Alaska Software Inc. - What Changes To Make To Enable ADS
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: What Changes To Make To Enable ADS
Scott KriseWhat Changes To Make To Enable ADS
on Mon, 11 Dec 2017 16:26:40 -0500
Hello,

I've installed a trial version on ADS database and that’s working, now I
need to make the necessary changes to use it within my app. I don’t see any
specific instructions in Xbase or within anything I used to install the
trial database that gives me instructions on what needs to be done. Can
anyone point me in the right direction to something that will help guide me
through that process?

Thanks,

Scott
Itai Ben-ArtziRe: What Changes To Make To Enable ADS
on Tue, 12 Dec 2017 01:45:14 -0800
You should load the ADSDBE:

DBELoad("ADSDBE",.F.)
DbeSetDefault( "ADSDBE" )
xTemp := "DBE=ADSDBE; SERVER=\\Server\Data\"

DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_TBL_MODE, ADSDBE_CDX)
DbeInfo( COMPONENT_ORDER, ADSDBE_INDEX_EXT, "CDX")
DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_LOCK_MODE, ADSDBE_PROPRIETARY_LOCKING)

DacSession():New(xTemp)
Scott KriseRe: What Changes To Make To Enable ADS
on Tue, 12 Dec 2017 10:21:48 -0500
And must the other dbeloads for the dbf and ntx tables be removed?

Also, I've heard about the ads.ini. How is that used, where does it reside
(client or server side), and what should it contain?

"Itai Ben-Artzi" wrote in message
> You should load the ADSDBE:
>
> DBELoad("ADSDBE",.F.)
> DbeSetDefault( "ADSDBE" )
> xTemp := "DBE=ADSDBE; SERVER=\\Server\Data\"
>
> DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_TBL_MODE, ADSDBE_CDX)
> DbeInfo( COMPONENT_ORDER, ADSDBE_INDEX_EXT, "CDX")
> DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_LOCK_MODE, ADSDBE_PROPRIETARY_LOCKING)
>
> DacSession():New(xTemp)

Jonathan LeemingRe: What Changes To Make To Enable ADS
on Tue, 12 Dec 2017 10:04:51 -0700
On 12/12/2017 8:21 AM, Scott Krise wrote:
> And must the other dbeloads for the dbf and ntx tables be removed?
>
> Also, I've heard about the ads.ini. How is that used, where does it
> reside (client or server side), and what should it contain?
>
> "Itai Ben-Artzi" wrote in message
>> You should load the ADSDBE:
>>
>> DBELoad("ADSDBE",.F.)
>> DbeSetDefault( "ADSDBE" )
>> xTemp := "DBE=ADSDBE; SERVER=\\Server\Data\"
>>
>> DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_TBL_MODE, ADSDBE_CDX)
>> DbeInfo( COMPONENT_ORDER, ADSDBE_INDEX_EXT, "CDX")
>> DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_LOCK_MODE, ADSDBE_PROPRIETARY_LOCKING)
>>
>> DacSession():New(xTemp)

Hi Scott,

Itai's settings are for "Fox style" DBF/CDX.

I was using DBF/NTX with Advantage up until about a month ago... I have
since converted over to using DBF/CDX/FPT for the advantages of the CDX
over NTX and also the smaller memo block size with FPT compared to DBT.

When I was using NTX with Advantage I did not need to specify the
ADSDBE_TBL_MODE nor ADSDBE_INDEX_EXT as it defaulted to the NTX
settings.  However if need be the two lines would be

    DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_TBL_MODE, ADSDBE_NTX)
    DbeInfo( COMPONENT_ORDER, ADSDBE_INDEX_EXT, "NTX")

If you are always going to be accessing your data files with Advantage
then ADSDBE_PROPRIETARY_LOCKING is the way to go however if you also
need to access your data files using some other software that does not
use Advantage then the locking should be

  DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_LOCK_MODE, ADSDBE_COMPATIBLE_LOCKING  )

Since I'm using free tables instead of Advantages Data Dictionary I hvae
the line:

DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_DICTIONARY_DATA, .F. )

As for ADS.INI it is on the client side.  See my posting in this news
group to Itai on December 9th for more info.

