Alaska Software Inc. - a text or prg file with chr(0) inside is truncated
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: a text or prg file with chr(0) inside is truncated
Simone Degl'Innocentia text or prg file with chr(0) inside is truncated
on Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:08:44 +0100
Hello

If a file (text o prg) contains a chr(0) character the editor shows only the
file until the chr(0), also if there are other text lines.

I know that the chr(0) should not be in a text file, but I found some old
.prg that had this problem, and other editor just ignored it.

I think that the VX editor should ignore the chr(0), maybe treating like a
space chr(32)

Thanks
Best regards,
Simone
Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Software]Re: a text or prg file with chr(0) inside is truncated
on Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:02:57 +0100
Simone,

 this is a serious bug in the VX editor. We added it to the
 list of known problems.  Should be fixed with the next
 release.

Steffen F. Pirsig,
Alaska Research & Development
Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
Fax:       +49/(0)6196/779999-23

"Simone Degl'Innocenti" <hot@albalog.it> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> If a file (text o prg) contains a chr(0) character the editor shows only
the
> file until the chr(0), also if there are other text lines.
>
> I know that the chr(0) should not be in a text file, but I found some old
> .prg that had this problem, and other editor just ignored it.
>
> I think that the VX editor should ignore the chr(0), maybe treating like a
> space chr(32)
>
> Thanks
> Best regards,
> Simone

Eric BreddamRe: a text or prg file with chr(0) inside is truncated
on Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:17:11 -0800
Personally, I'd rather it highlighted the Chr(0) rather than simply ignore
it/translate it to Chr(32).  With perhaps an option to translate & save.

I use other editors a lot to look at data files to ensure no Chr(0)'s are in
it - this being rough data supplied by customers/clients... and have
routines for translating them to Chr(32) but I like to know it's there when
I start rather than have it invisibly translate it.  Especially if I'm using
the editor in VX to look at data files rather than opening up a session of
some other tool.

I know we're talking about prg's here but and I did once have a similar
event as Simone's... switching to a hex editor showed me the problem from my
dos-based editor at the time.
Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Software]Re: a text or prg file with chr(0) inside is truncated
on Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:58:59 +0100
Eric,

we think VX should at least complain if this happens in case
we are talking about PRG or source files in general.

regards,

"Eric Breddam" <somdata@somdata.com> wrote in message
> Personally, I'd rather it highlighted the Chr(0) rather than simply
ignore
> it/translate it to Chr(32).  With perhaps an option to translate & save.
>
> I use other editors a lot to look at data files to ensure no Chr(0)'s are
in
> it - this being rough data supplied by customers/clients... and have
> routines for translating them to Chr(32) but I like to know it's there
when
> I start rather than have it invisibly translate it.  Especially if I'm
using
> the editor in VX to look at data files rather than opening up a session of
> some other tool.
>
> I know we're talking about prg's here but and I did once have a similar
> event as Simone's... switching to a hex editor showed me the problem from
my
> dos-based editor at the time.

Phil Ide
Re: a text or prg file with chr(0) inside is truncated
on Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:02:48 +0000
Steffen,

>  this is a serious bug in the VX editor. We added it to the
>  list of known problems.  Should be fixed with the next
>  release.

Is it?  Does the compiler recognise Chr(0) as white-space?  If the compiler
would barf at this:

STATEMENT param1 OPTION Chr(0)identifier
- or -
STATEMENT param1 OPTION Chr(0) identifier

Then I'd say the editor should too.  I would be happy to see such
characters highlighted and the user asked whether it should be removed or
converted to space.

Regards,

Phil Ide

***************************************
* Xbase++ FAQ, Libraries and Sources: *
* goto: http://www.idep.org.uk/xbase  *
***************************************

If at first you don't succeed, call it Ver 1.0
Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Software]Re: a text or prg file with chr(0) inside is truncated
on Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:54:44 +0100
Phil,

 the point is that the compiler complains about chr(0) in literals,
 however it stops compiling if it reaches a null-character in
 the source on the syntax level.

 Anyway, because the VX editor should be used to edit
 not only PRG files it at least should complain if a
 special-character such as chr(0) is in the source.

"Phil Ide" <phil@idep.org.uk> wrote in message
> Steffen,
>
> >  this is a serious bug in the VX editor. We added it to the
> >  list of known problems.  Should be fixed with the next
> >  release.
>
> Is it?  Does the compiler recognise Chr(0) as white-space?  If the
compiler
> would barf at this:
>
> STATEMENT param1 OPTION Chr(0)identifier
> - or -
> STATEMENT param1 OPTION Chr(0) identifier
>

> Then I'd say the editor should too.  I would be happy to see such
> characters highlighted and the user asked whether it should be removed or
> converted to space.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Phil Ide
>
> ***************************************
> * Xbase++ FAQ, Libraries and Sources: *
> * goto: http://www.idep.org.uk/xbase  *
> ***************************************
>
> If at first you don't succeed, call it Ver 1.0
Klemens LichterRe: a text or prg file with chr(0) inside is truncated
on Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:59:24 +0100
"Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Software]" <steffen.pirsig@alaska-software.net>
schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:JhmnGIl8DHA.3800@S15147418...

>  Anyway, because the VX editor should be used to edit
>  not only PRG files it at least should complain if a
>  special-character such as chr(0) is in the source.

Hi Steffen,

before VX I ised for about 20 years my old DOS text editor (it was a product
from WordPerfect Company and like a smal DOS WordPerfect textprocessor). It
had no capabilities to do text formatting and all this stuff, but it was
able to open very large files and open binary files in a special modus and
show them either as Text or in a hex dump view. ASCII characters from 0 to
31 can be shown as ^? = ASCII 0 and ^A to ^_ (= ASCII 31) so you can see at
first glance that there are special characters.
So either implement a special modus for editing files that contain such
characters (maybe the editor can automatically enter this modus if it
encounters such characters while opening a file) or have it allways in such
modus. Than there only should be a (configurable) way to explicitely show
these characters.
By the way, what about a special way to binary edit DBF files for repair
purpose? Something like a header editor in a special window and the data of
the file as ASCII text? But this is just an idea, nothing that has to be
done within the next days...

Klemens
Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Software]Re: a text or prg file with chr(0) inside is truncated
on Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:48:01 +0100
Klemes,

 thanks for your suggestion. One thing should be noted,
 the design of VX allows us add any type of editor. For
 example a FormDesigner is just a special type of
 Editor for Form-Files/Source-Files. Therefore the
 design of VX allows us to add also some sort of
 special DBF editor at some point in the future.

 However, you are right - this is something for a later
 release not yet.