Alaska Software Inc. - Hilighting sugestion
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Hilighting sugestion
Carlos Beling Hilighting sugestion
on Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:47:02 -0200
I think that it is welcome that Xbp's, methods, member variables and
functions become each one hilighted in different color.

Beling
Best regards
Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]Re: Hilighting sugestion
on Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:45:06 +0100
Carlos,

 I am not sure if this would make the source-code really
 more readable. Also this feature is time consuming
 because of the need to match for known symbols.

 However I am interested in the opinion of all other
 developers out there about your issue.

 Feedback needed!

 regards
 Steffen F. Pirsig,
Alaska Research & Development
Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
Fax:       +49/(0)6196/779999-23

"Carlos Beling" <beling@uai.com.br> wrote in message
> I think that it is welcome that Xbp's, methods, member variables and
> functions become each one hilighted in different color.
>
> Beling
> Best regards

Joe CarrickRe: Hilighting sugestion
on Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:42:25 -0800
I tend to agree that would be too much.  Having written an app for printing
source in color, I know just how complex this can be.

-Joe

"Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]" <steffen.pirsig@alaska-research.com>
wrote in message news:GYvwI%2342DHA.2164@S15147418...
> Carlos,
>
>  I am not sure if this would make the source-code really
>  more readable. Also this feature is time consuming
>  because of the need to match for known symbols.
>
>  However I am interested in the opinion of all other
>  developers out there about your issue.
>
>  Feedback needed!
>
>  regards
>  Steffen F. Pirsig,
> Alaska Research & Development
> Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
> Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
> E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
> Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
> Fax:       +49/(0)6196/779999-23
>
> "Carlos Beling" <beling@uai.com.br> wrote in message
> > I think that it is welcome that Xbp's, methods, member variables and
> > functions become each one hilighted in different color.
> >
> > Beling
> > Best regards

Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]Re: Hilighting sugestion
on Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:38:01 +0100
Joe,

thank you for your feedback.

"Joe Carrick" <joe.carrick@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
> I tend to agree that would be too much.  Having written an app for
printing
> source in color, I know just how complex this can be.
>
> -Joe
>
> "Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]" <steffen.pirsig@alaska-research.com>
> wrote in message news:GYvwI%2342DHA.2164@S15147418...
> > Carlos,
> >
> >  I am not sure if this would make the source-code really
> >  more readable. Also this feature is time consuming
> >  because of the need to match for known symbols.
> >
> >  However I am interested in the opinion of all other
> >  developers out there about your issue.
> >
> >  Feedback needed!
> >
> >  regards
> >  Steffen F. Pirsig,
> > Alaska Research & Development
> > Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
> > Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
> > E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
> > Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
> > Fax:       +49/(0)6196/779999-23
> >
> > "Carlos Beling" <beling@uai.com.br> wrote in message
> > > I think that it is welcome that Xbp's, methods, member variables and
> > > functions become each one hilighted in different color.
> > >
> > > Beling
> > > Best regards

Carsten PosingiesRe: Hilighting sugestion
on Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:38:04 +0100
Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research] wrote:
> Carlos,
>
>  I am not sure if this would make the source-code really
>  more readable. Also this feature is time consuming
>  because of the need to match for known symbols.
>
>  However I am interested in the opinion of all other
>  developers out there about your issue.

Steffen,

are there plans for custom highlighting? The editor I mentioned earlier
in another posting (TextPad) has several *.syn files for syntax
highlighting. There you can enter up to six groups where you put the
keywords (one each line). In the program's options you can then assign
each of the groups a font style (fore-/back-color, bold, italic). So,
everyone may happily group the keywords as he wants to. Unlike other
editors designed for software development, this philosophy of syntax
highlighting setup is yet not perfect, but ways easier than that of,
e.g., Phase 5.

Carsten
Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]Re: Hilighting sugestion
on Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:36:54 +0100
Carsten,

 no, we don't have any plans for custom syntax-highlighting.

 The point to understand is. that syntax-highlighting.
 inside VX is not a isolated feature. In fact VX uses
 some of the Xbase++ compiler DLLs to analyse the
 source and this way get knowledge about the complete
 syntax-graph.of your source. This syntax.-graph is
 used to build syntax-coloring, but also to provide
 jumping such as goto-declaration, complete class,
 and support IntelliHelp with context information.

 We designed it that way to have the ability to lateron
 add more Intelligent support to the source-editor.

 Maybe at some point in the future and after we made
 available the customizing interfaces to the 3PP folks
 they will add some sort of customizing syntax highlithing.

