Alaska Software Inc. - MySQL project
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: MySQL project
Regan CawkwellMySQL project
on Tue, 27 Oct 2020 17:34:14 +0000
We have a customer that wants us to directly interact with a MySQL database.  This
requires us to be able to query, update and insert records in various tables with order
details.

Currently we only have experience of using SQL with ADS.

Can anyone give recommendations of the best way to achieve this in Xbase++?

Many thanks.

Regan
Rba (Uk)
Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Re: MySQL project
on Tue, 27 Oct 2020 16:35:29 -0400
Regan,

>We have a customer that wants us to directly interact with a MySQL database.
>This requires us to be able to query, update and insert records in various
>tables with order details.

>Currently we only have experience of using SQL with ADS.

>Can anyone give recommendations of the best way to achieve this in Xbase++?

You can try the Alaska Xbase++ ODBCDBE to connect to pretty much any SQL
RDBMS, but I would recommend you use Boris Borzic's SQLExpress instead. It
is by far more sophisticated and stable, but as it isn't a DBE, it uses OOP
(classes and objects), rather than workareas and aliases, as DBEs (like the
ODBCDBE) are able to.

If you have a professional Xbase++ subscription, which I assume you do have,
as you seem to use the ADSDBE already, you also have access to the ODBCDBE.
But the extra cost for SQLExpress is definitely worth the features and
quality of the product.

I have worked with both, and in my experience, working with complex or
larger datasets, blobs, complex parameterized queries, etc. will definitely
require SQLExpress. You can download a demo from here:

	http://www.xb2.net/sqlxpp/index.htm

Hope that helps,

PS: I don't get any royalties from either Alaska or Boris.

Andreas

Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Absolute Software, LLC

phone: (989) 723-9927
email: Andreas@AbsoluteSoftwareLLC.com
web:   http://www.AbsoluteSoftwareLLC.com
[L]:   https://www.LinkedIn.com/in/AndreasGehrsPahl
[F]:   https://www.FaceBook.com/AbsoluteSoftwareLLC
Regan CawkwellRe: MySQL project
on Wed, 28 Oct 2020 10:39:17 +0000
On 27/10/2020 20:35, Andreas Gehrs-Pahl wrote:
> Regan,
>
>> We have a customer that wants us to directly interact with a MySQL database.
>> This requires us to be able to query, update and insert records in various
>> tables with order details.
>
>> Currently we only have experience of using SQL with ADS.
>
>> Can anyone give recommendations of the best way to achieve this in Xbase++?
>
> You can try the Alaska Xbase++ ODBCDBE to connect to pretty much any SQL
> RDBMS, but I would recommend you use Boris Borzic's SQLExpress instead. It
> is by far more sophisticated and stable, but as it isn't a DBE, it uses OOP
> (classes and objects), rather than workareas and aliases, as DBEs (like the
> ODBCDBE) are able to.
>
> If you have a professional Xbase++ subscription, which I assume you do have,
> as you seem to use the ADSDBE already, you also have access to the ODBCDBE.
> But the extra cost for SQLExpress is definitely worth the features and
> quality of the product.
>
> I have worked with both, and in my experience, working with complex or
> larger datasets, blobs, complex parameterized queries, etc. will definitely
> require SQLExpress. You can download a demo from here:
>
> 	http://www.xb2.net/sqlxpp/index.htm
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> PS: I don't get any royalties from either Alaska or Boris.
>
> Andreas

Andreas,

Thank you for that.

I have seen good things said about SQLExpress so we're definitely going to look into that.

Roger Donnay also has a solution (SQLQuery) which I will be exploring too.

I haven't heard much mentioned about the inbuilt SQL handling in Xbase++.  I would guess
it's 'not quite there' at the moment...

PS:  Based on all the help you give others on this newsgroup, you definitely get kudos
from me.

Regan
Rba