Alaska Software Inc. - VXUtility program
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: VXUtility program
James Loughner VXUtility program
on Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:20:23 -0500
Here is a utility program the adds some functionality to VX that the
beta does not have. Like DBeditor, copy/del files, create directories,
view error logs, Vault with a database of alot of code from over the
years, and interface to Inno Setup compiler from VX.

http://gogalthorp.com/splash/

You all owe me lunch

Jim
Joe CarrickRe: VXUtility program
on Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:48:48 -0800
Hi Jim,

A few problems - see below.

I get the following error:

--
ERROR LOG of "C:\VXUtility\VXUtility.exe" Date: 12/30/2003 11:31:31

Xbase++ version     : Xbase++ (R) Version 1.82.294
Operating system    : Windows XP 05.01 Build 02600 Service Pack 1
--
oError:args         :
          -> VALTYPE: N VALUE: 49
          -> VALTYPE: U VALUE: NIL
oError:canDefault   : N
oError:canRetry     : N
oError:canSubstitute: Y
oError:cargo        : NIL
oError:description  : Parameter has a wrong data type
oError:filename     :
oError:genCode      :          2
oError:operation    : set
oError:osCode       :          0
oError:severity     :          2
oError:subCode      :          3
oError:subSystem    : BASE
oError:thread       :          3
oError:tries        :          0
--
CALLSTACK:
--

I'm not sure what the "Vault" is supposed to do.  It appears to be empty.

"Create Setup" works but does not automatically open the "iss".

Some sort of documentation would be helpful, even if just tooltips.  If this
was written using Xbase++ as indicated in the error log then you should
include the prg and project file - otherwise we will eventually be unable to
use it when a new version of the runtime libs become available.

-Joe

"James Loughner" <jwrl@charter.net> wrote in message
> Here is a utility program the adds some functionality to VX that the
> beta does not have. Like DBeditor, copy/del files, create directories,
> view error logs, Vault with a database of alot of code from over the
> years, and interface to Inno Setup compiler from VX.
>
> http://gogalthorp.com/splash/
>
> You all owe me lunch
>
> Jim

James Loughner Re: VXUtility program
on Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:08:58 -0500
OOPS looks like I missed a file. try downloading again

Jim

Joe Carrick wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> A few problems - see below.
>
> I get the following error:

> --
> ERROR LOG of "C:\VXUtility\VXUtility.exe" Date: 12/30/2003 11:31:31
>
> Xbase++ version     : Xbase++ (R) Version 1.82.294
> Operating system    : Windows XP 05.01 Build 02600 Service Pack 1
> --
> oError:args         :
>           -> VALTYPE: N VALUE: 49
>           -> VALTYPE: U VALUE: NIL
> oError:canDefault   : N
> oError:canRetry     : N
> oError:canSubstitute: Y
> oError:cargo        : NIL
> oError:description  : Parameter has a wrong data type
> oError:filename     :
> oError:genCode      :          2
> oError:operation    : set
> oError:osCode       :          0
> oError:severity     :          2
> oError:subCode      :          3
> oError:subSystem    : BASE
> oError:thread       :          3
> oError:tries        :          0
> --
> CALLSTACK:
> --
> Called from LOADINISETTINGS(432)
> Called from DBEDITOR(142)

> I'm not sure what the "Vault" is supposed to do.  It appears to be empty.
>
> "Create Setup" works but does not automatically open the "iss".
>
> Some sort of documentation would be helpful, even if just tooltips.  If this
> was written using Xbase++ as indicated in the error log then you should
> include the prg and project file - otherwise we will eventually be unable to
> use it when a new version of the runtime libs become available.
>
> -Joe
>

> "James Loughner" <jwrl@charter.net> wrote in message
>
>>Here is a utility program the adds some functionality to VX that the
>>beta does not have. Like DBeditor, copy/del files, create directories,
>>view error logs, Vault with a database of alot of code from over the
>>years, and interface to Inno Setup compiler from VX.
>>
>>http://gogalthorp.com/splash/
>>
>>You all owe me lunch
>>
>>Jim

James Loughner Re: VXUtility program
on Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:33:28 -0500
Joe Carrick wrote:

> I'm not sure what the "Vault" is supposed to do.  It appears to be empty.

Not sure why. I sent my files and they work here. I'll rebuild the setup
maybe something got corrupted.

> "Create Setup" works but does not automatically open the "iss".

Do you have Inno installed?? If so do you have it associated with .iss??
The program uses START xxxx.iss to run the associated file.