 HTH

"Carsten Posingies" <c.posingies@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research] wrote:
> > Carlos,
> >
> >  I am not sure if this would make the source-code really
> >  more readable. Also this feature is time consuming
> >  because of the need to match for known symbols.
> >
> >  However I am interested in the opinion of all other
> >  developers out there about your issue.
>
> Steffen,
>
> are there plans for custom highlighting? The editor I mentioned earlier
> in another posting (TextPad) has several *.syn files for syntax
> highlighting. There you can enter up to six groups where you put the
> keywords (one each line). In the program's options you can then assign
> each of the groups a font style (fore-/back-color, bold, italic). So,
> everyone may happily group the keywords as he wants to. Unlike other
> editors designed for software development, this philosophy of syntax
> highlighting setup is yet not perfect, but ways easier than that of,
> e.g., Phase 5.
>
> Carsten

Adolf HebelkaRe: Hilighting sugestion
on Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:44:24 +0100
Hi Steffen,
   I use in my editor (MED) for words "Function" and "Method" red color . It
is better for my orientation.
Best regards,
                        Adolf Hebelka

"Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]" <steffen.pirsig@alaska-research.com>
pe v diskusnm pspvku news:GYvwI#42DHA.2164@S15147418...
> Carlos,
>
>  I am not sure if this would make the source-code really
>  more readable. Also this feature is time consuming
>  because of the need to match for known symbols.
>
>  However I am interested in the opinion of all other
>  developers out there about your issue.
>
>  Feedback needed!
>
>  regards
>  Steffen F. Pirsig,
> Alaska Research & Development
> Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
> Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
> E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
> Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
> Fax:       +49/(0)6196/779999-23
>
> "Carlos Beling" <beling@uai.com.br> wrote in message
> > I think that it is welcome that Xbp's, methods, member variables and
> > functions become each one hilighted in different color.
> >
> > Beling
> > Best regards

Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]Re: Hilighting sugestion
on Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:37:27 +0100
Adolf,

thanks for your feedback.

"Adolf Hebelka" <ahebelka@volny.cz> wrote in message
> Hi Steffen,
>    I use in my editor (MED) for words "Function" and "Method" red color .
It
> is better for my orientation.
> Best regards,
>                         Adolf Hebelka
>
> "Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]" <steffen.pirsig@alaska-research.com>
> pe v diskusnm pspvku news:GYvwI#42DHA.2164@S15147418...
> > Carlos,
> >
> >  I am not sure if this would make the source-code really
> >  more readable. Also this feature is time consuming
> >  because of the need to match for known symbols.
> >
> >  However I am interested in the opinion of all other
> >  developers out there about your issue.
> >
> >  Feedback needed!
> >
> >  regards
> >  Steffen F. Pirsig,
> > Alaska Research & Development
> > Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
> > Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
> > E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
> > Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
> > Fax:       +49/(0)6196/779999-23
> >
> > "Carlos Beling" <beling@uai.com.br> wrote in message
> > > I think that it is welcome that Xbp's, methods, member variables and
> > > functions become each one hilighted in different color.
> > >
> > > Beling
> > > Best regards

Mike WheatRe: Hilighting sugestion
on Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:58:47 -0500
Hi,

I also looked for custom syntax hilighting.
To my surprise it was not there.
I got real used to this in the CRiSP editor.

I know.  One thing at a time.  I would much rather have the form designer
first.

Mike
Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]Re: Hilighting sugestion
on Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:38:59 +0100
Hi Mike,

thank you for your feedback. Please
see my reply to Carsten in this thread
regarding custom syntax highlithing.

"Mike Wheat" <mikewheat@tm.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I also looked for custom syntax hilighting.
> To my surprise it was not there.
> I got real used to this in the CRiSP editor.
>
> I know.  One thing at a time.  I would much rather have the form designer
> first.
>
> Mike

Phil Ide
Re: Hilighting sugestion
on Fri, 16 Jan 2004 09:48:37 +0000
Steffen,

>  I am not sure if this would make the source-code really
>  more readable. Also this feature is time consuming
>  because of the need to match for known symbols.
>
>  However I am interested in the opinion of all other
>  developers out there about your issue.

As you know, I use Ed4W, which has a zillion 'classes' of tokens for
highlighting in different colours.

All very nice and useful, but if I had to rationalise it I could break it
down to 4 important classes:

  o Keywords
  o Comments
  o UDF, UDP, UDC and METHODS
  o Strings

That said, I spent many years using NE.com (Norton Editor) and debug.exe to
write programs, so while I appreciate syntax highlighting, I can easily
live without it.

Regards,

Phil Ide

***************************************
* Xbase++ FAQ, Libraries and Sources: *
* goto: http://www.idep.org.uk/xbase  *
***************************************

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!
Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]Re: Hilighting sugestion
on Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:39:41 +0100
Hi Phil,

 thank you very much for your feedback.

