Alaska Software Inc. - Unable to Clean Uninstall
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Unable to Clean Uninstall
KurtUnable to Clean Uninstall
on Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:05:51 -0700
In an attempt to go back to square 1, I.E. screwed up everything in
ShortCuts and configs, I UnInstalled VX.2
and have found the OLD CONFIGS were in place somewhere in Cyber Land.

I am having a lot of problems with Conflicting ShortCuts, there are a lot of
Issues, I.E. you assign a ShortCut in the Customizing Tools Section and you
are not alerted to a conflict against another key.

I would like to be able to DELETE the INI or CFG file that controls the
Personalizeation of VX..

I realize there are bugs, no PROBLEMO, but if someone could point out where
the configs are stored I would appreciate it

I am Extremley inpressed with this first release,

Peace
Kurt,
Software by khg
Andreas Gehrs-Pahl Re: Unable to Clean Uninstall
on Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:01:21 -0500
Kurt,

>In an attempt to go back to square 1, I.E. screwed up everything in
>ShortCuts and configs, I UnInstalled VX.2
>and have found the OLD CONFIGS were in place somewhere in Cyber Land.

This post should probably in the "public.visual-xbase.installation" NG, were
you can also find the answer to your question.

>I am having a lot of problems with Conflicting ShortCuts, there are a lot of
>Issues, I.E. you assign a ShortCut in the Customizing Tools Section and you
>are not alerted to a conflict against another key.

I agree that this would be an important addition, before I would even try to
mess around with user-defined keyboard ShortCuts in a complex and (at this
point) not too well documented, new, program.

>I would like to be able to DELETE the INI or CFG file that controls the
>Personalizeation of VX..

This is relatively easy -- use "VX.exe -cr" on the command prompt.

>I realize there are bugs, no PROBLEMO, but if someone could point out where
>the configs are stored I would appreciate it

Please read through all NGs and all posts -- there aren't that many yet --
and you will find many of your questions answered. Case in point, see the
following post by Andreas Herdt in the Installation NG from Monday, January
12, 2004, in the thread titled "2.0.235 setup fails", from which I quote:

>Hi all,

>There are two places where things are saved for persistence, the
>registry and the project file.
>When uninstalling the vx, the uninstaller does not remove the registry
>key, and when installing vx again, they are not cleaned either.

>We have not advised you to clean the registry since technically it was
>not required for the latest update and we wanted you not to loose your
>settings. However, we should have been more communicative in this issue.

>Rule of thumb:
>o What can not be found in the project files is stored in the registry.
>o Un/Install does not take care of the registry.
>o VX.exe -cr clears the registry (of course the VX stuff only)

HTH,

-- Andreas

---                                                                      ---
  Andreas Gehrs-Pahl              E-Mail: GPahl@CharterMI.net
  415 Gute Street                     or: Andreas@DDPSoftware.com
  Owosso, MI 48867-4410               or: Andreas@Aerospace-History.net
  Tel: (989) 723-9927           Web Site: http://www.Aerospace-History.net
---                                                                      ---
PoliticallyIncorrectRe: Unable to Clean Uninstall
on Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:27:48 -0700
Thank you for your quick and informative response,
In lieu of the fact this is running in this thread, Debug
I will continue here, but certainly pay more attention to where I post.. in
the future

In following your recomendations, I have modified the command a tad, instead
of Vx.exe I used Vx20.EXE -cr I assume thats what you meant

If, in fact, the Configuration is in the Registery, the Command line did not
resolve my problem, Some how I would like to remove all indications of VX
and reinstall,  The short Cuts are still incorrect not having reverted back
to the defaults, VX20.exe still comes up with the ShortCuts messed up and
the ToolBar for Icons and Text Commands are not back to the default...

Its not a big deal, I guess I could hunt the registry for indicates of VX,
but that would certainly be a last resort.
I have fished around the registy before and always do that as a last resort
and of course I would do a recombant DNA on it.... copy it....before.

Peace
Kurt
software@xmission.com