> Some sort of documentation would be helpful, even if just tooltips.  If this
> was written using Xbase++ as indicated in the error log then you should
> include the prg and project file - otherwise we will eventually be unable to
> use it when a new version of the runtime libs become available.

Hay, I just threw this together. Its actually a modified version of my
IDE program with alot of the interface conditionaly compiled out and
modified to always be on top. The DATA component is Jeremy Suiter's
DBEditor and there are some problems with this code, like it requires an
init file to be present rather then creating one when not found etc. I
really have not fooled with the code too much except to allow calling it
as a function. I intend to release the code but my probllem is that
there is currently a ton of none functional code from my origianl IDE
and I thought I'd split it out later and make a cleaner code base. If
you would like I'll eamil you the code, but I don't want a general
release until I clean it up. Also, Some of this stuff might get put into
the VX program and or a VXPackage might be made in the future.

Jim

> -Joe
>

> "James Loughner" <jwrl@charter.net> wrote in message
>
>>Here is a utility program the adds some functionality to VX that the
>>beta does not have. Like DBeditor, copy/del files, create directories,
>>view error logs, Vault with a database of alot of code from over the
>>years, and interface to Inno Setup compiler from VX.
>>
>>http://gogalthorp.com/splash/
>>
>>You all owe me lunch
>>
>>Jim

Joe CarrickRe: VXUtility program
on Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:06:03 -0800
Hi James,

> Joe Carrick wrote:
>

> > I'm not sure what the "Vault" is supposed to do.  It appears to be
empty.

> Not sure why. I sent my files and they work here. I'll rebuild the setup
> maybe something got corrupted.
>

> > "Create Setup" works but does not automatically open the "iss".
>
> Do you have Inno installed?? If so do you have it associated with .iss??
> The program uses START xxxx.iss to run the associated file.

Yes and Yes

> > Some sort of documentation would be helpful, even if just tooltips.  If
this
> > was written using Xbase++ as indicated in the error log then you should
> > include the prg and project file - otherwise we will eventually be
unable to
> > use it when a new version of the runtime libs become available.
>
> Hay, I just threw this together. Its actually a modified version of my
> IDE program with alot of the interface conditionaly compiled out and
> modified to always be on top. The DATA component is Jeremy Suiter's
> DBEditor and there are some problems with this code, like it requires an
> init file to be present rather then creating one when not found etc. I
> really have not fooled with the code too much except to allow calling it
> as a function. I intend to release the code but my probllem is that
> there is currently a ton of none functional code from my origianl IDE
> and I thought I'd split it out later and make a cleaner code base. If
> you would like I'll eamil you the code, but I don't want a general
> release until I clean it up. Also, Some of this stuff might get put into
> the VX program and or a VXPackage might be made in the future.
>
> Jim

I understand.  I actually have my own DbEditor that I've been thinking of
putting on the market.
It's data driven - automatically sets up a browse based on the data,
dataTypes, etc.  Everything is sized automatically and it provides for
filters, locate, seek, pack, delete, restore,...............

My preference is going to be to substitute my DbEditor anyway - I can simply
add it as a Tool.

-Joe

> > -Joe
> >

> > "James Loughner" <jwrl@charter.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>Here is a utility program the adds some functionality to VX that the
> >>beta does not have. Like DBeditor, copy/del files, create directories,
> >>view error logs, Vault with a database of alot of code from over the
> >>years, and interface to Inno Setup compiler from VX.
> >>
> >>http://gogalthorp.com/splash/
> >>
> >>You all owe me lunch
> >>
> >>Jim

Joe CarrickRe: VXUtility program
on Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:58:40 -0800
Hi Jim,

I tried to open "Vault.dbf" with dbu.exe and got "corruption detected".

I don't think we owe you lunch just yet.

-Joe

"James Loughner" <jwrl@charter.net> wrote in message
> Here is a utility program the adds some functionality to VX that the
> beta does not have. Like DBeditor, copy/del files, create directories,
> view error logs, Vault with a database of alot of code from over the
> years, and interface to Inno Setup compiler from VX.
>
> http://gogalthorp.com/splash/
>
> You all owe me lunch
>
> Jim

James Loughner Re: VXUtility program
on Tue, 30 Dec 2003 17:49:07 -0500
Hi Joe

The Vault has a bunch of code mostly derived from the NG. ie yours mine
and alot of other contribution. It a place to store code snipits
functions etc that might have some use in future projects.

It is a FOXDBF so I'm not suprized that DBU chocked.

note you should just not run it it should be installed in VX and the
correct perameters passed. You did read the readme.txt file???

