Alaska Software Inc. - Session manager
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Session manager
Allen Lee Session manager
on Fri, 28 Jun 2013 00:25:51 -0700
I understand the migration away from WAA but I want to stay with the
product.
For the remaining developers, has anyone developed their own session
manager?
A simple 'Yes' or 'No' will give me assurance that there are some WAA
developers left who still read the forum.
Thomas BraunRe: Session manager
on Mon, 15 Jul 2013 17:41:48 +0200
Allen Lee wrote:

> I understand the migration away from WAA but I want to stay with the
> product.

I'm starting to use Django framwork (Python) this year for a new project
(One of the main reasons is that I need full unicode support) but will
maintain older projects that still run on WAA.

> For the remaining developers, has anyone developed their own session
> manager?

YES!

> A simple 'Yes' or 'No' will give me assurance that there are some WAA
> developers left who still read the forum.

I'm still reading (and writing) from time to time.

regards
Thomas
Allen Lee Re: Session manager
on Mon, 15 Jul 2013 16:42:06 -0700
Thank you for replying, Thomas.
I thought that I was alone.

First, we lost the invaluable contributions from Phil Ide and now ... we
are losing you?

How steep was the learning curve change to learn a new Python language?

I was looking for some tips on writing my own session manager due to the
corruption of the Alaska session manager under high loads.

How did you loose faith in the Alaska session manager?

Can you give me any tips or allow me to look at some code?

I don't know if the problem is due to limited connections allowed under
Windows or due to Alaska.

I need a framework, like Unix, that eliminates Windows if the new
session manager doesn't fix the problem.

On 7/15/2013 8:41 AM, Thomas Braun wrote:
> Allen Lee wrote:
>
>> I understand the migration away from WAA but I want to stay with the
>> product.
>
> I'm starting to use Django framwork (Python) this year for a new project
> (One of the main reasons is that I need full unicode support) but will
> maintain older projects that still run on WAA.
>
>> For the remaining developers, has anyone developed their own session
>> manager?
>
> YES!
>
>> A simple 'Yes' or 'No' will give me assurance that there are some WAA
>> developers left who still read the forum.
>
> I'm still reading (and writing) from time to time.
>
> regards
> Thomas

Erik Re: Session manager
on Tue, 16 Jul 2013 10:48:55 -0400
When you say high loads are you talking about active sessions or hits
per. second?

I use xb2.net for my web sites and am just curious at what type of load
you are starting to see problems.

Erik

On 7/15/2013 7:42 PM, Allen Lee wrote:
> Thank you for replying, Thomas.
> I thought that I was alone.
>
> First, we lost the invaluable contributions from Phil Ide and now ... we
> are losing you?
>
> How steep was the learning curve change to learn a new Python language?
>
> I was looking for some tips on writing my own session manager due to the
> corruption of the Alaska session manager under high loads.
>
> How did you loose faith in the Alaska session manager?
>
> Can you give me any tips or allow me to look at some code?
>
> I don't know if the problem is due to limited connections allowed under
> Windows or due to Alaska.
>
> I need a framework, like Unix, that eliminates Windows if the new
> session manager doesn't fix the problem.
>
> On 7/15/2013 8:41 AM, Thomas Braun wrote:
>> Allen Lee wrote:
>>
>>> I understand the migration away from WAA but I want to stay with the
>>> product.
>>
>> I'm starting to use Django framwork (Python) this year for a new project
>> (One of the main reasons is that I need full unicode support) but will
>> maintain older projects that still run on WAA.
>>
>>> For the remaining developers, has anyone developed their own session
>>> manager?
>>
>> YES!
>>
>>> A simple 'Yes' or 'No' will give me assurance that there are some WAA
>>> developers left who still read the forum.
>>
>> I'm still reading (and writing) from time to time.
>>
>> regards
>> Thomas

Allen Lee Re: Session manager
on Wed, 17 Jul 2013 01:19:53 -0700
Hi Erik:

I'm talking about hits per second.

We experience a high load only at certain predictable registration times.

During those times we see up to 16 requests per second.
About 3 of those requests do not complete as evidenced in the log file
"Worker #nn Request not completed"

The elapsed time completing a request ranges between .01 and 2.55 seconds
The average elapsed time to complete a request is .03 seconds

Do you have any similiar high loads?
Thomas BraunRe: Session manager
on Wed, 17 Jul 2013 16:19:47 +0200
Allen Lee wrote:

> How steep was the learning curve change to learn a new Python language?

I'm still learning - but python is (IMHO) very easy to learn and does not
suffer from so many design problems like PHP ( See
http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/ for more
details)

The Django framework is complex - but has a very active community. If you
have any problem you will get help in no time.

> I was looking for some tips on writing my own session manager due to the
> corruption of the Alaska session manager under high loads.

I would not classify my application as "high load", but I also had problems
with wrong session data from time to time.

My session management is loosely based on some code by Phil Ide who created
his own "WAA" version...

> Can you give me any tips or allow me to look at some code?

The code is tightly coupled to my own version of the html3 class - but I
can send you the relevant parts so you might get an idea

regards
Thomas
Jorge LRe: Session manager
on Wed, 17 Jul 2013 12:44:15 -0300
Hi Thomas
do you have an IDE environment to edit and compile , run and debug?

"Thomas Braun" escribió en el mensaje de
noticias:uqbsc5xeqym.1k8g5qd2bs5ou$.dlg@40tude.net...

Allen Lee wrote:

> How steep was the learning curve change to learn a new Python language?

I'm still learning - but python is (IMHO) very easy to learn and does not
suffer from so many design problems like PHP ( See
http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/ for more
details)

The Django framework is complex - but has a very active community. If you
have any problem you will get help in no time.

> I was looking for some tips on writing my own session manager due to the
> corruption of the Alaska session manager under high loads.

I would not classify my application as "high load", but I also had problems
with wrong session data from time to time.

My session management is loosely based on some code by Phil Ide who created
his own "WAA" version...

> Can you give me any tips or allow me to look at some code?

The code is tightly coupled to my own version of the html3 class - but I
can send you the relevant parts so you might get an idea

regards
Thomas
Thomas BraunRe: Session manager
on Thu, 18 Jul 2013 09:53:04 +0200
Jorge L wrote:

> Hi Thomas
> do you have an IDE environment to edit and compile , run and debug?

For python?

Currently not, but I'm planning to use PyCharm from JetBrains as this seems
to be the durrent "standard" for Python/Django development.

thomas
Allen Lee Re: Session manager
on Thu, 18 Jul 2013 09:17:29 -0700
Hi Thomas:

What prompted Phil and you to write a replacement for the Alaska session
manager?

Could the session manager be made to resolve the "Worker #<n> Request
not completed" errors in the WAA log file?
Thomas BraunRe: Session manager
on Fri, 19 Jul 2013 08:24:34 +0200
Allen Lee wrote:

> What prompted Phil and you to write a replacement for the Alaska session
> manager?

I think Phil wanted to have more control. But the project as such was never
really finished. I'm not even 100% sure if Phil actually used in in a
production environment.

> Could the session manager be made to resolve the "Worker #<n> Request
> not completed" errors in the WAA log file?

Good question - as I don't know what causes this specific error I would not
even try to speculate....

Thomas