Alaska Software Inc. - Debugger Mystery
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Debugger Mystery
Donald R. KeatingDebugger Mystery
on Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:59:15 -0400
Hi Y'all,

Just compiled and linked release version of my app.

When I try to run it on a Vista system it barfs for the XPPDBGC.DLL	 and
won't run.

Same EXE runs fine on an XP system and a Win7 system where I tested after
removing the XPPDBGC.DLL from the path.

What might be causing the problem?

    >don<
Donald R. KeatingRe: Debugger Mystery
on Fri, 19 Mar 2010 05:43:22 -0400
I found "stray" copy of the DLL available on the Win7 and XP machines.

So, now must determine why the "release" version needs it.

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:59:15 -0400, Donald R. Keating wrote:

> Hi Y'all,
>
> Just compiled and linked release version of my app.
>
> When I try to run it on a Vista system it barfs for the XPPDBGC.DLL	 and
> won't run.
>
> Same EXE runs fine on an XP system and a Win7 system where I tested after
> removing the XPPDBGC.DLL from the path.
>
> What might be causing the problem?
>
>     >don<
James Loughner Re: Debugger Mystery
on Fri, 19 Mar 2010 10:49:26 -0400
Maybe one of your OBJ or LIBs still uses it. But IMHO just include it
what does it hurt?

Jim

On 03/19/2010 05:43 AM, Donald R. Keating wrote:
> I found "stray" copy of the DLL available on the Win7 and XP machines.
>
> So, now must determine why the "release" version needs it.
>
>    >don<
>
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:59:15 -0400, Donald R. Keating wrote:
>
>> Hi Y'all,
>>
>> Just compiled and linked release version of my app.
>>
>> When I try to run it on a Vista system it barfs for the XPPDBGC.DLL	 and
>> won't run.
>>
>> Same EXE runs fine on an XP system and a Win7 system where I tested after
>> removing the XPPDBGC.DLL from the path.
>>
>> What might be causing the problem?
>>
>>     >don<
Donald R. KeatingRe: Debugger Mystery
on Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:53:20 -0400
Hi Jim,

More investigation revealed a DLL I built had the debugger in it for
testing and I forgot about it.  It's fixed now.

However, don't agree with your opinion.  If something isn't needed, take it
out.

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 10:49:26 -0400, James Loughner wrote:

> Maybe one of your OBJ or LIBs still uses it. But IMHO just include it
> what does it hurt?
>
> Jim
>

> On 03/19/2010 05:43 AM, Donald R. Keating wrote:
> > I found "stray" copy of the DLL available on the Win7 and XP machines.
> >
> > So, now must determine why the "release" version needs it.
> >
> >    >don<
> >
> > On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:59:15 -0400, Donald R. Keating wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Y'all,
> >>
> >> Just compiled and linked release version of my app.
> >>
> >> When I try to run it on a Vista system it barfs for the XPPDBGC.DLL
and
> >> won't run.
> >>
> >> Same EXE runs fine on an XP system and a Win7 system where I tested
after
> >> removing the XPPDBGC.DLL from the path.
> >>
> >> What might be causing the problem?
> >>
> >>     >don<
James Loughner Re: Debugger Mystery
on Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:37:18 -0400
I always send everything. Just to be sure I know exactly what is there.
And I only need to update the exe and I know that the Xbase++ DLL's are
all there. No guessing. LOL

Jim

On 03/19/2010 03:53 PM, Donald R. Keating wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> More investigation revealed a DLL I built had the debugger in it for
> testing and I forgot about it.  It's fixed now.
>
> However, don't agree with your opinion.  If something isn't needed, take it
> out.
>
>    >don<
>

> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 10:49:26 -0400, James Loughner wrote:
>
>> Maybe one of your OBJ or LIBs still uses it. But IMHO just include it
>> what does it hurt?
>>
>> Jim
>>

>> On 03/19/2010 05:43 AM, Donald R. Keating wrote:
>>> I found "stray" copy of the DLL available on the Win7 and XP machines.
>>>
>>> So, now must determine why the "release" version needs it.
>>>
>>>    >don<

> and

> after

Joe Carrick Re: Debugger Mystery
on Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:10:53 -0700
Personally, I include all the files including runtime dll's in my
setup.exe so that everything is always current.  That way, whatever I
use to compile and link on my development system is automatically on the
user systems.

That said, I don't use the Debugger.  I have my own system that allows
me to turn my debug messages on/off at will.  It might not provide all
the same facility as the XBase++ debugger, but it gives me enough
information that I can get to the root of the problem very quickly and I
don't have to be at my system to do it.

-Joe

James Loughner wrote:
> I always send everything. Just to be sure I know exactly what is there.
> And I only need to update the exe and I know that the Xbase++ DLL's are
> all there. No guessing. LOL
>
> Jim
>
> On 03/19/2010 03:53 PM, Donald R. Keating wrote:
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> More investigation revealed a DLL I built had the debugger in it for
>> testing and I forgot about it.  It's fixed now.
>>
>> However, don't agree with your opinion.  If something isn't needed, take it
>> out.
>>
>>    >don<
>>

>> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 10:49:26 -0400, James Loughner wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe one of your OBJ or LIBs still uses it. But IMHO just include it
>>> what does it hurt?
>>>
>>> Jim

>> and

>> after

Donald R. KeatingRe: Debugger Mystery
on Fri, 19 Mar 2010 17:12:28 -0400
Guess I just can't forget when 10 MB was a gigantic HD.