VXUtility pathtoproject Projectname

To use just add to the Tools menu in VX and
  use these perameters

&PRJDIR &PRJNAME

You will need to reload if you change projects since the
program will not recieve a message to change at present.

ie use

Joe Carrick wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> I tried to open "Vault.dbf" with dbu.exe and got "corruption detected".
>
> I don't think we owe you lunch just yet.
>
> -Joe
>
> "James Loughner" <jwrl@charter.net> wrote in message
>
>>Here is a utility program the adds some functionality to VX that the
>>beta does not have. Like DBeditor, copy/del files, create directories,
>>view error logs, Vault with a database of alot of code from over the
>>years, and interface to Inno Setup compiler from VX.
>>
>>http://gogalthorp.com/splash/
>>
>>You all owe me lunch
>>
>>Jim

Joe CarrickRe: VXUtility program
on Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:25:58 -0800
Hi James,

I reinstalled and the Vault now works fine.  DbEditor is now working, but it
is missing the hlp file.
Also, please change the Setup file so that it doesn't create a desktop
icon - it won't run that way, so there is no point in cluttering the
desktop.

I still need to test the create setup function to see if it's now working.
I'll let you know later.

> Hi Joe
>
> The Vault has a bunch of code mostly derived from the NG. ie yours mine
> and alot of other contribution. It a place to store code snipits
> functions etc that might have some use in future projects.
>
> It is a FOXDBF so I'm not suprized that DBU chocked.
>
> note you should just not run it it should be installed in VX and the
> correct perameters passed. You did read the readme.txt file???
>
> VXUtility pathtoproject Projectname
>
> To use just add to the Tools menu in VX and
>   use these perameters
>
> &PRJDIR &PRJNAME
>
> You will need to reload if you change projects since the
> program will not recieve a message to change at present.
>

> ie use
>
> Joe Carrick wrote:
> > Hi Jim,
> >
> > I tried to open "Vault.dbf" with dbu.exe and got "corruption detected".
> >
> > I don't think we owe you lunch just yet.
> >
> > -Joe
> >
> > "James Loughner" <jwrl@charter.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>Here is a utility program the adds some functionality to VX that the
> >>beta does not have. Like DBeditor, copy/del files, create directories,
> >>view error logs, Vault with a database of alot of code from over the
> >>years, and interface to Inno Setup compiler from VX.
> >>
> >>http://gogalthorp.com/splash/
> >>
> >>You all owe me lunch
> >>
> >>Jim

James Loughner Re: VXUtility program
on Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:28:38 -0500
Joe Carrick wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> I reinstalled and the Vault now works fine.  DbEditor is now working, but it
> is missing the hlp file.
> Also, please change the Setup file so that it doesn't create a desktop
> icon - it won't run that way, so there is no point in cluttering the
> desktop.

Good point. I was using the default templet which creates the icons.

> I still need to test the create setup function to see if it's now working.
> I'll let you know later.
>
> -Joe
Joe CarrickRe: VXUtility program
on Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:48:34 -0800
Hi Jim,

FYI,

MakeDir and MakeSetup don't work on my system.  They try to create a folder:

C:\Alaska\XPPW32\Projects\Rulers\Rulers.xpj
 or
C:\Alaska\XPPW32\Projects\Rulers\Rulers.xpj\Install

instead of

C:\Alaska\XPPW32\Projects\Rulers\Install

and I can't enter a different name.

-Joe

"James Loughner" <jwrl@charter.net> wrote in message
> Hi Joe
>
> The Vault has a bunch of code mostly derived from the NG. ie yours mine
> and alot of other contribution. It a place to store code snipits
> functions etc that might have some use in future projects.
>
> It is a FOXDBF so I'm not suprized that DBU chocked.
>
> note you should just not run it it should be installed in VX and the
> correct perameters passed. You did read the readme.txt file???
>
> VXUtility pathtoproject Projectname
>
> To use just add to the Tools menu in VX and
>   use these perameters
>
> &PRJDIR &PRJNAME
>
> You will need to reload if you change projects since the
> program will not recieve a message to change at present.
>

> ie use
>
> Joe Carrick wrote:
> > Hi Jim,
> >
> > I tried to open "Vault.dbf" with dbu.exe and got "corruption detected".
> >
> > I don't think we owe you lunch just yet.
> >
> > -Joe
> >
> > "James Loughner" <jwrl@charter.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>Here is a utility program the adds some functionality to VX that the
> >>beta does not have. Like DBeditor, copy/del files, create directories,
> >>view error logs, Vault with a database of alot of code from over the
> >>years, and interface to Inno Setup compiler from VX.
> >>
> >>http://gogalthorp.com/splash/
> >>
> >>You all owe me lunch
> >>
> >>Jim

James Loughner Re: VXUtility program
on Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:26:05 -0500
Thanks for testing I'll look into it. VX passes the path name of the
project file. I'm stripping the path I guess I need to strip the
extension too. One of the reasons I wanted just a project name from the
  macros.

