Alaska Software Inc. - app.exe hanging
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: app.exe hanging
Frans Vermeulenapp.exe hanging
on Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:35:36 +0100
As far as I can see, there is no report of this problem yet.
It took me a while to get the situation where it happens:

I have a project of an exe and dll(s)
- I am working on the prg's of the exe,
- I build the exe
- I do File->Close All
- I open the project of one of the dll's File->Recent Projects
- I change something and build the Dll
- I do again a close all
- I open the project of the exe File->Recent Projects
- I build the project
- Run

In the taskmonitor, I see the CPU-Time of VisualXbase.exe go to 100%
which is normal
Then I see my app going to use CPU and memory in the taskmanager,
which is also normal
and after a few seconds, when my appwindow should appear,
I see the CPU-usage of the app drop to 0%
The memory usage will stick to 10.7 Mb (Xbase++ runtime ?)

I can open and push the menu of vx but no response
Ending both my app and vx by means of the taskmanager
has become inevitable.

Regards,
Frans Vermeulen
Klemens LichterRe: app.exe hanging
on Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:14:59 +0100
Frans, are you shure you start the .EXE and not the .DLL? Unfortunately VX
activates the first target in alphabetical order after opening a project, if
this is a .DLL (and if exe-file and dll-file have the same name than the dll
is allways the first) than you see the CPU doing something and than nothing
else happens. I think is should automatically activate the first .EXE inside
the project or that .EXE that was last activated before closing the project.
But I dont know if that is your problem. Doing all my smaller projects with
VX during this year I never found such situation except if the active target
was a dll.
Klemens

"Frans Vermeulen" <FransV@VisSpec.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> As far as I can see, there is no report of this problem yet.
> It took me a while to get the situation where it happens:
>
> I have a project of an exe and dll(s)
> - I am working on the prg's of the exe,
> - I build the exe
> - I do File->Close All
> - I open the project of one of the dll's File->Recent Projects
> - I change something and build the Dll
> - I do again a close all
> - I open the project of the exe File->Recent Projects
> - I build the project
> - Run
>
> In the taskmonitor, I see the CPU-Time of VisualXbase.exe go to 100%
> which is normal
> Then I see my app going to use CPU and memory in the taskmanager,
> which is also normal
> and after a few seconds, when my appwindow should appear,
> I see the CPU-usage of the app drop to 0%
> The memory usage will stick to 10.7 Mb (Xbase++ runtime ?)
>
> I can open and push the menu of vx but no response
> Ending both my app and vx by means of the taskmanager
> has become inevitable.
>
> Regards,
> Frans Vermeulen

Frans VermeulenRe: app.exe hanging
on Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:44:58 +0100
Hi Klemens,

> Frans, are you shure you start the .EXE and not the .DLL? Unfortunately VX
> activates the first target in alphabetical order after opening a project,
> if
> this is a .DLL (and if exe-file and dll-file have the same name than the
> dll
> is allways the first) than you see the CPU doing something and than
> nothing
> else happens. I think is should automatically activate the first .EXE
> inside
> the project or that .EXE that was last activated before closing the
> project.
> But I don´t know if that is your problem. Doing all my smaller projects
> with
> VX during this year I never found such situation except if the active
> target
> was a dll.

Interesting, there might something be in it, but...
The first target is an exe, which runs in other situations well.
When vx is closed between building the dll and starting the exe,
there is no problem.

The dll and the exe are build using different project files.
When I try to run a dll, I get an error saying an exception occurred at line
0
which sounds logic.

Regards,
Frans Vermeulen

PS I use a directory structure like:
\Program\dllprgs
              \exeprgs+exe+latest version dlls
              \include
              \dlls
              \objectfiles
So I copy the dlls from the dlls directory into the exeprgs directory before
starting the exe