Regards... Jonathan
Scott KriseRe: What Changes To Make To Enable ADS
on Thu, 14 Dec 2017 09:48:07 -0500
So I've added the code provided below. I'm getting an error as runtime on
the DBELoad command.
Operating System Error: 126     The specified module could not be found.

Is that something I need to get from Alaska or SAP?

"Jonathan Leeming" wrote in message

On 12/12/2017 8:21 AM, Scott Krise wrote:
> And must the other dbeloads for the dbf and ntx tables be removed?
>
> Also, I've heard about the ads.ini. How is that used, where does it reside
> (client or server side), and what should it contain?
>
> "Itai Ben-Artzi" wrote in message
>> You should load the ADSDBE:
>>
>> DBELoad("ADSDBE",.F.)
>> DbeSetDefault( "ADSDBE" )
>> xTemp := "DBE=ADSDBE; SERVER=\\Server\Data\"
>>
>> DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_TBL_MODE, ADSDBE_CDX)
>> DbeInfo( COMPONENT_ORDER, ADSDBE_INDEX_EXT, "CDX")
>> DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_LOCK_MODE, ADSDBE_PROPRIETARY_LOCKING)
>>
>> DacSession():New(xTemp)

Hi Scott,

Itai's settings are for "Fox style" DBF/CDX.

I was using DBF/NTX with Advantage up until about a month ago... I have
since converted over to using DBF/CDX/FPT for the advantages of the CDX
over NTX and also the smaller memo block size with FPT compared to DBT.

When I was using NTX with Advantage I did not need to specify the
ADSDBE_TBL_MODE nor ADSDBE_INDEX_EXT as it defaulted to the NTX
settings.  However if need be the two lines would be

    DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_TBL_MODE, ADSDBE_NTX)
    DbeInfo( COMPONENT_ORDER, ADSDBE_INDEX_EXT, "NTX")

If you are always going to be accessing your data files with Advantage
then ADSDBE_PROPRIETARY_LOCKING is the way to go however if you also
need to access your data files using some other software that does not
use Advantage then the locking should be

  DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_LOCK_MODE, ADSDBE_COMPATIBLE_LOCKING  )

Since I'm using free tables instead of Advantages Data Dictionary I hvae
the line:

DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_DICTIONARY_DATA, .F. )

As for ADS.INI it is on the client side.  See my posting in this news
group to Itai on December 9th for more info.

Regards... Jonathan
Jonathan LeemingRe: What Changes To Make To Enable ADS
on Thu, 14 Dec 2017 10:01:59 -0700
On 12/14/2017 7:48 AM, Scott Krise wrote:
> So I've added the code provided below. I'm getting an error as runtime
> on the DBELoad command.
> Operating System Error: 126     The specified module could not be found.
>
> Is that something I need to get from Alaska or SAP?
>

> "Jonathan Leeming" wrote in message
>
> On 12/12/2017 8:21 AM, Scott Krise wrote:
>> And must the other dbeloads for the dbf and ntx tables be removed?
>>
>> Also, I've heard about the ads.ini. How is that used, where does it
>> reside (client or server side), and what should it contain?
>>
>> "Itai Ben-Artzi" wrote in message
>>> You should load the ADSDBE:
>>>
>>> DBELoad("ADSDBE",.F.)
>>> DbeSetDefault( "ADSDBE" )
>>> xTemp := "DBE=ADSDBE; SERVER=\\Server\Data\"
>>>
>>> DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_TBL_MODE, ADSDBE_CDX)
>>> DbeInfo( COMPONENT_ORDER, ADSDBE_INDEX_EXT, "CDX")
>>> DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_LOCK_MODE, ADSDBE_PROPRIETARY_LOCKING)
>>>
>>> DacSession():New(xTemp)
>>>