Jim

Joe Carrick wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> FYI,
>
> MakeDir and MakeSetup don't work on my system.  They try to create a folder:
>
> C:\Alaska\XPPW32\Projects\Rulers\Rulers.xpj
>  or
> C:\Alaska\XPPW32\Projects\Rulers\Rulers.xpj\Install
>
> instead of
>
> C:\Alaska\XPPW32\Projects\Rulers\Install
>
> and I can't enter a different name.
>
> -Joe
>
> "James Loughner" <jwrl@charter.net> wrote in message
>
>>Hi Joe
>>
>>The Vault has a bunch of code mostly derived from the NG. ie yours mine
>>and alot of other contribution. It a place to store code snipits
>>functions etc that might have some use in future projects.
>>
>>It is a FOXDBF so I'm not suprized that DBU chocked.
>>
>>note you should just not run it it should be installed in VX and the
>>correct perameters passed. You did read the readme.txt file???
>>
>>VXUtility pathtoproject Projectname
>>
>>To use just add to the Tools menu in VX and
>>  use these perameters
>>
>>&PRJDIR &PRJNAME
>>
>>You will need to reload if you change projects since the
>>program will not recieve a message to change at present.
>>

>>ie use
>>
>>Joe Carrick wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Jim,
>>>
>>>I tried to open "Vault.dbf" with dbu.exe and got "corruption detected".
>>>
>>>I don't think we owe you lunch just yet.
>>>
>>>-Joe
>>>
>>>"James Loughner" <jwrl@charter.net> wrote in message

James Loughner Re: VXUtility program
on Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:59:48 -0500
Hi Joe

How odd, I just checked and all is working here. Did you download the
newer version or just reinstall from the first one?? I think that maybe
when I setup compiled the first one, there was an error that I missed
and so I uploaded a pre-version from when I was testing. That could
explain what you are seeing.

I'm uploading the current version I'm using now. It includes the
DBEditor help file and should not create icons.

Jim

Joe Carrick wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> FYI,
>
> MakeDir and MakeSetup don't work on my system.  They try to create a folder:
>
> C:\Alaska\XPPW32\Projects\Rulers\Rulers.xpj
>  or
> C:\Alaska\XPPW32\Projects\Rulers\Rulers.xpj\Install
>
> instead of
>
> C:\Alaska\XPPW32\Projects\Rulers\Install
>
> and I can't enter a different name.
>
> -Joe

Joe CarrickRe: VXUtility program
on Wed, 31 Dec 2003 08:39:39 -0800
Hi Jim,

I completely downloaded and reinstalled.  The EXE is date/time stamped
12/29/2003 7:28 PM
I know that I go your latest Setup because:

1.  Visual DbEditor.HLP is now on my system.

As I said before, it's trying to create a directory:

C:\Alaska\XPPW32\Projects\Rulers\Rulers.xpj\Install
instead of:
C:\Alaska\XPPW32\Projects\Rulers\Install

Notice that there is not just an unwanted extension, but an entire extra
directory named "Rulers.xpj" that's in the string.

I'm going to delete the EXE and run setup again, but I doubt that it will
fix the problem.

> Hi Joe
>
> How odd, I just checked and all is working here. Did you download the
> newer version or just reinstall from the first one?? I think that maybe
> when I setup compiled the first one, there was an error that I missed
> and so I uploaded a pre-version from when I was testing. That could
> explain what you are seeing.
>
> I'm uploading the current version I'm using now. It includes the
> DBEditor help file and should not create icons.
>
> Jim
>
> Joe Carrick wrote:
> > Hi Jim,
> >
> > FYI,
> >
> > MakeDir and MakeSetup don't work on my system.  They try to create a
folder:

> > C:\Alaska\XPPW32\Projects\Rulers\Rulers.xpj
> >  or
> > C:\Alaska\XPPW32\Projects\Rulers\Rulers.xpj\Install
> >
> > instead of
> >
> > C:\Alaska\XPPW32\Projects\Rulers\Install
> >
> > and I can't enter a different name.
> >
> > -Joe

James Loughner Re: VXUtility program
on Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:04:17 -0500
That really strange. It works fine here and looking at the code there is
  no way that could be unless---

you reversed the order of the perameters

&PRJDIR &PRJNAME  <-- correct order

or for some reason VX is passing the PRJNAME with the PRJDIR string.

note &PRJNAME will include the entire path name.

