Alaska Software Inc. - NTX files Exploding In Size After Server Upgrade
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: NTX files Exploding In Size After Server Upgrade
Scott KriseNTX files Exploding In Size After Server Upgrade
on Thu, 25 Apr 2019 13:59:17 -0400
Hello Everyone,

We recently upgraded to a 2019 Windows Server. Since then, I've had two
cases where I've found index files that were over 2 gig in size, when
usually they are 2 or 3k in size. At some point, the system crashes and Im
forced to do a reindex...then the file goes back to a normal size and can be
used again.

I've also had one case...while running a pack and reindex step, where the
process got stuck while reindexing a file with only 1 or 2 records in it.
After the reindexing finished, the table reported to contain over 2 million
records...and when I looked at them, it was the same record repeated over
and over again...but each subsequent record was offset by a few characters.
It looked like some sort of header corruption or something.

Anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Thanks,

Scott
Jonathan LeemingRe: NTX files Exploding In Size After Server Upgrade
on Thu, 25 Apr 2019 15:48:13 -0600
On 4/25/2019 11:59 AM, Scott Krise wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> We recently upgraded to a 2019 Windows Server. Since then, I've had two
> cases where I've found index files that were over 2 gig in size, when
> usually they are 2 or 3k in size. At some point, the system crashes and
> Im forced to do a reindex...then the file goes back to a normal size and
> can be used again.
>
> I've also had one case...while running a pack and reindex step, where
> the process got stuck while reindexing a file with only 1 or 2 records
> in it. After the reindexing finished, the table reported to contain over
> 2 million records...and when I looked at them, it was the same record
> repeated over and over again...but each subsequent record was offset by
> a few characters. It looked like some sort of header corruption or
> something.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

Hi Scott,

I know you were looking into ADS a while back so this begs the question
what Database Engine are you using?  Also when you say "reindex" are you
actually using the REINDEX / DBREINDEX() / ORDLISTREBUILD() or are
creating a completely fresh index file with INDEX / DECREATINDEX() /
ORDCREATE()?  Using the latter option would ensure your index header is
completely rebuilt.

Regards... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Scott KriseRe: NTX files Exploding In Size After Server Upgrade
on Mon, 29 Apr 2019 15:11:34 -0400
Sorry Jonathan, Im having trouble replying to the newsgroup from my other
PC.

Anyway, I am doing an actual delete of the index and rebuilding it each
time, and I am using DBF/NTX at this location.

I also contacted Alaska support, and I did get a response since I posted
this message suggesting this might be an issue where I need to run the
smb2-infocache.msi on client workstations. Im still trying to get better
confirmation of the particulars, but this was a reported problem when
running on newer servers.

I just installed in on all our workstations, so we will see if there are any
further issues.

Thanks,

Scott