Alaska Software Inc. - Tabs or no tabs?
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Tabs or no tabs?
Simon Burford, Uluru SupportTabs or no tabs?
on Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:05:01 +0000
This is annoying

Suppose I am typing in the editor and press enter. This naturally moves all
lines of code below the cursor down one line and inserts a new line. Fair
enough - that's normal.
However, if I didn't actually want the new line, I am used to simply
pressing DELETE once at the beginning of the newly inserted line and all the
code moves back up one line again (IE: The whole blank line is deleted). The
VX editor requires me to sit at the beginning of the blank line pressing
delete about 17 times before the line gets deleted - even though there is
nothing on it. This is driving me nuts!

In the Editor settings, I have AutoIndent ticked because this is cool. I do
not, however, have "Use Tabs" ticked and the behaviour above seems
reminiscent of tabs being inserted. Is this a secret plan to drive me up the
wall

Simon Burford
Uluru Database Support
http://www.UluruDatabase.com

Download the latest version of Uluru Professional, Pro
Database Manager for xBase++ from http://www.UluruDatabase.com
Phil Ide
Re: Tabs or no tabs?
on Tue, 20 Jan 2004 21:23:08 +0000
Simon Burford, Uluru Support,
> This is annoying
>
> Suppose I am typing in the editor and press enter. This naturally moves all
> lines of code below the cursor down one line and inserts a new line. Fair
> enough - that's normal.
> However, if I didn't actually want the new line, I am used to simply
> pressing DELETE once at the beginning of the newly inserted line and all the
> code moves back up one line again (IE: The whole blank line is deleted). The
> VX editor requires me to sit at the beginning of the blank line pressing
> delete about 17 times before the line gets deleted - even though there is
> nothing on it. This is driving me nuts!
>
> In the Editor settings, I have AutoIndent ticked because this is cool. I do
> not, however, have "Use Tabs" ticked and the behaviour above seems
> reminiscent of tabs being inserted. Is this a secret plan to drive me up the
> wall

It sounds like spaces ae being inserted.  I would define this as normal
(aka expected) behaviour.

Regards,

Phil Ide

***************************************
* Xbase++ FAQ, Libraries and Sources: *
* goto: http://www.idep.org.uk/xbase  *
***************************************

Bones, I hate your #@!*% human guts. Discussion?
James Loughner Re: Tabs or no tabs?
on Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:14:45 -0500
I simply mark the line and delete. ie Shift-downArrow then Delete. This
makes sure I get ride of any misc. spaces

Jim

Simon Burford, Uluru Support wrote:
> This is annoying
>
> Suppose I am typing in the editor and press enter. This naturally moves all
> lines of code below the cursor down one line and inserts a new line. Fair
> enough - that's normal.
> However, if I didn't actually want the new line, I am used to simply
> pressing DELETE once at the beginning of the newly inserted line and all the
> code moves back up one line again (IE: The whole blank line is deleted). The
> VX editor requires me to sit at the beginning of the blank line pressing
> delete about 17 times before the line gets deleted - even though there is
> nothing on it. This is driving me nuts!
>
> In the Editor settings, I have AutoIndent ticked because this is cool. I do
> not, however, have "Use Tabs" ticked and the behaviour above seems
> reminiscent of tabs being inserted. Is this a secret plan to drive me up the
> wall

David BrayRe: Tabs or no tabs?
on Wed, 21 Jan 2004 08:41:00 +1000
I think it as expected but the Visual Studio IDE has these -- niceties

double click highlights word
tripple click highlights line
move cursor past beginning of line and the cursor reverses - single click
highlights line

