Alaska Software Inc. - Wish: Cursor positioning when moving cursor up and down
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Wish: Cursor positioning when moving cursor up and down
Carsten PosingiesWish: Cursor positioning when moving cursor up and down
on Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:00:54 +0100
Hello ARD,

my current "IDE" (i.e. the editor "TextPad") has a very nice behaviour
when editing code that is kind of "grid-ish". Well, mmm, an example is
better than 1000 words:

a[1] := "1,2,3,4"
a[2] := "1,2,3,4"
a[3] := "1,2,3,4"
a[4] := "1,2,3,4"

Let's assume we had do modify the strings and to replace all "3"s with
"5"s. You'd probably position the cursor on the topmost "3", press the
[Ins] key, type a "5", and then... right: press the down-arrow and then
the left-arrow. TextPad notices this, and for the next round (i.e. when
arrow-downing to the 3rd row), it would adjust the cursor position such
that the cursor directly sits on the 3rd row's "3" again (instead of the
following comma). No need to press the left-arrow again. I love this
feature very much.

In case it was suggested before, just take this post as a "I want that,
too!"

Regards from Germany
Carsten
Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]Re: Cursor positioning when moving cursor up and down
on Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:51:05 +0100
Carsten,

I tried to reproduce your feature with write - which is
textpad and it is not working so please can you
point me to an editor which is behaving as you
described.

regards,
Steffen F. Pirsig,
Alaska Research & Development
Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
Fax:       +49/(0)6196/779999-23

"Carsten Posingies" <c.posingies@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hello ARD,
>
> my current "IDE" (i.e. the editor "TextPad") has a very nice behaviour
> when editing code that is kind of "grid-ish". Well, mmm, an example is
> better than 1000 words:
>
> a[1] := "1,2,3,4"
> a[2] := "1,2,3,4"
> a[3] := "1,2,3,4"
> a[4] := "1,2,3,4"
>
> Let's assume we had do modify the strings and to replace all "3"s with
> "5"s. You'd probably position the cursor on the topmost "3", press the
> [Ins] key, type a "5", and then... right: press the down-arrow and then
> the left-arrow. TextPad notices this, and for the next round (i.e. when
> arrow-downing to the 3rd row), it would adjust the cursor position such
> that the cursor directly sits on the 3rd row's "3" again (instead of the
> following comma). No need to press the left-arrow again. I love this
> feature very much.
>
> In case it was suggested before, just take this post as a "I want that,
> too!"
>
> Regards from Germany
> Carsten

Carsten PosingiesRe: Cursor positioning when moving cursor up and down
on Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:30:26 +0100
Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research] wrote:
> Carsten,
>
> I tried to reproduce your feature with write - which is
> textpad and it is not working so please can you
> point me to an editor which is behaving as you
> described.

Hi Steffen,

www.textpad.com

Regards,
Carsten
Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]Re: Cursor positioning when moving cursor up and down
on Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:43:02 +0100
Carsten,

 thank you for the link - now we got it!

 To be fair, TextPad is not applying any type
 of AI to handle that type of editing. What it does
 is to use the last column position navigated to
 with the cursor-keys as the position for the
 row up or down positioning. It ignores characters
 inserted or deleted using backspace when applying
 a column-position.

 After having reviewed that behaviour when writing
 source-code, specifically when it comes to editing
 arrays or tables in general we can see how this feature
 does simple increase developers productivity.

 Therefore we added it to the whishlist as some
 sort of configurable behaviour of the Editor.

 HTH

> Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research] wrote:
> > Carsten,
> >
> > I tried to reproduce your feature with write - which is
> > textpad and it is not working so please can you
> > point me to an editor which is behaving as you
> > described.
>
> Hi Steffen,
>
> www.textpad.com
>
> Regards,
> Carsten

Carsten PosingiesRe: Cursor positioning when moving cursor up and down
on Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:42:51 +0100
Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research] wrote:
> Carsten,
>
>  After having reviewed that behaviour when writing
>  source-code, specifically when it comes to editing
>  arrays or tables in general we can see how this feature
>  does simple increase developers productivity.
>
>  Therefore we added it to the whishlist as some
>  sort of configurable behaviour of the Editor.

thx!