Alaska Software Inc. - Re: Var2JSON() / JSON2Var()
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Re: Var2JSON() / JSON2Var()
Jonathan LeemingVar2JSON() / JSON2Var()
on Fri, 04 May 2018 09:21:45 -0600
Hi,

At the 2016 Southwest Xbase++ conference Venelina Jordanova gave a
presentation which included JSON data formats.  Following up on this I
was looking through my Xbase++ 2.0 documentation (build 918) and the
only references to the Var2JSON() function are in the build 547 change
log and the "Xbase++ Developer Bookshelf".

I can't find any other information on it.  For "Fun" I included the
following lines of code in my application...

    IF .F.
       Var2JSON(aEDebug1)
       JSON2Var(aEDebug2)
    ENDIF

Recompiled without generating an error so I would assume that there is
also a JSON2Var() function but I can't find a single reference to it.

I realize the there are numerous deficiencies in the current
documentation but I was expecting at least an entry with "TBD".

Can anyone shed some light on these functions?

Thanks... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Peter AlderliestenRe: Var2JSON() / JSON2Var()
on Mon, 07 May 2018 13:34:48 +0200
Jonathan,

> I can't find any other information on it.  For "Fun" I included the
> following lines of code in my application...
>
>     IF .F.
>        Var2JSON(aEDebug1)
>        JSON2Var(aEDebug2)
>     ENDIF
>
> Recompiled without generating an error so I would assume that there is
> also a JSON2Var() function but I can't find a single reference to it.

Nu, but I ran a little test on these functions.
	function main()
	local oInput  := dataObject():new()
	local oOutput
	local cJson

	oInput:name := "John"
	oInput:age  := 44
	oInput:date := stod("20120304")

	cJson := var2Json(oInput)
	oOutput := Json2var(cJson)
	return nil

When you start out with a dataObject, var2Json turns out a Json string.
When you feed this string to Json2var, you would expect a dataObject back,
but the same string is returned. So Json2var seems to be present as a dummy
function.

Peter
Boris BorzicRe: Var2JSON() / JSON2Var()
on Mon, 07 May 2018 15:04:41 +0200
I don't think Xbase++ provides full support for JSON. However, Xb2.NET does
include full JSON support since v3.6. This includes converting between
Xbase++ and JSON arrays AND objects. Two functions and one class are
provided for this purpose:

xbJSON class for creating, parsing and modifying JSON objects:
https://xb2.net/xb2net/Xb2NET.htm#xbJSON

xbJSONParse function converts a JSON string to an Xbase++ array or xbJSON
object.

xb2JSON function converts an Xbase++ array to a JSON string.

Best regards,
Boris Borzic

http://xb2.net
http://sqlexpress.net
industrial strength Xbase++ development tools

Jonathan Leeming wrote in news:4d4be965$24fd4ef9$b62cd2@news.alaska-
software.com: