Alaska Software Inc. - Hourglass pointer
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Hourglass pointer
Eric BreddamHourglass pointer
on Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:26:01 -0800
So far I like VX... here are two probably minor issues...

I was running a program, paused it (with the mouse, on the menu, Run/Pause -
is there a keyboard shortcut for that?), and clicked on an object in the
object inspector.  At which point a dialog appeared with:

"An error occured: Ungultige Variant-Operation."

Which I can almost figure out but I don't speak/read German so... having the
error in English would be nice .

Or maybe having the whole thing in one language...

The other problem was that after I 'ok'd' the error the mouse mostly
showed as an hourglass... I was able to click and move and resume execute
and everything else but over most parts of the IDE the mouse showed as an
hourglass rather than a pointer.  Notable exceptions were the sliding areas
at the bottom/right of windows.  The process i was debugging continued to
run fine.
James Loughner Re: Hourglass pointer
on Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:59:24 -0500
Eric Breddam wrote:

> So far I like VX... here are two probably minor issues...
>
> I was running a program, paused it (with the mouse, on the menu, Run/Pause -
> is there a keyboard shortcut for that?),

You can assign one in th e TOOLS->CUSTOM menu.

Jim
Till WarwegRe: Hourglass pointer
on Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:16:27 +0100
"Eric Breddam" <somdata@somdata.com> wrote in message
> I was running a program, paused it (with the mouse, on the menu,
Run/Pause -
> is there a keyboard shortcut for that?), and clicked on an object in the
> object inspector.  At which point a dialog appeared with:
>
> "An error occured: Ungultige Variant-Operation."

Eric,

you don't have a reproducable scenario for this, have you?
I've just tried to reproduce this but haven't succeeded...

> Which I can almost figure out but I don't speak/read German so... having
the
> error in English would be nice .

Right ;-(.

> Or maybe having the whole thing in one language...

Such as all in German, for instance? Having the whole thing
in English was our intention, actually .

> The other problem was that after I 'ok'd' the error the mouse
> mostly showed as an hourglass... I was able to click and
> move and resume execute and everything else but over most
> parts of the IDE the mouse showed as an hourglass rather than
> a pointer.  Notable exceptions were the sliding areas
> at the bottom/right of windows.  The process i was debugging
> continued to run fine.

Hm, not nice. Again, I'd be most grateful if someone could
give me instructions on how to reproduce this?

Regards,
  Till

--
ARD - Alaska Research & Development

Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
E-Mail:    mailto:till.warweg@alaska-research.com
Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
Eric BreddamRe: Hourglass pointer
on Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:34:30 -0800

> you don't have a reproducable scenario for this, have you?
> I've just tried to reproduce this but haven't succeeded...

I can ship you exe and data and such... it's rather large by my standards.
or give you an ftp address to pick up a copy of... I can tell you that it
was a HelpObject that I had selected... and it quite possibly is incorrectly
initialized or at least incorrectly 'designed' - i'm having a H** of a time
with that stuff...

> > Or maybe having the whole thing in one language...
>
> Such as all in German, for instance?

I was just bugging ya...

> Having the whole thing
> in English was our intention, actually .

Please...

> Hm, not nice. Again, I'd be most grateful if someone could
> give me instructions on how to reproduce this?

Again, I can tell you this much... it was a help object which quite possibly
was incorrectly coded - bad link or somesuch.. but if you tell me the
translation, I might have a better idea.

Note again that other than the error message, the issue was (apparently)
entirely one of the pointer not being set back to being a pointer, rather
than an hourglass, over most of the debuggers' area.  I could continue
working with the debugger just fine.
Till WarwegRe: Hourglass pointer
on Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:00:33 +0100

> > you don't have a reproducable scenario for this, have you?
> > I've just tried to reproduce this but haven't succeeded...
> >

> I can ship you exe and data and such... it's rather large by my
> standards. or give you an ftp address to pick up a copy of... I can
> tell you that it was a HelpObject that I had selected... and it quite
> possibly is incorrectly initialized or at least incorrectly 'designed'
> - i'm having a H** of a time with that stuff...

Eric,

your offer is generous but what we need is instructions on
how to make this problem appear. If I read your previous
post correctly, this just occured once, correct?

Therefore, even though I'm into collecting apps I'm not
sure it would take us any further regarding the original
problem .

> > Such as all in German, for instance?
>
> I was just bugging ya...

Right .

> Again, I can tell you this much... it was a help object
> which quite possibly was incorrectly coded - bad link or
> somesuch.. but if you tell me the translation, I might have
> a better idea.

The implication is that an illegal operation was performed
on a generic data type. This doesn't help, I'm afraid.
What you describe sounds quite general and most probably
doesn't have anything to do with your coding or the classes
you were debugging. That's why I'm asking: Eric, what
the heck did you *do*? And if you do it again, does this
error reappear? The point is your interaction with the
IDE, of course.

  Till

--
ARD - Alaska Research & Development

Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
E-Mail:    mailto:till.warweg@alaska-research.com
Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
Eric BreddamRe: Hourglass pointer
on Wed, 14 Jan 2004 20:35:14 -0800
> your offer is generous but what we need is instructions on
> how to make this problem appear. If I read your previous
> post correctly, this just occured once, correct?

I think I tried again, from the beginning, and it still occured.

> The implication is that an illegal operation was performed
> on a generic data type.

Thank you.

> What you describe sounds quite general and most probably
> doesn't have anything to do with your coding

That's nice to know.

> the heck did you *do*? And if you do it again, does this
> error reappear? The point is your interaction with the
> IDE, of course.