> Hi Scott,
>
> Itai's settings are for "Fox style" DBF/CDX.
>
> I was using DBF/NTX with Advantage up until about a month ago... I have
> since converted over to using DBF/CDX/FPT for the advantages of the CDX
> over NTX and also the smaller memo block size with FPT compared to DBT.
>
> When I was using NTX with Advantage I did not need to specify the
> ADSDBE_TBL_MODE nor ADSDBE_INDEX_EXT as it defaulted to the NTX
> settings.  However if need be the two lines would be
>
>     DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_TBL_MODE, ADSDBE_NTX)
>     DbeInfo( COMPONENT_ORDER, ADSDBE_INDEX_EXT, "NTX")
>
> If you are always going to be accessing your data files with Advantage
> then ADSDBE_PROPRIETARY_LOCKING is the way to go however if you also
> need to access your data files using some other software that does not
> use Advantage then the locking should be
>
>   DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_LOCK_MODE, ADSDBE_COMPATIBLE_LOCKING  )
>
> Since I'm using free tables instead of Advantages Data Dictionary I hvae
> the line:
>
> DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_DICTIONARY_DATA, .F. )
>
> As for ADS.INI it is on the client side.  See my posting in this news
> group to Itai on December 9th for more info.
>
> Regards... Jonathan

Hi,

The Alaska ADS dlls (ADSUTIL.dll & ADSDBE.dll) are included in the
professional subscription.  As mentioned in a previous post do not use
the ACE32.DLL AXCWS32.DLL but rather use the more recent ones from
Advantage.  Also make sure you check out the free Advantage Data
Architect utility.

I believe that there is a trial 2.0 pro version of Xbase++ available so
these these dlls would probably be included in it.

For development purposes I have a free 2 user license that I use
(provided by Advantage) and a 50 user license for the main system.  As
for degradation as more users connect; we do not experience that. As I
understand it, ADS only opens a file once when the first user connects &
opens it with subsequent users using the the same instance from the ADS
perspective.  Of course, within your application you don't have to
handle this, ADS simply uses the same instance if it is already open.

I originally started using Advantage in a Novell environment with
Clipper 5.2e.  ADS improved performance for all users but my big issue
back then was with remote users connecting via Cisco VPN.  Without ADS
it was painfully slow!

The switch from DBF/NTX vs DBF/CDX is not dramatic from a performance
perspective based on my experience.  I have not done any detailed
testing but like the concept of only opening one physical index file for
a DBF that may have 10 index tags.  Also the disk usage is significantly
less both for the memo files as well as the index files.

Another possible benefit is that the FPT memo fields are capable of
storing binary data so one could conceivably store PDF documents, images
or whatever directly in a data record.  While I was at the SW Fox
conference (no I'm not a Fox developer but have attended SW Xbase since
2012 and found that there was enough non-Fox content in the sessions to
justify attending... I also enjoy the conference experience) I discussed
the binary storage option and was advised by "The Experts" to use it
sparingly as memo bloat would be a concern.

Keep in mind that unlike non-ADS Xbase++ where you have to open the CDX
file when using ADSDBE it auto-opens a CDX file with that same name as
the DBF.  I found that if I was recreating an index CDX index file I had
to delete the CDX file before opening the DBF that needed to be indexed.
  Otherwise the system simply recreated the TAGs in the CDX file (since
it was already open) and the CDX file would double in size .

The bottom line is that multiple users do not bog down the application
and disk usage is reduced.  I should mention that the application &
supporting dlls are all run from the clients hard drive.

For local temp files these are handled with "DBFNTX" on the clients
local workstation.  So after I have ADS connected and the ADSDBE set as
my default I have the following lines for DBFNTX:

    IF .NOT. (DbeLoad( "DBFDBE", .T.) .AND.;
       DbeLoad( "NTXDBE",.T.) .AND.;
       DbeBuild( "DBFNTX", "DBFDBE", "NTXDBE" ))
       lDbeSysFail := .T.
    ENDIF

At some point I plan to transition my local temp files to CDX.