"Phil Ide" <phil@idep.org.uk> wrote in message
> Steffen,
>
> >  I am not sure if this would make the source-code really
> >  more readable. Also this feature is time consuming
> >  because of the need to match for known symbols.
> >
> >  However I am interested in the opinion of all other
> >  developers out there about your issue.
>
> As you know, I use Ed4W, which has a zillion 'classes' of tokens for
> highlighting in different colours.
>
> All very nice and useful, but if I had to rationalise it I could break it
> down to 4 important classes:
>
>   o Keywords
>   o Comments
>   o UDF, UDP, UDC and METHODS
>   o Strings
>
> That said, I spent many years using NE.com (Norton Editor) and debug.exe
> write programs, so while I appreciate syntax highlighting, I can easily
> live without it.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Phil Ide
>
> ***************************************
> * Xbase++ FAQ, Libraries and Sources: *
> * goto: http://www.idep.org.uk/xbase  *
> ***************************************
>
> If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!
Carlos Beling Re: Hilighting sugestion
on Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:30:25 -0200
Hi Steffen:
if it be made, when we write something wrong it is not highlited in the
source program and we can see it before occurs runtime errors. This
feature could be set for those that want it.

Beling
Best regards

Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research] wrote:
> Carlos,
>
>  I am not sure if this would make the source-code really
>  more readable. Also this feature is time consuming
>  because of the need to match for known symbols.
>
>  However I am interested in the opinion of all other
>  developers out there about your issue.
>
>  Feedback needed!
>
>  regards
>  Steffen F. Pirsig,
> Alaska Research & Development
> Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
> Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
> E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
> Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
> Fax:       +49/(0)6196/779999-23
>
> "Carlos Beling" <beling@uai.com.br> wrote in message
>
>>I think that it is welcome that Xbp's, methods, member variables and
>>functions become each one hilighted in different color.
>>
>>Beling
>>Best regards

Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]Re: Hilighting sugestion
on Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:53:35 +0100
Carlos,

 this feature is already on our todo-list, however
 we will not have it with the first release of Visual Xbase++.
 For some architectual reasons we have first complete
 some other work at the compiler.

> Hi Steffen:
> if it be made, when we write something wrong it is not highlited in the
> source program and we can see it before occurs runtime errors. This
> feature could be set for those that want it.
>
> Beling
> Best regards
>
> Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research] wrote:
> > Carlos,
> >
> >  I am not sure if this would make the source-code really
> >  more readable. Also this feature is time consuming
> >  because of the need to match for known symbols.
> >
> >  However I am interested in the opinion of all other
> >  developers out there about your issue.
> >
> >  Feedback needed!
> >
> >  regards
> >  Steffen F. Pirsig,
> > Alaska Research & Development
> > Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
> > Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
> > E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
> > Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
> > Fax:       +49/(0)6196/779999-23
> >
> > "Carlos Beling" <beling@uai.com.br> wrote in message
> >
> >>I think that it is welcome that Xbp's, methods, member variables and
> >>functions become each one hilighted in different color.
> >>
> >>Beling
> >>Best regards

Carlos Beling Re: Hilighting sugestion
on Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:51:38 -0200
Hi Steffen:

VX is already very good. I'm imagining how it will be in a couple of months.

Beling
Best regards.

Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research] wrote:

> Carlos,
>
>  this feature is already on our todo-list, however
>  we will not have it with the first release of Visual Xbase++.
>  For some architectual reasons we have first complete
>  some other work at the compiler.
>
>  HTH
>  Steffen F. Pirsig,
> Alaska Research & Development
> Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
> Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
> E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
> Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
> Fax:       +49/(0)6196/779999-23
>
> "Carlos Beling" <beling@uai.com.br> wrote in message
>
>>Hi Steffen:
>>if it be made, when we write something wrong it is not highlited in the
>>source program and we can see it before occurs runtime errors. This
>>feature could be set for those that want it.
>>
>>Beling
>>Best regards
>>
>>Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research] wrote:
>>
>>>Carlos,
>>>
>>> I am not sure if this would make the source-code really
>>> more readable. Also this feature is time consuming
>>> because of the need to match for known symbols.
>>>
>>> However I am interested in the opinion of all other
>>> developers out there about your issue.
>>>
>>> Feedback needed!
>>>
>>> regards
>>> Steffen F. Pirsig,
>>>---------------------------------------------------
>>>Alaska Research & Development
>>>Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
>>>Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
>>>E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
>>>Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
>>>Fax:       +49/(0)6196/779999-23
>>>---------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>>"Carlos Beling" <beling@uai.com.br> wrote in message

Luis VinagreRe: Hilighting sugestion
on Wed, 07 Apr 2004 10:05:09 +0200
Hi Steffen

I use MED and the only highlight I miss is for functions call:

    myFunc(......)

In MED the word before open brackets is highlited and this can be very
handy.

Regards

Luis