Alaska Software Inc. - open an outside dbf
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: open an outside dbf
Allen Lee open an outside dbf
on Mon, 11 Jul 2011 13:32:46 -0700
Hi Everyone:

If WAA and the DLLs reside on one server...
And a DBF resides on a second server's document root.

The dbf cannot be opened by:
use ('http://www.second.com/mydbf') new shared

Is there a way to open the DBF on the second server?
Thomas Braun
Re: open an outside dbf
on Tue, 12 Jul 2011 08:56:18 +0200
Allen Lee wrote:

> Hi Everyone:
>
> If WAA and the DLLs reside on one server...
> And a DBF resides on a second server's document root.
>
> The dbf cannot be opened by:
> use ('http://www.second.com/mydbf') new shared
>
> Is there a way to open the DBF on the second server?

Not via the HTTP:// protocol - afaik, Alaskas DBEs are not designed to be
used with internet protocols.

If the server shares the file(s) via SMB then you can use either

\\sever\share\filename.dbf

or map the share to a drive and use

x:\filename.dbf

For obvious (e.g. security) reasons, this only works if the two servers are
in the same network - either by being located in the same place or
connected via a VPN.

Thomas
Allen Lee Re: open an outside dbf
on Tue, 12 Jul 2011 00:14:27 -0700
On 7/11/2011 11:56 PM, Thomas Braun wrote:
> Allen Lee wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone:
>>
>> If WAA and the DLLs reside on one server...
>> And a DBF resides on a second server's document root.
>>
>> The dbf cannot be opened by:
>> use ('http://www.second.com/mydbf') new shared
>>
>> Is there a way to open the DBF on the second server?
>
> Not via the HTTP:// protocol - afaik, Alaskas DBEs are not designed to be
> used with internet protocols.
>
> If the server shares the file(s) via SMB then you can use either
>
> \\sever\share\filename.dbf
>
> or map the share to a drive and use
>
> x:\filename.dbf
>
> For obvious (e.g. security) reasons, this only works if the two servers are
> in the same network - either by being located in the same place or
> connected via a VPN.
>
> Thomas
Thanks, Thomas
I knew that I could rely on you for an answer.

In this case, the two servers are not on the same network and they are
not connected via a VPN

The second server is hosted by a generic ISP who is not prepared to
install Alaska's WAA.

We'll have to find a web host who will allow WAA.
Suggestions, anyone?
Pablo BotellaRe: open an outside dbf
on Tue, 12 Jul 2011 09:25:01 +0200
Hi,

> We'll have to find a web host who will allow WAA.
> Suggestions, anyone?

Currently there are lot of ISPs offerings VPSs with windows installed that are not so expensive
I've one hosted at godaddy
http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/virtual-dedicated-servers.aspx?ci=9013

But you can search for VPS in the google as every time more and more ISPs offering this service

Regards,

Pablo Botella
Thomas Braun
Re: open an outside dbf
on Tue, 12 Jul 2011 17:18:37 +0200
Pablo Botella wrote:

> Currently there are lot of ISPs offerings VPSs with windows installed that are not so expensive

Exactly.

I have a dedicated Windows 2008/64bit machine hosted at strato.de because
I'm hosting other things as well but a virtual machine will do if the
server is not under very heavy load.

Thomas