Hope this helps,

Regards Jonathan
Jonathan LeemingRe: What Changes To Make To Enable ADS
on Tue, 12 Dec 2017 08:26:16 -0700
On 12/11/2017 2:26 PM, Scott Krise wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've installed a trial version on ADS database and that’s working, now I
> need to make the necessary changes to use it within my app. I don’t see
> any specific instructions in Xbase or within anything I used to install
> the trial database that gives me instructions on what needs to be done.
> Can anyone point me in the right direction to something that will help
> guide me through that process?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott
Hi Scott,

What type of files is your app currently using DBF/DBT/NTX, DBF/FPT/CDX
or something else?

Also I would suggest not using the ace32.dll & axcws32.dll that are
included with the XBase++ install (they date back to 2003) but rather
use the newer ones that would have come directly from Advantage.  Mine
are dated 2015 and on my machine are found in C:\Program Files
(x86)\Advantage 11.10\ARC.

Regards,
Jonathan
Scott KriseRe: What Changes To Make To Enable ADS
on Thu, 14 Dec 2017 09:09:03 -0500
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the information and help on this. I am using DBF/DBT/NTX.

When you switched to ADS I'm the first place from DBF/NTX and then to
DBF/CDX, did you notice any changes in performance? What notable advantages
did you see from any of these changes other than the DBT size you mentioned?
I have a situation where when using the DBF/NTX without ADS, the first
person has very fast response time when using the system, but when the
second and subsequent users log on, the performance take a significant hit.
I'm hoping ADS resolves that for me.

I'm also curious about the cost of ADS license for both me the developer and
the end user. I've contacted 4 or 5 people from SAP who have been forwarding
me others who supposedly can help me, but to this point, I've never heard or
seen a dollar figure for what this upgrade will cost. That makes me a little
nervous! I have to return a call today which should give me the information
I am looking for, but any advice you can give on what to buy and not buy
would be appreciated.

Ill give the code you gave me a try this morning and see how I make out.

Thanks,

Scott

On 12/11/2017 2:26 PM, Scott Krise wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've installed a trial version on ADS database and that’s working, now I
> need to make the necessary changes to use it within my app. I don’t see
> any specific instructions in Xbase or within anything I used to install
> the trial database that gives me instructions on what needs to be done.
> Can anyone point me in the right direction to something that will help
> guide me through that process?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott
Hi Scott,

What type of files is your app currently using DBF/DBT/NTX, DBF/FPT/CDX
or something else?

Also I would suggest not using the ace32.dll & axcws32.dll that are
included with the XBase++ install (they date back to 2003) but rather
use the newer ones that would have come directly from Advantage.  Mine
are dated 2015 and on my machine are found in C:\Program Files
(x86)\Advantage 11.10\ARC.

Regards,
Jonathan
Scott KriseRe: What Changes To Make To Enable ADS
on Thu, 14 Dec 2017 09:29:44 -0500
And do I need to remove all the dbe information regarding my current DBF/NTX
setup and replace them with the new ADS ones or can they coexist?

I'm still trying to get my head around how ADS is going to be involved and
used, but I'm wondering Ill need my current database engines to create local
temp tables when creating reports etc...or will ADS be able to handle that
sort of thing as well?

"Scott Krise"  wrote in message

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the information and help on this. I am using DBF/DBT/NTX.

When you switched to ADS I'm the first place from DBF/NTX and then to
DBF/CDX, did you notice any changes in performance? What notable advantages
did you see from any of these changes other than the DBT size you mentioned?
I have a situation where when using the DBF/NTX without ADS, the first
person has very fast response time when using the system, but when the
second and subsequent users log on, the performance take a significant hit.
I'm hoping ADS resolves that for me.