I'll try to take it home tonight and recreate it, noting the steps along the
way.

-----

Meanwhile, some vague thoughts...

I think in the same day I had also discovered that installing as Admin
didn't give my user account access to VX, which was a problem; uninstalled
and reinstalled as the user since i'm actuallyl the only one who uses that
machine.

It's quite an older, slower machine... PII I think...

Win2K Pro.  Standalone.

Clicking on either of the other two items in the object inspector - two
arrays - had no problems.  Just on the help object.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.
Till WarwegRe: Hourglass pointer
on Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:21:03 +0100
> I'll try to take it home tonight and recreate it, noting the steps along
the
> way.

That would be nice.

> Meanwhile, some vague thoughts...
>
> I think in the same day I had also discovered that installing as
> Admin didn't give my user account access to VX, which was a
> problem; uninstalled and reinstalled as the user since i'm actuallyl
> the only one who uses that machine.

Eric,

it's my understanding that per default, the VX package always
installs a per-user copy. To use advanced administration
features, you'll have to use one of the zillion installation options
available through Windows Installer, all dubbed with
"Active", "Direct" or "Easy" prefixes by Microsoft marketing.
I've to admit that we haven't tried any of these so I've no idea
what you'd get yourself into if you did.

Regards,
  Till

--
ARD - Alaska Research & Development

Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
E-Mail:    mailto:till.warweg@alaska-research.com
Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
Thomas Braun Re: Hourglass pointer
on Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:29:10 +0100
Till Warweg:

> it's my understanding that per default, the VX package always
> installs a per-user copy. To use advanced administration
> features, you'll have to use one of the zillion installation options
> available through Windows Installer, all dubbed with
> "Active", "Direct" or "Easy" prefixes by Microsoft marketing.

Save time, nerves and money by using InnoSetup

It has all that you need plus Pascal scripting if you need more
than it has

After having tried Wise Installer and InstallShield, I'm very glad that I
have found InnoSetup.

I don't think you will ever need one of the more esoteric features of the
Microsoft Installer like the "just in case" installation that only places
an Icon on the desktop without actually installing the program as long as
nobody has used it on this machine.

Thomas Braun
Till WarwegRe: Hourglass pointer
on Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:17:48 +0100
"Thomas Braun" <spam@wegasoft.de> wrote in message
> Save time, nerves and money by using InnoSetup
>
> It has all that you need plus Pascal scripting if you need more
> than it has
>
> After having tried Wise Installer and InstallShield, I'm very glad that I
> have found InnoSetup.

Sound advice. We now have a fallback if we indeed lose
our nerve .

> I don't think you will ever need one of the more esoteric features of the
> Microsoft Installer like the "just in case" installation that only places
> an Icon on the desktop without actually installing the program as long as
> nobody has used it on this machine.

"Just in case", is that what they're calling it? Sounds like
something I'd like to use for this big application called
"Windows" . I mean, who's using that anyway <grin>.

  Till

--
ARD - Alaska Research & Development

Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
E-Mail:    mailto:till.warweg@alaska-research.com
Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
Thomas Braun Re: Hourglass pointer
on Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:46:46 +0100
Till Warweg:

> "Just in case", is that what they're calling it?

First of all, they are calling it a "technology", and the actual name is
"on-demand installation":

SNIP------------
Supports the on-demand installation of program features:

The installer can be instructed to initially install a minimal subset of a
program. Later, additional components can be automatically installed the
first time you use a features that require additional components.

Supports unattended program installation:
The installer supports the ability to script a program installation
according to administrator instructions.
------------SNIP

The whole thing can be found here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310598

> Sounds like
> something I'd like to use for this big application called
> "Windows" . I mean, who's using that anyway <grin>.

LOL

Thomas Braun
Till WarwegRe: Hourglass pointer
on Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:44:14 +0100
> > "Just in case", is that what they're calling it?
>
> First of all, they are calling it a "technology", and the actual name is
> "on-demand installation":
(...)

Ah, Thomas, that somehow takes the fun out of it. This sounds
as if it might actually work .

But thanks for the pointer!

  Till

--
ARD - Alaska Research & Development

Web:       http://www.alaska-research.com
Investors: http://www.alaska-research.com/tifund
E-Mail:    mailto:till.warweg@alaska-research.com
Contact:   mailto:info@alaska-research.com
Eric BreddamRe: Hourglass pointer
on Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:55:55 -0800
Funny Thomas should mention InnoSetup back there...

I think I figured it.

I take home my beta or gamma version via InnoSetup so I can test, amongst
other things, the installation procedure.  That setup includes the runtime
DLL's that any client would get if I was taking it to their site.

Those runtime DLL's come from my production machine and the production
machine _does_not_have VX on it.  It only exists on my home/play-with-stuff
machine.

So when I was using it there, I had the runtime DLL's from my production
machine in the application directory and presumably they are different, if
only slightly, from the runtime DLL's after a VX installation - I recreated
the error on first install and it disappeared when I renamed the installed
DLL's to _*.dll.

I hope this hasn't caused you too much grief.
Till WarwegRe: Hourglass pointer
on Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:42:25 +0100
> Funny Thomas should mention InnoSetup back there...

Okay, score one for Thomas then .

> So when I was using it there, I had the runtime DLL's from my production
> machine in the application directory and presumably they are different, if
> only slightly, from the runtime DLL's after a VX installation - I
recreated
> the error on first install and it disappeared when I renamed the installed
> DLL's to _*.dll.
>
> I hope this hasn't caused you too much grief.

No, don't you worry. I'm glad this seems to be resolved.

Thanks,
  Till