Alaska Software Inc. - Desktop App with Remote Db server
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Desktop App with Remote Db server
Paul ChongDesktop App with Remote Db server
on Thu, 01 Feb 2018 14:08:37 +0800
Hi All,

I just wonder if anyone has done a desktop app using web db server.

The reason is that myself is not a web programmer & the learning curve will
be time consuming.

I want to install my local app to PC in different location and share the
same db remotely. In other word, the data is sync.

Or this is not a prefer method?

TIA

Paul
James LoughnerRe: Desktop App with Remote Db server
on Thu, 01 Feb 2018 18:27:15 -0500
Web connection is SLOOOOW compared to a local network. If you have any
significant data to move it is too slow. SQL back-ends are some what
better since they only transfer needed sets and index updates and
searches are done on the server. Best is to set up a cloud with a
permanent data area that can be attached to instances of Windows running
the program for each user that needs one who connects remotely.

Jim

On 02/01/2018 01:08 AM, Paul Chong wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just wonder if anyone has done a desktop app using web db server.
>
> The reason is that myself is not a web programmer & the learning curve will
> be time consuming.
>
> I want to install my local app to PC in different location and share the
> same db remotely. In other word, the data is sync.
>
> Or this is not a prefer method?
>
> TIA
>
> Paul

Paul ChongRe: Desktop App with Remote Db server
on Sun, 11 Feb 2018 16:02:25 +0800
Hi,

Yes. i agreed with that the speed will be an issue. Now i am considering to
use sql. But i will test the access speed 1st. Byt, how do i do this,

> set up a cloud with a
> permanent data area that can be attached to instances of Windows running
> the program for each user that needs one who connects remotely.

Regards

Paul

On Thu, 01 Feb 2018 18:27:15 -0500, James Loughner wrote:

> Web connection is SLOOOOW compared to a local network. If you have any
> significant data to move it is too slow. SQL back-ends are some what
> better since they only transfer needed sets and index updates and
> searches are done on the server. Best is to set up a cloud with a
> permanent data area that can be attached to instances of Windows running
> the program for each user that needs one who connects remotely.
>
> Jim
>
> On 02/01/2018 01:08 AM, Paul Chong wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I just wonder if anyone has done a desktop app using web db server.
>>
>> The reason is that myself is not a web programmer & the learning curve will
>> be time consuming.
>>
>> I want to install my local app to PC in different location and share the
>> same db remotely. In other word, the data is sync.
>>
>> Or this is not a prefer method?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Paul

Rudolf ReinthalerRe: Desktop App with Remote Db server
on Mon, 05 Feb 2018 09:17:55 +0100
Hi,
the simplest and cheapest way is TSPlus, you even can access the app
with a browser, all is running on one server.
regards
Rudolf

Am 01.02.2018 um 07:08 schrieb Paul Chong:
> Hi All,
>
> I just wonder if anyone has done a desktop app using web db server.
>
> The reason is that myself is not a web programmer & the learning curve will
> be time consuming.
>
> I want to install my local app to PC in different location and share the
> same db remotely. In other word, the data is sync.
>
> Or this is not a prefer method?
>
> TIA
>
> Paul

---
Paul ChongRe: Desktop App with Remote Db server
on Sun, 11 Feb 2018 16:48:16 +0800
Hi,

I have just read their product review on their website and tested their
demo cloud apps. Looks like now my db app can be accessed remotely also....
This is really a big help to those db apps.

Thanks

Paul

On Mon, 05 Feb 2018 09:17:55 +0100, Rudolf Reinthaler wrote:

> Hi,
> the simplest and cheapest way is TSPlus, you even can access the app
> with a browser, all is running on one server.
> regards
> Rudolf
>
> Am 01.02.2018 um 07:08 schrieb Paul Chong:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I just wonder if anyone has done a desktop app using web db server.
>>
>> The reason is that myself is not a web programmer & the learning curve will
>> be time consuming.
>>
>> I want to install my local app to PC in different location and share the
>> same db remotely. In other word, the data is sync.
>>
>> Or this is not a prefer method?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Paul
>>

> ---
Rudolf ReinthalerRe: Desktop App with Remote Db server
on Wed, 14 Feb 2018 12:35:54 +0100
Hello Paul,
and it is really cheap compared to other solutions.
regards
Rudolf

Am 11.02.2018 um 09:48 schrieb Paul Chong:
> Hi,
>
> I have just read their product review on their website and tested their
> demo cloud apps. Looks like now my db app can be accessed remotely also....
> This is really a big help to those db apps.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul
>
> On Mon, 05 Feb 2018 09:17:55 +0100, Rudolf Reinthaler wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> the simplest and cheapest way is TSPlus, you even can access the app
>> with a browser, all is running on one server.
>> regards
>> Rudolf
>>
>> Am 01.02.2018 um 07:08 schrieb Paul Chong:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I just wonder if anyone has done a desktop app using web db server.
>>>
>>> The reason is that myself is not a web programmer & the learning curve will
>>> be time consuming.
>>>
>>> I want to install my local app to PC in different location and share the
>>> same db remotely. In other word, the data is sync.
>>>
>>> Or this is not a prefer method?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>

>> ---
Paul ChongRe: Desktop App with Remote Db server
on Sat, 17 Feb 2018 16:13:44 +0800
Hello Rudolf,

Yes, appearently their charges is very affordable. Just another concern,
what do you think about the security of this kind of web enable
application? I suppose its more secure than a web based app since
protection is handle only by windows & TSplus server.

Regards

Paul

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 12:35:54 +0100, Rudolf Reinthaler wrote:

> Hello Paul,
> and it is really cheap compared to other solutions.
> regards
> Rudolf
>
> Am 11.02.2018 um 09:48 schrieb Paul Chong:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have just read their product review on their website and tested their
>> demo cloud apps. Looks like now my db app can be accessed remotely also....
>> This is really a big help to those db apps.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> On Mon, 05 Feb 2018 09:17:55 +0100, Rudolf Reinthaler wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> the simplest and cheapest way is TSPlus, you even can access the app
>>> with a browser, all is running on one server.
>>> regards
>>> Rudolf

>>> ---
Paul ChongRe: Desktop App with Remote Db server
on Fri, 23 Feb 2018 22:15:24 +0800
Hello Rudolf,

I am having problem accessing TSPlus from outside my network. Can you help?

I can access using localhost on my Win7 but external network cannot access.

TIA

Paul