Alaska Software Inc. - Windows 10 (1709) SMB1
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Windows 10 (1709) SMB1
Carlos Windows 10 (1709) SMB1
on Sun, 10 Dec 2017 10:42:15 +0000
Hi,

Since Windows Vista to avoid database corruption, in my DBF/NTX apps, at
start i test if registry SMB2 is enabled. If it is enabled i disable it
running the next .reg file.

Memowrit( 'SMB2.REG',;
           'Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00'+CRLF+CRLF+;

'[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters]'+CRLF+;
           '"Smb2" = dword:00000000'+CRLF )

All is fine until Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709). This version
comes with SMB1 not instaled, so because SMB2 is too disabled by my app,
workstations can not access the shared folder in server PC.
The first solution is install and ativate suport for SMB1 but it is not
recomended by Microsoft because security issues.

My question is if it is now possible safely use SMB2/SMB3 with some kind
of configuration in windows registry in order to avoid database corruption.

Thanks
Carlos
Jim LeeRe: Windows 10 (1709) SMB1
on Mon, 11 Dec 2017 00:22:06 +0100
hi,

it is NOT recommend to "disable" SMBx ...

depend on your Windows 10 : it is still NOT disable in 10.16299.98 ( but it
will sooner or later)
try "Powershell Get-SmbServerConfiguration" and you will get

EnableSMB1Protocol : True
EnableSMB2Protocol : True
Carlos Re: Windows 10 (1709) SMB1
on Mon, 11 Dec 2017 09:00:07 +0000
Hi
Maybe smb1 is enabled, but it is not instaled. To install it you have to
go to Install or remove windows features and select in the list.
See the link below

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-windows-10-and-windows-server-version-1709

Às 23:22 de 10/12/2017, Jim Lee escreveu:
> hi,
>
> it is NOT recommend to "disable" SMBx ...
>
> depend on your Windows 10 : it is still NOT disable in 10.16299.98 ( but it
> will sooner or later)
> try "Powershell Get-SmbServerConfiguration" and you will get
>
> EnableSMB1Protocol : True
> EnableSMB2Protocol : True

Jim LeeRe: Windows 10 (1709) SMB1
on Mon, 11 Dec 2017 19:09:53 +0100
> Maybe smb1 is enabled, but it is not instaled. To install it you have to
> go to Install or remove windows features and select in the list. See the
> link below
>
> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-windows-10-and-windows-server-version-1709

"Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional still contain the SMBv1 client
by default after a clean installation. If the SMBv1 client is not used for
15 days in total (excluding the computer being turned off), it automatically
uninstalls itself."

so you have not use you Xbase++ App last 15 Days ?

but neverless it is recommend to use SMB2 with Filebased System.
you know how, or ?
Carlos Re: Windows 10 (1709) SMB1
on Tue, 12 Dec 2017 15:14:50 +0000
Hi,

Alaska said it is enough install SMB2 Workstation Configuration patch on
the client machines with Vista or 7. I continue using a .reg file to do
the job.
When Vista arrives I lost one customer due database corruption, so i
went to an extreme solution runnig fine until now (1709). In those days
some colleagues talked about oplocks too... Now, I almost lost another
because could not share database folder without SMB1 in the server PC.
I test app enabling SMB2 again in an Windows 10 network with four PCs
and no database corruption with heavy traffic. It is much more fast than
legacy smb1.
After test with older OS, i will release new versions.

Best regards,
Carlos

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters

The following registry values are created and set to zero:

FileInfoCacheLifetime
FileNotFoundCacheLifetime
DirectoryCacheLifetime

Às 18:09 de 11/12/2017, Jim Lee escreveu:
>> Maybe smb1 is enabled, but it is not instaled. To install it you have to
>> go to Install or remove windows features and select in the list. See the
>> link below
>>
>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-windows-10-and-windows-server-version-1709
>
> "Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional still contain the SMBv1 client
> by default after a clean installation. If the SMBv1 client is not used for
> 15 days in total (excluding the computer being turned off), it automatically
> uninstalls itself."
>
> so you have not use you Xbase++ App last 15 Days ?
>
> but neverless it is recommend to use SMB2 with Filebased System.
> you know how, or ?

Jim LeeRe: Windows 10 (1709) SMB1
on Tue, 12 Dec 2017 19:18:53 +0100
> Alaska said it is enough install SMB2 Workstation Configuration patch on
> the client machines with Vista or 7. I continue using a .reg file to do
> the job.

so you have no Problem ?
IMHO that Patch have nothing to do with SMB1 (does not disable it or
something else )