg S. Lorrig
Phil Ide
Re: wish: better template completion
on Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:30:25 +0000
Simone,

> I don't know if it is already present and not documented but..
> In multiedit for dos it was possible to
>
> write if+space and automatically expand to if-endif block (in vx you can
> write ifn+ctrl-J)

Having used various editors in the past which supported template editing
(including ME,MEW,ED4D,ED4W and others), I decided I didn't like it because
they all expanded templates to the case defined in the template file.  I
also quickly realised that having the "endif" added for me did nothing for
my productivity, and since I indent diligently, I always properly closed
structures.

That said, for those that do feel a benefit, I would suggest that the
mechanism be either automatic (a'la MEW) or controlled (i.e. press a key
such as Ctrl-J).  Setting automatic or not should be a toggle in options,
and the key combo should be selectable for user preference.

Regards,

Phil Ide

***************************************
* Xbase++ FAQ, Libraries and Sources: *
* goto: http://www.idep.org.uk/xbase  *
***************************************

DATA TRANSFER ERROR: please remove cat from modem.
James Loughner Re: wish: better template completion
on Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:32:39 -0500
I agree with you Phil.

Jim

Phil Ide wrote:

> Simone,
>

>>I don't know if it is already present and not documented but..
>>In multiedit for dos it was possible to
>>
>>write if+space and automatically expand to if-endif block (in vx you can
>>write ifn+ctrl-J)
>

> Having used various editors in the past which supported template editing
> (including ME,MEW,ED4D,ED4W and others), I decided I didn't like it because
> they all expanded templates to the case defined in the template file.  I
> also quickly realised that having the "endif" added for me did nothing for
> my productivity, and since I indent diligently, I always properly closed
> structures.
>
> That said, for those that do feel a benefit, I would suggest that the
> mechanism be either automatic (a'la MEW) or controlled (i.e. press a key
> such as Ctrl-J).  Setting automatic or not should be a toggle in options,
> and the key combo should be selectable for user preference.
>
> Regards,
Andreas Herdt Re: wish: better template completion
on Wed, 07 Jan 2004 13:19:50 +0100
I agree (allthough I do not relly know those editors)

However, we know that there are a bunch of issues that
can make the editor even better then it is.

We work on that for VX Final.

Regards
   Andreas Herdt
   [Alaska Research & Development]

Simone Degl'Innocenti wrote:

> Hello
> I don't know if it is already present and not documented but..
> In multiedit for dos it was possible to
>
> write if+space and automatically expand to if-endif block (in vx you can
> write ifn+ctrl-J)
> write ife+space and automatically expand to if-else-endif block (in vx you
> can write ife+ctrl-J)
> write for+space and automatically expand to for-next block
> write #d (without space!) and automatically expand to #define
> write #in (without space!) and automatically expand to #include ".ch"
> also it was possible simply to write *something*+space and multi edit expand
> something :=
> for example
> cName+space -> cName :=
> where something is supposed to be a variable name, instead if I write
> use+space or
> next+space or
> functionname()+space
> are not expanded because are recognized like commands or functions
> again,
> writing
> test( -> expand to test() (automatically insert the ")")
> or
> x[ -> expand to x[] (automatically insert the "]")
> or
> {| -> expand to a codeblock{|| }
> ..and so on
>
> in VX you have to press ctrl-J but I think could be faster to write without
> having to press ctrl-j.
> the best should be to let the user choose the multi-edit mode or standard
> mode.
> Thanks
> Simone

Thomas Braun
Re: wish: better template completion
on Wed, 07 Jan 2004 22:14:29 +0100
Andreas Herdt wrote:

> I agree (allthough I do not relly know those editors)

IMO you should at least get yourself a copy of MultiEdit 9 and Ed4Win

> However, we know that there are a bunch of issues that
> can make the editor even better then it is.

Yes. There is a good reason why a companys existence can be based on
producing a programmers editor like MultiEdit.

