Alaska Software Inc. - Open Project Error
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Open Project Error
Jimi LeeOpen Project Error
on Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:19:01 +0800
I open a project without problem, and then select close all file, when I try
to open the project again, an error occurs:

An error occured: Win32-Fehler. Code: 5.
Access is denied.

But the project is still opened and I can still work on it. I have tried on
several different projects and this occurs on all of them.

Jimi
James Loughner Re: Open Project Error
on Wed, 17 Mar 2004 08:24:51 -0500
I tried that on a very large project and blue screened. (Win98)

Jim

Jimi Lee wrote:

> I open a project without problem, and then select close all file, when I try
> to open the project again, an error occurs:
>
> An error occured: Win32-Fehler. Code: 5.
> Access is denied.
>
> But the project is still opened and I can still work on it. I have tried on
> several different projects and this occurs on all of them.
>
> Jimi

Andreas Herdt Re: Open Project Error
on Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:04:30 +0100
Hi James,

Can you be somewhat more precise, please?

Do you open the project with file open dialog, last recent projects
from File menue or via vx20.exe?

Is your project located on local drive or on a network share?

Do you close all by shortcut or via menu item?

Does this occur allways or occasionally, only?

Andreas Herdt

Alaska Research & Development

James Loughner wrote:
> I tried that on a very large project and blue screened. (Win98)
>
> Jim
>
> Jimi Lee wrote:
>
>> I open a project without problem, and then select close all file, when
>> I try
>> to open the project again, an error occurs:
>>
>> An error occured: Win32-Fehler. Code: 5.
>> Access is denied.
>>
>> But the project is still opened and I can still work on it. I have
>> tried on
>> several different projects and this occurs on all of them.
>>
>> Jimi

Regards
   Andreas Herdt
   [Alaska Research & Development]
James Loughner Re: Open Project Error
on Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:19:26 -0500
Hi Andreas

I never use close all files. I did it only as a test from Jimi's report.

The project was the last one I had used a rather large project about
100K lines. I simply opened VX and when I thought the load was complete
I selected close all files. The screen went to a rather strange text
mode and then BSDed. It is possable that the loading was not complete.
It does take VX a little time to fully load up and this project happens
to have very bad .CH files. Lots of duplicate defines. (BTW its not my
code I'm in the process of cleaning it up)

Jim

Andreas Herdt wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> Can you be somewhat more precise, please?
>
> Do you open the project with file open dialog, last recent projects
> from File menue or via vx20.exe?
>
> Is your project located on local drive or on a network share?
>
> Do you close all by shortcut or via menu item?
>
> Does this occur allways or occasionally, only?
>
> Andreas Herdt
>
> Alaska Research & Development
>

> James Loughner wrote:
>
>> I tried that on a very large project and blue screened. (Win98)
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> Jimi Lee wrote:
>>
>>> I open a project without problem, and then select close all file,
>>> when I try
>>> to open the project again, an error occurs:
>>>
>>> An error occured: Win32-Fehler. Code: 5.
>>> Access is denied.
>>>
>>> But the project is still opened and I can still work on it. I have
>>> tried on
>>> several different projects and this occurs on all of them.
>>>
>>> Jimi

Jimi LeeRe: Open Project Error
on Fri, 19 Mar 2004 15:06:49 +0800
In my case, I have tried all available methods on screen to open those
projects, including the function menu, the icon, and the recents projects
function.

I also tried to open it locally and through network.

Under all situations, I can only open them without error on the first time.

Oh, the projects are SourceSafe protected, does it matter?

Jimi
Andreas Herdt Re: Open Project Error
on Fri, 19 Mar 2004 15:14:24 +0100
Hi Jimi,

I have never really worked with SourceSafe, thus I do not know what it
does. There must be something that opens the project file exclusive.

What I know for shure is that VX opens the project file read/write and
closes it immediately. I can not reproduce the behaviour you describe
and other people do not have this problem. This leads me to the
assumption there there is something special in your environment....

SourceSafe could be the problem, I am just no shure.