in the meantime
 {home}{shift+down-arrow}{delete}

"Simon Burford, Uluru Support" <support@ulurudatabase.com> wrote in message
> This is annoying
>
> Suppose I am typing in the editor and press enter. This naturally moves
all
> lines of code below the cursor down one line and inserts a new line. Fair
> enough - that's normal.
> However, if I didn't actually want the new line, I am used to simply
> pressing DELETE once at the beginning of the newly inserted line and all
the
> code moves back up one line again (IE: The whole blank line is deleted).
The
> VX editor requires me to sit at the beginning of the blank line pressing
> delete about 17 times before the line gets deleted - even though there is
> nothing on it. This is driving me nuts!
>
> In the Editor settings, I have AutoIndent ticked because this is cool. I
do
> not, however, have "Use Tabs" ticked and the behaviour above seems
> reminiscent of tabs being inserted. Is this a secret plan to drive me up
the
> wall
>
> --
> Simon Burford
> Uluru Database Support
> http://www.UluruDatabase.com
>
> Download the latest version of Uluru Professional, Pro
> Database Manager for xBase++ from http://www.UluruDatabase.com

Simon Burford, Uluru SupportRe: Tabs or no tabs?
on Wed, 21 Jan 2004 00:50:23 +0000
Hmmm,

Ok, just have to get used to extra keystrokes I guess.
I suppose editors I've used in the past simply make the (sensible)
assumption that pressing delete when the entire line is blank should delete
the whole line. I can't think of a situation where I would want to delete
individual spaces from a line of spaces - I would only want to delete spaces
in front of existing text.

This is a feature I've always been used to, so for me this seems like asking
me to do extra work.

"David Bray" <alaska-news@brayworth.com.au> wrote in message
> I think it as expected but the Visual Studio IDE has these -- niceties
>
> double click highlights word
> tripple click highlights line
> move cursor past beginning of line and the cursor reverses - single click
> highlights line
>
> in the meantime
>  {home}{shift+down-arrow}{delete}
>
> "Simon Burford, Uluru Support" <support@ulurudatabase.com> wrote in
message
> > This is annoying :(
> >
> > Suppose I am typing in the editor and press enter. This naturally moves
> all
> > lines of code below the cursor down one line and inserts a new line.
Fair
> > enough - that's normal.
> > However, if I didn't actually want the new line, I am used to simply
> > pressing DELETE once at the beginning of the newly inserted line and all
> the
> > code moves back up one line again (IE: The whole blank line is deleted).
> The
> > VX editor requires me to sit at the beginning of the blank line pressing
> > delete about 17 times before the line gets deleted - even though there
is
> > nothing on it. This is driving me nuts!
> >
> > In the Editor settings, I have AutoIndent ticked because this is cool. I
> do
> > not, however, have "Use Tabs" ticked and the behaviour above seems
> > reminiscent of tabs being inserted. Is this a secret plan to drive me up
> the
> > wall :)
> >
> > --
> > Simon Burford
> > Uluru Database Support
> > http://www.UluruDatabase.com
> >
> > Download the latest version of Uluru Professional, Pro
> > Database Manager for xBase++ from http://www.UluruDatabase.com

James Loughner Re: Tabs or no tabs?
on Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:17:36 -0500
Every editor has its own gurkes and features. For editors there is no
way to make everyone happy. Its a religious thing.

I have become agnostic long ago.

Jim

Simon Burford, Uluru Support wrote:

> Hmmm,
>
> Ok, just have to get used to extra keystrokes I guess.
> I suppose editors I've used in the past simply make the (sensible)
> assumption that pressing delete when the entire line is blank should delete
> the whole line. I can't think of a situation where I would want to delete
> individual spaces from a line of spaces - I would only want to delete spaces
> in front of existing text.
>
> This is a feature I've always been used to, so for me this seems like asking
> me to do extra work.

James Loughner Re: Tabs or no tabs?
on Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:15:25 -0500
David Bray wrote:

> I think it as expected but the Visual Studio IDE has these -- niceties
>
> double click highlights word

   this works in VX

> tripple click highlights line

   this does not

> move cursor past beginning of line and the cursor reverses - single click
> highlights line

   nope

> in the meantime
>  {home}{shift+down-arrow}{delete}

  I perfer to use the keyboard as much as possable.