An IDE is only as good as its editor

Thomas

Xbase++ FAQ : www.software-braun.de/xbfaq/xbfaq.htm
I believe I found the missing link between animal and civilized man. It is
us.
		-- Konrad Lorenz
Andreas Herdt Re: wish: better template completion
on Thu, 08 Jan 2004 12:09:32 +0100
Thomas Braun wrote:

> Andreas Herdt wrote:
>

>>I agree (allthough I do not relly know those editors)
>

> IMO you should at least get yourself a copy of MultiEdit 9 and Ed4Win
>

>>However, we know that there are a bunch of issues that
>>can make the editor even better then it is.
>

> Yes. There is a good reason why a companys existence can be based on
> producing a programmers editor like MultiEdit.
>
> An IDE is only as good as its editor

NO!

An IDE is as good as it is able to integrate.
The editor is a necessary part but it is not the only one.

For example, we have invested a big amount of time for implementing
keybord navigation. This makes VX really usefull and has nothing to
do with the editor.

I post my opinion here since I know that the editor is the holy grale
for a programmer and we have been veeeeery anxious with the release
because of the editor.

On the other hand, we KNOW that this is only a matter of becoming
used to a tool.

We really appreciate all the wishes and thoughts about what editor
features to implement for next release, nevertheless there is lots
and lots of other stuff that make the VX usefull and that we must
not forget to provide.

Regards
   Andreas Herdt
   [Alaska Research & Development]
Joe Carrick - The ManiaccRe: wish: better template completion
on Thu, 08 Jan 2004 05:49:07 -0800
Hi Andreas,

One of the things I would like to see in the editor is better control of the
indent feature.

When  I enter an if/elseif/else/endif for example, I would especially like
the editor to recognize that elseif/else/endif should be "un-indented".
It's annoying to have to backspace before typing an else, etc.

I realize that Ctrl-J will "complete" the construct, but that's not the way
In like to work.

-Joe

"Andreas Herdt" <andreas.herdt@alaska-research.com> wrote in message
> Thomas Braun wrote:
>
> > Andreas Herdt wrote:
> >

> >>I agree (allthough I do not relly know those editors)
> >

> > IMO you should at least get yourself a copy of MultiEdit 9 and Ed4Win
> >

> >>However, we know that there are a bunch of issues that
> >>can make the editor even better then it is.
> >

> > Yes. There is a good reason why a companys existence can be based on
> > producing a programmers editor like MultiEdit.
> >
> > An IDE is only as good as its editor
>
> NO!
>
> An IDE is as good as it is able to integrate.
> The editor is a necessary part but it is not the only one.
>
> For example, we have invested a big amount of time for implementing
> keybord navigation. This makes VX really usefull and has nothing to
> do with the editor.
>
> I post my opinion here since I know that the editor is the holy grale
> for a programmer and we have been veeeeery anxious with the release
> because of the editor.
>
> On the other hand, we KNOW that this is only a matter of becoming
> used to a tool.
>
> We really appreciate all the wishes and thoughts about what editor
> features to implement for next release, nevertheless there is lots
> and lots of other stuff that make the VX usefull and that we must
> not forget to provide.
>

> --
>
> Regards
>    Andreas Herdt
>    [Alaska Research & Development]

Andreas Herdt Re: wish: better template completion
on Thu, 08 Jan 2004 16:32:56 +0100
Joe Carrick - The Maniacc wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> One of the things I would like to see in the editor is better control of the
> indent feature.
>
> When  I enter an if/elseif/else/endif for example, I would especially like
> the editor to recognize that elseif/else/endif should be "un-indented".
> It's annoying to have to backspace before typing an else, etc.
>
> I realize that Ctrl-J will "complete" the construct, but that's not the way
> In like to work.

This one is on the list allready. It seems to me that this kind of
editing is a Must for the editor.

I simply can not give an estimate of availability.