Alaska Software Inc. - Arrow Symbol
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Arrow Symbol
Jonathan LeemingArrow Symbol
on Wed, 29 Aug 2018 14:41:12 -0600
Hi,

I'm hoping to include an arrow symbol in a character string.  Something
like:

"Regular ->  Banked / OT"

But I would like a "nicer" arrow.  I was looking at unicode options and
there is a ➔ unicode U+2794.  I was thinking that I might be able to
accomplish this with UNICODE2STR() with the correct however I'm not sure
how to format the unicode string.  So far I getting some really nice ??
or ???.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Matej JuracRe: Arrow Symbol
on Thu, 30 Aug 2018 07:57:25 +0200
If for pushbutton - render text as graphic and display graphic on top of push
button;

xBase is still not Unicode compilant so the ?? are probably resoult of that.
Which is shame, as many problems are starting to emerge out of lack of support
for that. (mind not on western alphabets, but CE, EE alphabets when used in
same UTF/Unicode databases)

Jonathan Leeming wrote in message
>Hi,
>
>I'm hoping to include an arrow symbol in a character string.  Something
>like:
>
>"Regular ->  Banked / OT"
>
>But I would like a "nicer" arrow.  I was looking at unicode options and
>there is a ➔ unicode U+2794.  I was thinking that I might be able to
>accomplish this with UNICODE2STR() with the correct however I'm not sure
>how to format the unicode string.  So far I getting some really nice ??
>or ???.
>
>Any guidance would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks... Jonathan
Jonathan LeemingRe: Arrow Symbol
on Thu, 30 Aug 2018 10:46:13 -0600
On 8/29/2018 11:57 PM, Matej Jurac wrote:
> If for pushbutton - render text as graphic and display graphic on top of push
> button;
>

> xBase is still not Unicode compilant so the ?? are probably resoult of that.
> Which is shame, as many problems are starting to emerge out of lack of support
> for that. (mind not on western alphabets, but CE, EE alphabets when used in
> same UTF/Unicode databases)
>

> Jonathan Leeming wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm hoping to include an arrow symbol in a character string.  Something
>> like:
>>
>> "Regular ->  Banked / OT"
>>
>> But I would like a "nicer" arrow.  I was looking at unicode options and
>> there is a ➔ unicode U+2794.  I was thinking that I might be able to
>> accomplish this with UNICODE2STR() with the correct however I'm not sure
>> how to format the unicode string.  So far I getting some really nice ??
>> or ???.
>>
>> Any guidance would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks... Jonathan

Thanks Matej,

Using a graphic was my "plan B" but I have never used unicodes before
and thought it would also be handy in other areas where the text content
might be dynamic.  For example mixing in symbols with some sort of data
such as someones name.

I'm still curious about the utility of UNICODE2STR() and also how one
formats the actual unicode to convert it to a string.

In this instance I will likely do as you suggested and resort to graphics.

Thanks for your suggestion... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Wolfgang CiriackRe: Arrow Symbol
on Thu, 30 Aug 2018 19:33:16 +0200
Am 30.08.2018 um 18:46 schrieb Jonathan Leeming:
> On 8/29/2018 11:57 PM, Matej Jurac wrote:
>> If for pushbutton - render text as graphic and display graphic on top
>> of push
>> button;
>>

>> xBase is still not Unicode compilant so the ?? are probably resoult of
>> that.
>> Which is shame, as many problems are starting to emerge out of lack of
>> support
>> for that. (mind not on western alphabets, but CE, EE alphabets when
>> used in
>> same UTF/Unicode databases)
>>

>> Jonathan Leeming wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm hoping to include an arrow symbol in a character string.  Something
>>> like:
>>>
>>> "Regular ->  Banked / OT"
>>>
>>> But I would like a "nicer" arrow.  I was looking at unicode options and
>>> there is a ➔ unicode U+2794.  I was thinking that I might be able to
>>> accomplish this with UNICODE2STR() with the correct however I'm not sure
>>> how to format the unicode string.  So far I getting some really nice ??
>>> or ???.
>>>
>>> Any guidance would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks... Jonathan
>
> Thanks Matej,
>
> Using a graphic was my "plan B" but I have never used unicodes before
> and thought it would also be handy in other areas where the text content
> might be dynamic.  For example mixing in symbols with some sort of data
> such as someones name.
>
> I'm still curious about the utility of UNICODE2STR() and also how one
> formats the actual unicode to convert it to a string.
>
> In this instance I will likely do as you suggested and resort to graphics.
>
> Thanks for your suggestion... Jonathan

There is an arrow symbol in font Windings chr(232), perhaps you can use
this ?
Jonathan LeemingRe: Arrow Symbol
on Thu, 30 Aug 2018 12:50:40 -0600
On 8/30/2018 11:33 AM, Wolfgang Ciriack wrote:
> Am 30.08.2018 um 18:46 schrieb Jonathan Leeming:
>> On 8/29/2018 11:57 PM, Matej Jurac wrote:
>>> If for pushbutton - render text as graphic and display graphic on top
>>> of push
>>> button;
>>>