Jim
Simon Burford, Uluru SupportRe: Tabs or no tabs?
on Wed, 21 Jan 2004 23:18:18 +0000
I've turned off AutoIndent and now everything is fine, except for no
automatic indentation of course - but I never had that anyway!

Simon Burford
Uluru Database Support
http://www.UluruDatabase.com

Download the latest version of Uluru Professional, Pro
Database Manager for xBase++ from http://www.UluruDatabase.com
David BrayRe: Tabs or no tabs?
on Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:53:07 +1000
> > tripple click highlights line
>
>    this does not
doesn't happen in Visual Studio either, must have imagined that

imagine that ..

David Bray
david - at - brayworth - com - au
Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]Re: Tabs or no tabs?
on Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:31:06 +0100
Simon,

 after carefully reading through this thread we added
 the following to our whishlist:

 - If a line is empty - only whitespaces - an DEL key
   removes the whole line should be deleted. This behaviour
   should be configurable in edtor-settings.

 - Single-click on gutter marks entire line - remember
    double-click on gutter sets/resets breakpoint.

 HTH
 Steffen F. Pirsig,
Alaska Research & Development
Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
Fax:       +49/(0)6196/779999-23

"Simon Burford, Uluru Support" <support@ulurudatabase.com> wrote in message
> This is annoying
>
> Suppose I am typing in the editor and press enter. This naturally moves
all
> lines of code below the cursor down one line and inserts a new line. Fair
> enough - that's normal.
> However, if I didn't actually want the new line, I am used to simply
> pressing DELETE once at the beginning of the newly inserted line and all
the
> code moves back up one line again (IE: The whole blank line is deleted).
The
> VX editor requires me to sit at the beginning of the blank line pressing
> delete about 17 times before the line gets deleted - even though there is
> nothing on it. This is driving me nuts!
>
> In the Editor settings, I have AutoIndent ticked because this is cool. I
do
> not, however, have "Use Tabs" ticked and the behaviour above seems
> reminiscent of tabs being inserted. Is this a secret plan to drive me up
the
> wall
>
> --
> Simon Burford
> Uluru Database Support
> http://www.UluruDatabase.com
>
> Download the latest version of Uluru Professional, Pro
> Database Manager for xBase++ from http://www.UluruDatabase.com

Simon Burford, Uluru SupportRe: Tabs or no tabs?
on Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:53:10 +0000
>  - If a line is empty - only whitespaces - an DEL key
>    removes the whole line should be deleted. This behaviour
>    should be configurable in edtor-settings.
>
>  - Single-click on gutter marks entire line - remember
>     double-click on gutter sets/resets breakpoint.

Thanks muchly
That would make me very happy. At the moment I have it working as I'm used
to by turning off AutoIndent, but if you do this then I'll be able to use
AutoIndent too which would be even better!!!

Simon Burford
Uluru Database Support
http://www.UluruDatabase.com

Download the latest version of Uluru Professional, Pro
Database Manager for xBase++ from http://www.UluruDatabase.com
Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]Re: Tabs or no tabs?
on Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:18:30 +0100
Simon,

> Thanks muchly
> That would make me very happy. At the moment I have it working as I'm used
> to by turning off AutoIndent, but if you do this then I'll be able to use
> AutoIndent too which would be even better!!!

No Problemo - however please do not start pointing on us if the
next VX PreRelease version does not contain all the features
we added to the whishlist - it is already filled with more than
200 issues. And I am pretty sure that all of them can not resolved
in the timeframe left.

Again thank you for your help to make Visual Xbase++ a
impressive productivity tool.

Regards,
Steffen F. Pirsig,

Alaska Research & Development
Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
Fax:       +49/(0)6196/779999-23
Simon Burford, Uluru SupportRe: Tabs or no tabs?
on Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:39:46 +0000
Oh, believe me I apreciate the amount of work involved in something like
this. I'd have to be pretty petty to complain about something as trivial as
this if it isn't included in the next release

Would be nice though...