Alaska Software Inc. - Search fails with certain characters
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Search fails with certain characters
Joe Carrick Search fails with certain characters
on Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:03:09 -0700
It isn't possible (or at least I haven't been able to) search for
something like ++ or --.

I'm trying to find all instances of such things in all prg files of a
large project.  From test reports in another of the NG's, it's apparent
that it's much better to preIncrement than postIncrement by a facto of
about 4 times.

Since the use of this is not generally used in large iterations, it
probably doesn't have much impact on time, but I would like to review it
anyway.

-Joe
Martin AltmannRe: Search fails with certain characters
on Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:44:50 +0200
Joe,
read that thread again - it is not a factor of 4 times!
It is just .02 seconds.

Regards,
Martin

"Joe Carrick" <joe.carrick@dslextreme.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I'm trying to find all instances of such things in all prg files of a
> large project.  From test reports in another of the NG's, it's apparent
> that it's much better to preIncrement than postIncrement by a facto of
> about 4 times.
>
> -Joe
Joe Carrick Re: Search fails with certain characters
on Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:53:25 -0700
Martin Altmann wrote:
> Joe,
> read that thread again - it is not a factor of 4 times!
> It is just .02 seconds.
>
> Regards,
> Martin
>
> "Joe Carrick" <joe.carrick@dslextreme.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>>I'm trying to find all instances of such things in all prg files of a
>>large project.  From test reports in another of the NG's, it's apparent
>>that it's much better to preIncrement than postIncrement by a facto of
>>about 4 times.
>>
>>-Joe

Ahh, quite right - in fact, post icrement is actually .02 seconds
faster.  I was looking at the 2 other examples that resulted in .22
seconds which are pretty slow.

However, I still think that we should be able to search for ++ and -- etc.

-Joe
Don KeatingRe: Search fails with certain characters
on Wed, 01 Sep 2004 16:26:10 -0400
Joe,

I agree VX Editor should find 'em and I'm hopeful next version will since
you've pointed out the shortcoming.

ITM, I've found PowerGrep (http://www.powergrep.com/) to be a very helpful
utility.  Pays for itself at least 5 - 10 times a week.  Since I work on
much code I didn't write in the first place I constantly have need for
finding things.

HTH,