Alaska Software Inc. - Long Delay When Creating New Threads
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Long Delay When Creating New Threads
Scott KriseLong Delay When Creating New Threads
on Thu, 25 Apr 2019 16:13:36 -0400
Hello,

I am investigating some latency issues I've been experiencing, and I've
narrowed one of them down to the creation of new threads. I use the
tdlaunchpad from the TopDown library, but basically I'm finding that when
creating a new thread, there often times is a 10-15 second delay. The line
of code that is executing when the delay occurs is:

oThread := Thread():new()    create new thread object

Does anyone have a reason why this might occur? It seems to run quickly on
my laptop when running in a stand-alone mode, but I see the long delays when
running across the network when multiple users are logged in.

Thanks,

Scott
Jim LeeRe: Long Delay When Creating New Threads
on Thu, 25 Apr 2019 23:15:31 +0200
which Xbase++ Version are you talking about ?

> oThread := Thread():new()    create new thread object

---
http://www.avg.com
Scott KriseRe: Long Delay When Creating New Threads
on Mon, 29 Apr 2019 15:05:54 -0400
Sorry for the delay in responding....Im having trouble responding to the
newsgroup from my other pc.

I am using 1.90.355.

Thanks,

Scott

"Jim Lee" wrote in message

which Xbase++ Version are you talking about ?

> oThread := Thread():new()    create new thread object

---
http://www.avg.com
Scott KriseRe: Long Delay When Creating New Threads
on Thu, 23 May 2019 11:49:25 -0400
Hello Everyone. This problem is still happening...and its being particularly
bad today. Its taking 15-20 seconds in some cases between the time the new
thread creation begins and when it completes.

Any other suggestions on what might be causing this to happen?

Thanks!!

"Scott Krise"  wrote in message

Hello,

I am investigating some latency issues I've been experiencing, and I've
narrowed one of them down to the creation of new threads. I use the
tdlaunchpad from the TopDown library, but basically I'm finding that when
creating a new thread, there often times is a 10-15 second delay. The line
of code that is executing when the delay occurs is:

oThread := Thread():new()    create new thread object

Does anyone have a reason why this might occur? It seems to run quickly on
my laptop when running in a stand-alone mode, but I see the long delays when
running across the network when multiple users are logged in.

Thanks,

Scott
Jim LeeRe: Long Delay When Creating New Threads
on Fri, 24 May 2019 03:21:52 +0200
hi,

> Hello Everyone. This problem is still happening...

i don't think that Thread() itself is the Problem ... try a small Demo.
most it is the Environment so give us more Information

Anti-Virus ?
where is your EXE ? on Server or Client ?
what OS (Server / Client) ?
which v1.9x Hotfix are you using ?

---
http://www.avg.com
Jonathan LeemingRe: Long Delay When Creating New Threads
on Thu, 23 May 2019 21:49:44 -0600
On 5/23/2019 9:49 AM, Scott Krise wrote:
> Hello Everyone. This problem is still happening...and its being
> particularly bad today. Its taking 15-20 seconds in some cases between
> the time the new thread creation begins and when it completes.
>
> Any other suggestions on what might be causing this to happen?
>
> Thanks!!
>
> "Scott Krise"  wrote in message
>
> Hello,
>
> I am investigating some latency issues I've been experiencing, and I've
> narrowed one of them down to the creation of new threads. I use the
> tdlaunchpad from the TopDown library, but basically I'm finding that when
> creating a new thread, there often times is a 10-15 second delay. The line
> of code that is executing when the delay occurs is:
>
> oThread := Thread():new()    create new thread object
>

> Does anyone have a reason why this might occur? It seems to run quickly on
> my laptop when running in a stand-alone mode, but I see the long delays
> when
> running across the network when multiple users are logged in.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Scott
Hi Scott,

I use a variation on tdLaunchPad with the variation being that I have an
oThread:AtStart defined to set oSession:SetDefault(.T.) as well as a few
other options.  My application runs on the user workstation with data
files in a shared network folder.  I currently use 2.0 but previously
with whatever was the latest 1.9 after 2012.  My threads start with zero
noticeable delay.  Jim's idea of AV suggests disabling AV on the
workstation... worth a shot for enlightenment.

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Anand GuptaRe: Long Delay When Creating New Threads
on Fri, 24 May 2019 11:36:01 +0200
I use TopDown to its fullest. tdLaunchPad() and direct Thread().

There are many modules in my code which uses more than two threads and I have
not noticed any sort of delay due to thread.

Check database opening, which takes most time.

Regards,

Anand