Alaska Software Inc. - Productivity toll ?
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Productivity toll ?
Christian Laborde Productivity toll ?
on Mon, 26 Jan 2004 10:29:20 +0100
Hi
I want to open project. Window open "My document" folder. I want to open
.prg, window open project folder. I want to open another project, window
open source folder.
I want to find an identifier (variable or function).
With Ultraedit, I select argument and click on icon. With VX, I select
argument, hit ctrl-F, hit enter, hit F3.
And many other.
!rofl
Regards.

  Christian Laborde
GTS Gestion-Technologie-Services

Route de la Corniche, 1
CH 1096 Cully
Suisse
Steffen F. Pirsig [Alaska Research]Re: Productivity toll ?
on Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:05:26 +0100
Christian,

> I want to open project. Window open "My document" folder
Added your requirement to the whishlist - meaning we will verify
if we can use the FileDialog supporting History,Favorites and
Your Documents.

>  I want to open .prg, window open project folder. I want to
> open another project, window open source folder.
It seems that the VX installation process has mixed up some
initial settings. We will fix this with the next release. Sorry for
any inconvenience this has impossed on your side.

> I want to find an identifier (variable or function).
This feature works in VX as following: Hit the Ctrl-Key
and hover with the mouse over symbols and indentifiers.
If a "Hand" is shown and the symbol is marked a simple
Click on the left-mouse-button navigates to the declaration.
However this feature does work in the current release only
on a file base - its project-wide capability is broken.

Also using Ctrl-Shift Up/Down toggles between
method implementatoin and method declaration.

And if you write a XMLDOC comment such as
///<summary>your description...</summary>
///<returns>aData</returns>
IntelliHelp will show you a more qualified information
about the profile of your user defined functions/
methods...

> With VX, I select argument, hit ctrl-F, hit enter,
> hit F3.
VX loads the word under the cursor by default in
the search-dialog when htting Ctrl-F - so there is
no need for you to mark the word/argument explicit.

> !rofl
Please do us a favour, we treat your findings as serious
so please treat our work as serious. Or would you like
to read as an answer to your posting something like
"Rofl"?

Hope this helps,
Steffen F. Pirsig

Alaska Research & Development
Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
E-Mail:    mailto:Steffen.Pirsig@alaska-research.com
Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
Fax:       +49/(0)6196/779999-23

"Christian Laborde" <infolab@bluewin.ch> wrote in message
> Hi
> I want to open project. Window open "My document" folder. I want to open
> .prg, window open project folder. I want to open another project, window
> open source folder.
> I want to find an identifier (variable or function).
> With Ultraedit, I select argument and click on icon. With VX, I select
> argument, hit ctrl-F, hit enter, hit F3.
> And many other.
> !rofl
> Regards.
> --
>   Christian Laborde
> GTS Gestion-Technologie-Services
>
> Route de la Corniche, 1
> CH 1096 Cully
> Suisse

Christian Laborde Re: Productivity toll ?
on Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:54:35 +0100
I want to say .not. rofl.
Editor is a tool for me, so it must be a solution, not a problem.
Have you look at other editor before writing VX.
Regards.

  Christian Laborde
GTS Gestion-Technologie-Services

Route de la Corniche, 1
CH 1096 Cully
Suisse
Klemens LichterRe: Productivity toll ?
on Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:56:25 +0100
Hi Christian,
"Christian Laborde" <infolab@bluewin.ch> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I want to say .not. rofl.
> Editor is a tool for me, so it must be a solution, not a problem.
> Have you look at other editor before writing VX.

For shure editor is a tool that has to be a solution and not a problem. But
please keep in mind: How long does Ultraedit or other famous editors be on
market? Lots of years. I dont  think these editors had all of their
capabilities they now have from the very beginning on. No, they were growing
from update to update over many years, integrating the wishes of the people
working with them.
So please give ARD a chance of the same time the editors had, you compare VX
with. After this time we can open this discussion again and compare the
editors. All of us beeing here in the NG are aware that there are lots of
problems in the current VX and ARD also is aware of them. And: This is a
Prerelease! So please be patient and enjoy the lots of  justnow very good
running features and help ARD to fix bugs and implement wishes coming from
practical work. But this help cant be flaming ARD but only in discussion of
necessary wishes and ideas ho to implement them best way.
And there is another feature no other language independent editor has: It is
very well integrated in the VX-debugger. Im working with dBase, Clipper and
xBase++ from the  begining on the software exists and all this time was used
to do mywork with an excellent DOS based editor, and compile and link and
debug by hand using DOS commands. But VX was able to change my mind in this
point so I started some new projects from the scratch in VX and am happy
with. VX and specially the editor is at this current moment good enough to
do my work. OK it can be better in future, but I can do my work. And this is
the point.

Just my 2 cent...

Klemens
Christian Laborde Re: Productivity toll ?
on Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:42:13 +0100
But why invent again hot water, it's still done.
Regards.

  Christian Laborde
GTS Gestion-Technologie-Services

Route de la Corniche, 1
CH 1096 Cully
Suisse
Phil Ide
Re: Productivity toll ?
on Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:47:47 +0000
Christian,

> But why invent again hot water, it's still done.
> Regards.

So that you can have two-way editing of code and forms, and can edit code
while debugging, and so your project files get automatically updated, and
so you can do all this in a multi-developer environment with the absolute
minimum of effort.

Well, you did ask

Regards,

Phil Ide

* Xbase++ FAQ, Libraries and Sources: *
* goto: http://www.idep.org.uk/xbase  *

What's a little Pancreatic Shock...?
Klemens LichterRe: Productivity toll ?
on Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:05:49 +0100
Phil, you have spoken out all I had to say. Thank you
Klemens