Alaska Software Inc. - Slow debugger F8 Windows 10
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Slow debugger F8 Windows 10
Vladimir Iahnenco Slow debugger F8 Windows 10
on Wed, 04 Apr 2018 01:37:57 +0000
Hi All,
I'm on 1.90.331 and F8 in the debugger on Win 10 is very slow. F10 looks
good, no detays.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Vladimir
Thomas BraunRe: Slow debugger F8 Windows 10
on Wed, 04 Apr 2018 09:06:31 +0200
Vladimir Iahnenco wrote:

> Hi All,
> I'm on 1.90.331 and F8 in the debugger on Win 10 is very slow. F10 looks
> good, no detays.
> Any suggestions?

The only suggestion I can give is to update to 2.x - 1.9 ist very old and
was never tested with newer Windows versions... and it is not supported by
Alaska anymore.

Thomas
Anand GuptaRe: Slow debugger F8 Windows 10
on Wed, 04 Apr 2018 10:50:08 +0200
Thomas Braun wrote in message news:3b832vtt4liq.1u2ctajatd73w$.dlg@40tude.net...
>Vladimir Iahnenco wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> I'm on 1.90.331 and F8 in the debugger on Win 10 is very slow. F10 looks
>> good, no detays.
>> Any suggestions?
>
>The only suggestion I can give is to update to 2.x - 1.9 ist very old and
>was never tested with newer Windows versions... and it is not supported by
>Alaska anymore.
>
>Thomas

Or adapt yourself by using breakpoint in debugger or 'altd()' in code or
'strfile()' in code to output to text file.
I use them to speedup my debugging process.

Regards,

Anand
Thomas BraunRe: Slow debugger F8 Windows 10
on Wed, 04 Apr 2018 17:08:49 +0200
Anand Gupta wrote:

> Or adapt yourself by using breakpoint in debugger or 'altd()' in code or
> 'strfile()' in code to output to text file.
> I use them to speedup my debugging process.

Honestly, if you are not only developing for hobby reasons but deploy
applications to customers using Win10, there is no way around an update to
2.x

Thomas
Jim LeeRe: Slow debugger F8 Windows 10
on Thu, 05 Apr 2018 01:06:28 +0200
> The only suggestion I can give is to update to 2.x - 1.9 ist very old
> and
> was never tested with newer Windows versions

can you tell me only one thing of v1.9x that does not work unter Windows 10
?
AFAIK only (old) deprecated API Function since VISTA make Problem while they
have worked until Windows 10.
Thomas BraunRe: Slow debugger F8 Windows 10
on Thu, 05 Apr 2018 09:15:13 +0200
Jim Lee wrote:

>> The only suggestion I can give is to update to 2.x - 1.9 ist very old
>> and
>> was never tested with newer Windows versions
>
> can you tell me only one thing of v1.9x that does not work unter Windows 10
> ?

While there are various problems even in 2.x builds related to Windows 10,
that is not my point.

When developing professional software for a specific OS platform, IMHO you
should use a development tool that has been desinged for and tested on that
specific platform and is still supported by the manufacturer.

You will run into trouble sooner or later and this could even result in
losing customers.

Thomas
Jim LeeRe: Slow debugger F8 Windows 10
on Thu, 05 Apr 2018 19:41:08 +0200
Alaska say same about v1.9.331 and Windows 7 ... yes visual Style is missing
but it work.
now with Windows 10 Style have change again so it is not much Difference
with/without visual Style

there is a Patch v1.9.331 -> 1.9.355 SL1. ask Alaska for xpp19sl1.exe (16.8
Mb)

---

i know a lot of People who have v2.x but still release there Stuff with
(stable) v1.9.355
also a lot of Customer want to use Windows 7 not 10 while they do not like
"Doomsdays" every Month.

all XbParts are based on native Windows Control which also used by DotNet
(look into *.H Files)
i do write my own native Controls e.g. Listview which work on XP  7  8 /
10

---

we still talk about those 27 Windows NT Controls
https://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/library/windows/desktop/bb773165(v=vs.85).aspx
as you can see Xbase++ still miss some Controls and v2.x does not include
more (real) Controls than v1.9x

on iOS you can not use 32bit any more ... it is just a Question of Time and
Windows will drop 32bit (Polaris).
so what about Xbase++ 64bit Compiler and LIBs ? that would be a Reason to
Upgrade.

---

but back to Problem : Slow debugger F8 Windows 10

as Jan say have a look into your *.XPJ and clean it.

@Vladimir : did you use XppDbg.EXE or VX20.EXE (which Version)

i use VX 2.0.338 with v1.9.355 als Debugger this Way

VX20.exe MyProg.EXE

when leave Debugger it will create MyProg.XPJ ( not Project.XPJ ) which will
be used when debug
Jan EscholtRe: Slow debugger F8 Windows 10
on Wed, 04 Apr 2018 20:53:54 +0200
If there are many, many breakpoints in the project VX slows down extremely.

Jan

Am 04.04.2018 um 03:37 schrieb Vladimir Iahnenco:
> Hi All,
> I'm on 1.90.331 and F8 in the debugger on Win 10 is very slow. F10 looks
> good, no detays.
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks, Vladimir

Jonathan LeemingRe: Slow debugger F8 Windows 10
on Wed, 04 Apr 2018 13:53:49 -0600
On 4/3/2018 7:37 PM, Vladimir Iahnenco wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm on 1.90.331 and F8 in the debugger on Win 10 is very slow. F10 looks
> good, no detays.
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks, Vladimir

Hi Vladimir,

In my experience (albeit limited!) I have found that ones AntiVirus has
a significant impact on the performance of the debugger.  Might I
suggest that you temporarily disable your AntiVirus to see if the
performance improves.  If it does you might consider configuring
exclusions in you AV setup.

Regards... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Jorge L. BorlandoRe: Slow debugger F8 Windows 10
on Thu, 05 Apr 2018 12:25:09 -0300
Hi Vladimir,
if you need work with debug 1.9 in windows 10, you haven't windows
aniversary or creators

the debugger of xbase 1.9 work well in win