I'm also curious about the cost of ADS license for both me the developer and
the end user. I've contacted 4 or 5 people from SAP who have been forwarding
me others who supposedly can help me, but to this point, I've never heard or
seen a dollar figure for what this upgrade will cost. That makes me a little
nervous! I have to return a call today which should give me the information
I am looking for, but any advice you can give on what to buy and not buy
would be appreciated.

Ill give the code you gave me a try this morning and see how I make out.

Thanks,

Scott

"Jonathan Leeming" wrote in message

On 12/11/2017 2:26 PM, Scott Krise wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've installed a trial version on ADS database and that’s working, now I
> need to make the necessary changes to use it within my app. I don’t see
> any specific instructions in Xbase or within anything I used to install
> the trial database that gives me instructions on what needs to be done.
> Can anyone point me in the right direction to something that will help
> guide me through that process?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott
Hi Scott,

What type of files is your app currently using DBF/DBT/NTX, DBF/FPT/CDX
or something else?

Also I would suggest not using the ace32.dll & axcws32.dll that are
included with the XBase++ install (they date back to 2003) but rather
use the newer ones that would have come directly from Advantage.  Mine
are dated 2015 and on my machine are found in C:\Program Files
(x86)\Advantage 11.10\ARC.

Regards,
Jonathan
Tim CallahanRe: What Changes To Make To Enable ADS (0/1)
on Tue, 02 Jan 2018 10:24:31 -0800
On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 09:09:03 -0500, "Scott Krise"

In case you are still wondering about the costs:

- There is a free 2 user developer version available

- Here is an email to whom we purchase ADS from - perhaps he can point
you in the right direction. You can mention my name (tim callahan) if
that helps.

Tim Suri
Cloud & Embedded OEM Partnerships
Partner Manager
+1 604-647-8763  |  tim.suri@sap.com

Attached is the latest pricing I have.

HTH,
Tim

 <scottkrise@verizon.net> wrote:

>Hi Jonathan,
>
>Thanks for the information and help on this. I am using DBF/DBT/NTX.
>
>When you switched to ADS I'm the first place from DBF/NTX and then to
>DBF/CDX, did you notice any changes in performance? What notable advantages
>did you see from any of these changes other than the DBT size you mentioned?
>I have a situation where when using the DBF/NTX without ADS, the first
>person has very fast response time when using the system, but when the
>second and subsequent users log on, the performance take a significant hit.
>I'm hoping ADS resolves that for me.
>
>I'm also curious about the cost of ADS license for both me the developer and
>the end user. I've contacted 4 or 5 people from SAP who have been forwarding
>me others who supposedly can help me, but to this point, I've never heard or
>seen a dollar figure for what this upgrade will cost. That makes me a little
>nervous! I have to return a call today which should give me the information
>I am looking for, but any advice you can give on what to buy and not buy
>would be appreciated.
>
>Ill give the code you gave me a try this morning and see how I make out.
>

>Thanks,
>
>Scott
>

>"Jonathan Leeming" wrote in message
>
>On 12/11/2017 2:26 PM, Scott Krise wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've installed a trial version on ADS database and that’s working, now I
>> need to make the necessary changes to use it within my app. I don’t see
>> any specific instructions in Xbase or within anything I used to install
>> the trial database that gives me instructions on what needs to be done.
>> Can anyone point me in the right direction to something that will help
>> guide me through that process?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Scott
>Hi Scott,
>
>What type of files is your app currently using DBF/DBT/NTX, DBF/FPT/CDX
>or something else?
>
>Also I would suggest not using the ace32.dll & axcws32.dll that are
>included with the XBase++ install (they date back to 2003) but rather
>use the newer ones that would have come directly from Advantage.  Mine
>are dated 2015 and on my machine are found in C:\Program Files
>(x86)\Advantage 11.10\ARC.
>
>Regards,
>Jonathan
Tim CallahanRe: What Changes To Make To Enable ADS (1/1)
on Tue, 02 Jan 2018 10:24:32 -0800