Jim

Joe Carrick wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> I completely downloaded and reinstalled.  The EXE is date/time stamped
> 12/29/2003 7:28 PM
> I know that I go your latest Setup because:
>
> 1.  Visual DbEditor.HLP is now on my system.
>
> As I said before, it's trying to create a directory:
>
> C:\Alaska\XPPW32\Projects\Rulers\Rulers.xpj\Install
> instead of:
> C:\Alaska\XPPW32\Projects\Rulers\Install
>
> Notice that there is not just an unwanted extension, but an entire extra
> directory named "Rulers.xpj" that's in the string.
>
> I'm going to delete the EXE and run setup again, but I doubt that it will
> fix the problem.
>
> -Joe
>

> "James Loughner" <jwrl@charter.net> wrote in message

Joe CarrickRe: VXUtility program
on Wed, 31 Dec 2003 10:21:24 -0800
Ahhhh!

That's it.

Thanks, Joe

> That really strange. It works fine here and looking at the code there is
>   no way that could be unless---
>
> you reversed the order of the perameters
>
> &PRJDIR &PRJNAME  <-- correct order
>
> or for some reason VX is passing the PRJNAME with the PRJDIR string.
>
> note &PRJNAME will include the entire path name.
>
> Jim
>
> Joe Carrick wrote:
>
> > Hi Jim,
> >
> > I completely downloaded and reinstalled.  The EXE is date/time stamped
> > 12/29/2003 7:28 PM
> > I know that I go your latest Setup because:
> >
> > 1.  Visual DbEditor.HLP is now on my system.
> >
> > As I said before, it's trying to create a directory:
> >
> > C:\Alaska\XPPW32\Projects\Rulers\Rulers.xpj\Install
> > instead of:
> > C:\Alaska\XPPW32\Projects\Rulers\Install
> >
> > Notice that there is not just an unwanted extension, but an entire extra
> > directory named "Rulers.xpj" that's in the string.
> >
> > I'm going to delete the EXE and run setup again, but I doubt that it
will
> > fix the problem.
> >
> > -Joe
> >

> > "James Loughner" <jwrl@charter.net> wrote in message

Joe CarrickRe: VXUtility program
on Wed, 31 Dec 2003 10:32:45 -0800
Hi Jim,

OK, it's all working except that:

IDESetup.BAT contains:

C:
CD \ALASKA\XPPW32\Projects\Rulers\
Start "Rulers.iss"

and the 3rd line fails.

I edited it to:

C:
CD \ALASKA\XPPW32\Projects\Rulers\
Start Rulers.iss

and it works.

I'm using WinXP_Pro but I'm not sure why the quotes are a problem.  Does it
work with the quotes in Win98?

-Joe

"James Loughner" <jwrl@charter.net> wrote in message
> That really strange. It works fine here and looking at the code there is
>   no way that could be unless---
>
> you reversed the order of the perameters
>
> &PRJDIR &PRJNAME  <-- correct order
>
> or for some reason VX is passing the PRJNAME with the PRJDIR string.
>
> note &PRJNAME will include the entire path name.
>
> Jim
>
> Joe Carrick wrote:
>
> > Hi Jim,
> >
> > I completely downloaded and reinstalled.  The EXE is date/time stamped
> > 12/29/2003 7:28 PM
> > I know that I go your latest Setup because:
> >
> > 1.  Visual DbEditor.HLP is now on my system.
> >
> > As I said before, it's trying to create a directory:
> >
> > C:\Alaska\XPPW32\Projects\Rulers\Rulers.xpj\Install
> > instead of:
> > C:\Alaska\XPPW32\Projects\Rulers\Install
> >
> > Notice that there is not just an unwanted extension, but an entire extra
> > directory named "Rulers.xpj" that's in the string.
> >
> > I'm going to delete the EXE and run setup again, but I doubt that it
will
> > fix the problem.
> >
> > -Joe
> >

> > "James Loughner" <jwrl@charter.net> wrote in message

James Loughner Re: VXUtility program
on Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:52:48 -0500
Joe,

Works here (Win98). I think I put " around it when I was including the
full path which may contain long names with spaces etc, long ago. But I
don't think it's needed now so I'll remove them. I don't why XP is
choking on them??? Good o'l M$ a good consitant interface. (NOT)

Ok, Just made the change and it still works here without quotes. No suprise.

I'm uploading the new version with hopefully all problems fixed. I did
change the version number to 1.0B

Thanks for helping.
I guess I owe you lunch

Jim