>>> xBase is still not Unicode compilant so the ?? are probably resoult
>>> of that.
>>> Which is shame, as many problems are starting to emerge out of lack
>>> of support
>>> for that. (mind not on western alphabets, but CE, EE alphabets when
>>> used in
>>> same UTF/Unicode databases)
>>>

>>> Jonathan Leeming wrote in message

>> Thanks Matej,
>>
>> Using a graphic was my "plan B" but I have never used unicodes before
>> and thought it would also be handy in other areas where the text
>> content might be dynamic.  For example mixing in symbols with some
>> sort of data such as someones name.
>>
>> I'm still curious about the utility of UNICODE2STR() and also how one
>> formats the actual unicode to convert it to a string.
>>
>> In this instance I will likely do as you suggested and resort to
>> graphics.
>>
>> Thanks for your suggestion... Jonathan
>>
> There is an arrow symbol in font Windings chr(232), perhaps you can use
> this ?

Thanks Wolfgang,

But I don't know how I would apply mixed fonts to a push button object
as I also need to have words.

Regards... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Re: Arrow Symbol
on Thu, 30 Aug 2018 15:12:15 -0400
Jonathan,

>But I would like a "nicer" arrow. I was looking at unicode options and
>there is a ➔ unicode U+2794.

As Matej already mentioned, Xbase++ is unable to natively display Unicode
(UTF-8 or UTF-16) characters with basic XbaseParts and Gra* functions, as
it uses internally the ANSI API functions. Also, not many fonts actually
contain that particular Unicode character.

Depending on your use case, you have some other options, though.

For Gra* functions (and XbaseParts with Owner Drawn option), where you can
switch fonts within a string, I would suggest you stay with an ANSI font and
use something like this:

Font: "Wingdings"   ==> Character: chr(232)
Font: "Wingdings 3" ==> Character: chr(226)

Both of those fonts should be available to you on most computers. If not,
you can always look through the fonts that you do have, and find the
character that best matches your requirements.

For UTF-8 capable Active-X components and the new (but not well documented)
XbpHTMLWindow()-derived objects, you can indeed use Unicode, though.

And with XbpHTMLStyle() you can draw any HTML/CSS content on a Presentation
Space. Just specify a Unicode Font that contains this character, like:

[...]
	font-family: "Arial Unicode MS";
[...]

Then your (HTML-encoded) example string to display the arrow would be:

	"Regular ➔ Banked / OT"

Hope that helps,

Andreas

Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Absolute Software, LLC

phone: (989) 723-9927
email: Andreas@AbsoluteSoftwareLLC.com
web:   http://www.AbsoluteSoftwareLLC.com
[F]:   https://www.facebook.com/AbsoluteSoftwareLLC
Jonathan LeemingRe: Arrow Symbol
on Sat, 01 Sep 2018 16:00:04 -0600
On 8/30/2018 1:12 PM, Andreas Gehrs-Pahl wrote:
> Jonathan,
>
>> But I would like a "nicer" arrow. I was looking at unicode options and
>> there is a ➔ unicode U+2794.
>
> As Matej already mentioned, Xbase++ is unable to natively display Unicode
> (UTF-8 or UTF-16) characters with basic XbaseParts and Gra* functions, as
> it uses internally the ANSI API functions. Also, not many fonts actually
> contain that particular Unicode character.
>
> Depending on your use case, you have some other options, though.
>
> For Gra* functions (and XbaseParts with Owner Drawn option), where you can
> switch fonts within a string, I would suggest you stay with an ANSI font and
> use something like this:
>
> Font: "Wingdings"   ==> Character: chr(232)
> Font: "Wingdings 3" ==> Character: chr(226)
>
> Both of those fonts should be available to you on most computers. If not,
> you can always look through the fonts that you do have, and find the
> character that best matches your requirements.
>
> For UTF-8 capable Active-X components and the new (but not well documented)
> XbpHTMLWindow()-derived objects, you can indeed use Unicode, though.
>
> And with XbpHTMLStyle() you can draw any HTML/CSS content on a Presentation
> Space. Just specify a Unicode Font that contains this character, like:
>
> [...]
> 	font-family: "Arial Unicode MS";
> [...]
>
> Then your (HTML-encoded) example string to display the arrow would be:
>
> 	"Regular ➔ Banked / OT"
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Andreas

Hi Andreas... and Thanks for the reminder!

Till did a session on this at SW-Xbase++ in 2015 with a follow-up in
2016.  I need to review his 2016 white paper & dig into the WebUI
samples in the 2.0 release.

For now I will use a graphic rendering so it will not depart too much
from the look/feel of the overall application.

Thanks yet again... always an education Jonathan