Alaska Software Inc. - restructre of application
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: restructre of application
JAYARAM MYSORErestructre of application
on Sun, 17 Jan 2010 06:24:45 +0530
Dear Sir,

I have migrated to Xbase from Clipper 87, but still in text mode/hybrid. I
want to do it 100% GUI and make use of Ownerdrawn menu systems.
My application is growing big (about 56.1 MB) And it take a long time open
my application on a LAN.
I need your help to :
Restructure my application and create several smaller .dlls. Like .ovl files
in Clipper 87.
Create Ownerdrawn Menu Systems for my Application.

Can I fix up a time and give you access of my system over TeamViewer and let
me shown and explain you what I want ?

Any help from anybody is welcomed.
Regards
Jayaram
Zupan Miran Re: restructre of application
on Sun, 17 Jan 2010 14:28:08 +0100
Some ideas
> I have migrated to Xbase from Clipper 87, but still in text mode/hybrid. I
> want to do it 100% GUI and make use of Ownerdrawn menu systems.
Use latest Topdown & Express library

> My application is growing big (about 56.1 MB) And it take a long time open
> my application on a LAN.
Put exe, dll and tmp files (index, prints...) on your local machine and make path
to server.
ex:
1. in configuration file on every client machine save the path where program
find your dbf databases -  M:/MyApp/MyDBF
2. on startup read the config.dbf and put path to public var
    ex.: public cDatabases:=config->path
3. in your program modul use something like this (I use TopDown..)

  IF tdOpenDbf("&cDatabases"+"PARTNER.dbf","PARTNER","shared")
     set index to "&cDatabases"+"PARTNER"
     OrdSetFocus("sifra")
     dbGoTop()
  ELSE
     close all; RETURN nil
  ENDIF

Your application is about 56.1 MB big. Try UPX software for packing executables

> Restructure my application and create several smaller .dlls. Like .ovl files
> in Clipper 87.
I have accounting software with one main menu which start several small exe moduls
I know, this approach cause harder work with upgrades (I must copy all exe to all local
computers), but for now it works OK, so, why change it.

Best regards
Miran Zupan

--------------------------------
SPC Zupan Miran s.p.
Tomanova pot 9, 1251 Moravce, Slovenia
TEL: (xx386)  59 / 045 - 909
GSM: 041/ 620 - 753

E-mail: spczupan@spc-zupan.si
Web site:    www.spc-zupan.si
--------------------------------
mark carew Re: restructre of application
on Mon, 18 Jan 2010 08:26:51 +1000
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 06:24:45 +0530, JAYARAM MYSORE wrote:

> Dear Sir,
>

> I have migrated to Xbase from Clipper 87, but still in text mode/hybrid. I
> want to do it 100% GUI and make use of Ownerdrawn menu systems.
> My application is growing big (about 56.1 MB) And it take a long time open
> my application on a LAN.
> I need your help to :
> Restructure my application and create several smaller .dlls. Like .ovl files
> in Clipper 87.
> Create Ownerdrawn Menu Systems for my Application.
>

> Can I fix up a time and give you access of my system over TeamViewer and let
> me shown and explain you what I want ?
>

> Any help from anybody is welcomed.
> Regards
> Jayaram

Hi Jayaram,

56.1MB, Sounds like you need to do some serious refactoring. E.g. making
your data entry screens data driven by using what is now called the factory
pattern. Also your browses could do with similiar treatment. Consider
scripting your menus in a similiar fashion. I have very large systems with
upwards of the equivalent of 105 dbf files that are flat out reaching 4 MB
for the exe file and 3 mb for the common routines dll file, by data driving
my solutions.

HTH
Mark
Jorge LRe: restructre of application
on Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:50:27 -0300
Hi
don't include images like resources in your exe