Alaska Software Inc. - Observations
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Observations
Georg Lorrig Observations
on Wed, 07 Jan 2004 07:35:31 +0100
Hello,

some observations that might need attention:

I have a project with two executables as targets, TS.EXE and XE.EXE, I
have set XE.EXE als active target.

Run -> Parameters: there is no host application (the entry field is
gray, and the button at the right hand side is not active). I can set
any parameter value here (great work), but none is passed, when I
run/debug the active executable.

Holding the parameter window open to long results in this error
message:

"project - Visual Xbase++ - [xe.exe/xmledit.prg]"

[XBPMB_CRITICAL, XBPMB_OK]

"An error occured: Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 00066629 in Modul
'VXIDE20.EXE'. Lesen von Adresse 03CBFFFE."

After writing down this error message (it appeared at least twice), I
got this one:

"Anwendungsfehler"

[XBP as above]

"Exception EAccessViolation in Modul VXIDE20.EXE bei 00056629.
Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 00066629 in Modul 'VXIDE20.EXE'. Lesen
von Adresse 03CBFFFE."

Final message (now VXB died): "Runtime error 216 at 0005910E." (Twice)

When I open a file that does not belong to the project (e.g. a text
file that was createt from the debugged program) and close that file,
it is not added to the "Recent Files" list.

Kind regards,

Georg S. Lorrig
Andreas Herdt Re: Observations
on Wed, 07 Jan 2004 12:52:31 +0100
Georg Lorrig wrote:

> Hello,
>
> some observations that might need attention:
>
> I have a project with two executables as targets, TS.EXE and XE.EXE, I
> have set XE.EXE als active target.
>
> Run -> Parameters: there is no host application (the entry field is
> gray, and the button at the right hand side is not active). I can set
> any parameter value here (great work), but none is passed, when I
> run/debug the active executable.

The entry field is not accessable since it does not make sense to
set have a host application for executables. This makes sense only
for targets that are library. When debugging the dll the host
application is executed by the debugger. The host application hopefully
uses the dll.

> Holding the parameter window open to long results in this error
> message:
>
> "project - Visual Xbase++ - [xe.exe/xmledit.prg]"
>
> [XBPMB_CRITICAL, XBPMB_OK]
>
> "An error occured: Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 00066629 in Modul
> 'VXIDE20.EXE'. Lesen von Adresse 03CBFFFE."
>
> After writing down this error message (it appeared at least twice), I
> got this one:
>
> "Anwendungsfehler"
>
> [XBP as above]
>
> "Exception EAccessViolation in Modul VXIDE20.EXE bei 00056629.
> Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 00066629 in Modul 'VXIDE20.EXE'. Lesen
> von Adresse 03CBFFFE."
>
> Final message (now VXB died): "Runtime error 216 at 0005910E." (Twice)

It seems so that you have a reproducable scenario to make VX crash
( We call it "rapid shut down feature" at our side

Could you please explain what I have to do to get the messages above.
I just have not understand your instractions

> When I open a file that does not belong to the project (e.g. a text
> file that was createt from the debugged program) and close that file,
> it is not added to the "Recent Files" list.

This is by design. We felt that it is not a good idea to take all files
into consideration that have been opened with vx. However, if you want
them to be in the recent files list, then just add them to your project,
(Hm, this works as long as they are no Xbase++ source files....)

What do you think? Is it a must to have them in the recent files list???

Regards
   Andreas Herdt
   [Alaska Research & Development]

> Kind regards,
>
> Georg S. Lorrig

Georg Lorrig Re: Observations
on Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:10:35 +0100
Andreas -

it seemed that you missed my first point (I did not point it out
clearly enough):

The value entered in the dialog box labeled "parameters" is NOT PASSED
when the program is started/debugged in the next step.

The fast program exit is not reproduceable right now (maybe I don't
need a fast exit now, and the program knows about it)...

It happened after a long cycle of editing/compiling/running/examining
the output. Maybe the garbage collector came out of sync, at the moment
I can't repeat the error.

Re. "Recent Files". When VXB is a development environment, it makes
sense to open/close/open/close/... files that are generated from the
program under construction (at least I have this cycle right now), so
adding those files might be an option.

Kind regards,

Georg
Andreas Herdt Re: Observations
on Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:07:48 +0100
Georg Lorrig wrote:

> Andreas -
>
> it seemed that you missed my first point (I did not point it out
> clearly enough):
>
> The value entered in the dialog box labeled "parameters" is NOT PASSED
> when the program is started/debugged in the next step.

Ups, I have fogotten to mention:
I know about this bug (run parameters and host process is not forwarded
to the project manager) and this one will be fixed for next release
(this week).

> The fast program exit is not reproduceable right now (maybe I don't
> need a fast exit now, and the program knows about it)...

Our KI is still under construction

> It happened after a long cycle of editing/compiling/running/examining
> the output. Maybe the garbage collector came out of sync, at the moment
> I can't repeat the error.

Hm, needless to say that under some circumstances we can observe
such behaviour at our side, too. Since this happened under rare
circumstances, we did not want to delay the PreRelease another time.
This is also due to the fact that such errors are hard to find....
We have planned to spend another 3 weeks (till end of January) for
bugfixing and for implementing customer wishes (as far as possible
of course). I am shure that up to this time, we have found some of
these defects.....

> Re. "Recent Files". When VXB is a development environment, it makes
> sense to open/close/open/close/... files that are generated from the
> program under construction (at least I have this cycle right now), so
> adding those files might be an option.

I take this as request:
We need checkmark somewhere that says:
   O Track all files in List of Recent files (we have to shorten this.)

Andreas Herdt