Alaska Software Inc. - ADS Error 5050 Name to long
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: ADS Error 5050 Name to long
Jack DuijfADS Error 5050 Name to long
on Mon, 24 Sep 2018 13:34:09 +0200
Hello,

I have a encrypted DBF table.

DbUseAre(.T.,"ADSDBE","D:\Apps_Jds\SalonNet\Data_010023\R_KLANTEN_124517.DBF")
? Alias()  --> "R_KLANTEN_124517"

Ax_SetPass("MyPassword")
 ends up in an error
oError:description = "Error 5050:  The name given was too long.  Parameter 3."

? Ax_TableType()
 Also ends up in an error
oError:description = "Error 5050:  The name given was too long.  Parameter 3."

The same table is accessable in ADS Data Architect (After enter the password)

What can i do?
Regards
Jack Duijf

Also a member off the XXP (http://www.xxp.nl)
Jonathan LeemingRe: ADS Error 5050 Name to long
on Mon, 24 Sep 2018 08:17:50 -0600
On 9/24/2018 5:34 AM, Jack Duijf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a encrypted DBF table.
>
> DbUseAre(.T.,"ADSDBE","D:\Apps_Jds\SalonNet\Data_010023\R_KLANTEN_124517.DBF")
> ? Alias()  --> "R_KLANTEN_124517"
>
> Ax_SetPass("MyPassword")
>  ends up in an error
> oError:description = "Error 5050:  The name given was too long.  Parameter 3."
>
> ? Ax_TableType()
>  Also ends up in an error
> oError:description = "Error 5050:  The name given was too long.  Parameter 3."
>
> The same table is accessable in ADS Data Architect (After enter the password)
>
> What can i do?
> Regards
> Jack Duijf

> Also a member off the XXP (http://www.xxp.nl)

Hi Jack,

I use also ADS and replicated your problem by renaming a data file I use
from "program.dbf" to "programdatafile.dbf" and then tried to open it...
  Error 5050.

I then specified an alias name rather than relying on the DBUseArea() to
assign a default.  I chose "program" as the alias but left the longer
name for the actual DBF file.  This allowed me to open
programdatafile.dbf & access it successfully.

Looking in some ADS documentaion...

   Element                           Specification
   Long file names                   file name = max. 255 characters

   Max. length for alias names       10 characters
   Max. length for field names       10*) characters
   Max. number of open index files   15 per workarea
   Max. number of tags in CDX files  50
   Max. record length                65530 bytes
   Supported data types for index,   C D L N
   filter and FOR expressions

   Maximum password length           8 characters
   for data encryption

This was from an old ads help file but looking at the latest XBase 2.0
documents the specs appear to be the same.

Might I suggest that you try accessing your datafile by specifying an
alias of 10 characters or less...

DbUseArea(.T.,"ADSDBE","D:\Apps_Jds\SalonNet\Data_010023\R_KLANTEN_124517.DBF","R_KLANTEN")

I did not check out the encryption aspect by noticed that your
"MyPassword" exceeds the XBase documented limitation of 10 bytes.

Hope this helps... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada