Alaska Software Inc. - Delete XPPNAT.DLL file (1.9)
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Delete XPPNAT.DLL file (1.9)
Claudio Driussi Delete XPPNAT.DLL file (1.9)
on Fri, 31 Aug 2018 07:57:29 +0200
I would like to delete the file XPPNAT.DLL, but after have used
my application I can't even if the app is closed.

When I try, I get the message "Unable to delete because the
file is opened in System".

I must to restart the PC, but I can't because I'm in terminal
server an I have many users attached.

There is a way or utility to close the file and then delete it?

And why it remain opened even if not in use?

Many thanks.
Claudio
Anand GuptaRe: Delete XPPNAT.DLL file (1.9)
on Fri, 31 Aug 2018 11:30:27 +0200
Claudio Driussi <claudio.driussi@libero.it> wrote in message
>There is a way or utility to close the file and then delete it?
>
>And why it remain opened even if not in use?
>
>Many thanks.
>Claudio

Why you want to delete a .dll file ? It is not doing any harm even if kept
opened by OS. I am curious.

Regards,

Anand
Claudio Driussi Re: Delete XPPNAT.DLL file (1.9)
on Fri, 31 Aug 2018 11:44:08 +0200
Il 31/08/2018 11:30, Anand Gupta ha scritto:
> Claudio Driussi <claudio.driussi@libero.it> wrote in message
>> There is a way or utility to close the file and then delete it?
>>
>> And why it remain opened even if not in use?
>>
>> Many thanks.
>> Claudio
>
> Why you want to delete a .dll file ? It is not doing any harm even if kept
> opened by OS. I am curious.

Because I'm about to migrate to Xbase++ 2.0 and I have to replace
old DLL's with the new ones.

> Regards,
>
> Anand

Anand GuptaRe: Delete XPPNAT.DLL file (1.9)
on Fri, 31 Aug 2018 15:03:43 +0200
Claudio Driussi <claudio.driussi@libero.it> wrote in message >Because I'm
about to migrate to Xbase++ 2.0 and I have to replace
>old DLL's with the new ones.

To do this type of replacing exe/dll, the best approach is to use 'run at
startup' approach.

Regards,

Anand
Claudio Driussi Re: Delete XPPNAT.DLL file (1.9)
on Fri, 31 Aug 2018 15:50:17 +0200
Il 31/08/2018 15:03, Anand Gupta ha scritto:
> Claudio Driussi <claudio.driussi@libero.it> wrote in message >Because I'm
> about to migrate to Xbase++ 2.0 and I have to replace
>> old DLL's with the new ones.
>
> To do this type of replacing exe/dll, the best approach is to use 'run at
> startup' approach.

Yes but I have to restart the PC and I would like to avoid that.

And I wonder that only that DLL stay locked.

Regards,

> Regards,
>
> Anand

Frits Janse KokRe: Delete XPPNAT.DLL file (1.9)
on Tue, 04 Sep 2018 18:38:10 +0200
Op 31-8-2018 om 15:50 schreef Claudio Driussi:
> Il 31/08/2018 15:03, Anand Gupta ha scritto:
>> Claudio Driussi <claudio.driussi@libero.it> wrote in message >Because I'm
>> about to migrate to Xbase++ 2.0 and I have to replace
>>> old DLL's with the new ones.
>>
>> To do this type of replacing exe/dll, the best approach is to use 'run at
>> startup' approach.
>
> Yes but I have to restart the PC and I would like to avoid that.
>
> And I wonder that only that DLL stay locked.
>
> Regards,
>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Anand

I hope that someone has a solution for this problem.
We also often have this problem when we want to install the new xBase
V2.0 dll's. We use Inno setup to do the installation.
XPPNAT.DLL is the only dll with this problem.

Regards,
Frits

---
Deze e-mail is gecontroleerd op virussen door AVG.
http://www.avg.com
Peter AlderliestenRe: Delete XPPNAT.DLL file (1.9)
on Wed, 05 Sep 2018 13:22:54 +0200
Claudio,

>> To do this type of replacing exe/dll, the best approach is to use 'run at
>> startup' approach.
>
> Yes but I have to restart the PC and I would like to avoid that.
>
> And I wonder that only that DLL stay locked.

This usually happens. The application may release the DLL, but the OS keeps
it in memory, just in case somebody else on the network needs it. It does
release most of the time after a few minutes.
We did two things:
	block make sure nobody else could start the app while waiting to update
	run a loop to check if the DLL is still in use (try renaming or so)

Peter
Claudio Driussi Re: Delete XPPNAT.DLL file (1.9)
on Fri, 07 Sep 2018 08:52:04 +0200
Il 05/09/2018 13:22, Peter Alderliesten ha scritto:
> Claudio,
>
>>> To do this type of replacing exe/dll, the best approach is to use 'run at
>>> startup' approach.
>>
>> Yes but I have to restart the PC and I would like to avoid that.
>>
>> And I wonder that only that DLL stay locked.
>
> This usually happens. The application may release the DLL, but the OS keeps
> it in memory, just in case somebody else on the network needs it. It does
> release most of the time after a few minutes.
> We did two things:
> 	block make sure nobody else could start the app while waiting to update
> 	run a loop to check if the DLL is still in use (try renaming or so)

Peter, this can be an answer.

I will try.
Frits Janse KokRe: Delete XPPNAT.DLL file (1.9)
on Tue, 04 Sep 2018 18:32:11 +0200
Op 31-8-2018 om 07:57 schreef Claudio Driussi:
> I would like to delete the file XPPNAT.DLL, but after have used
> my application I can't even if the app is closed.
>
> When I try, I get the message "Unable to delete because the
> file is opened in System".
>
> I must to restart the PC, but I can't because I'm in terminal
> server an I have many users attached.
>
> There is a way or utility to close the file and then delete it?
>
> And why it remain opened even if not in use?
>
> Many thanks.
> Claudio

I hope that someone has a solution for this problem.
We also often have this problem when we want to install the new xBase
V2.0 dll's. We use Inno setup to do the installation.

Regards,
Frits

---
Deze e-mail is gecontroleerd op virussen door AVG.
http://www.avg.com
Frits Janse KokRe: Delete XPPNAT.DLL file (1.9)
on Tue, 04 Sep 2018 18:39:50 +0200
Op 31-8-2018 om 07:57 schreef Claudio Driussi:
> I would like to delete the file XPPNAT.DLL, but after have used
> my application I can't even if the app is closed.
>
> When I try, I get the message "Unable to delete because the
> file is opened in System".
>
> I must to restart the PC, but I can't because I'm in terminal
> server an I have many users attached.
>
> There is a way or utility to close the file and then delete it?
>
> And why it remain opened even if not in use?
>
> Many thanks.
> Claudio

I hope that someone has a solution for this problem.
We also often have this problem when we want to install the new xBase
V2.0 dll's. We use Inno setup to do the installation.
XPPNAT.DLL is the only dll with this problem.

Regards,
Frits

---
Deze e-mail is gecontroleerd op virussen door AVG.
http://www.avg.com
Jack DuijfRe: Delete XPPNAT.DLL file (1.9)
on Thu, 06 Sep 2018 19:26:21 +0200
Hello,

This is a known issue

http://www.alaska-software.com/scripts/waa001.dll?WAA_PACKAGE=PUBLICDTS&WAA_FORM=DISPLAYPDR&PDRID=5442

Regards
Jack Duijf

Also a member off the XXP (http://www.xxp.nl)
Claudio Driussi Re: Delete XPPNAT.DLL file (1.9)
on Fri, 07 Sep 2018 08:56:00 +0200
Il 06/09/2018 19:26, Jack Duijf ha scritto:

> This is a known issue
>
> http://www.alaska-software.com/scripts/waa001.dll?WAA_PACKAGE=PUBLICDTS&WAA_FORM=DISPLAYPDR&PDRID=5442

I understand, happy to know it.

In the meanwhile, i discovered that the application compiled with
2.0 seems to works even with 1.9 XPPNAT.dll so I can find a workaround.

Thanks
Claudio

> Regards
> Jack Duijf

> Also a member off the XXP (http://www.xxp.nl)

Peter AlderliestenRe: Delete XPPNAT.DLL file (1.9)
on Mon, 17 Sep 2018 15:15:35 +0200
Jack,

> This is a known issue
>
> http://www.alaska-software.com/scripts/waa001.dll?WAA_PACKAGE=PUBLICDTS&WAA_FORM=DISPLAYPDR&PDRID=5442

I see that the PDR has been closed, without any further comment.
The release notes of  Xbase++ 2.00.575 notes this issue as being resolved.
So with the current version of Xbase++ 2.0 this should not be an issue
anymore.

Peter
Claudio Driussi Re: Delete XPPNAT.DLL file (1.9)
on Mon, 17 Sep 2018 19:29:48 +0200
Il 17/09/2018 15:15, Peter Alderliesten wrote:
> Jack,
>
>> This is a known issue
>>
>> http://www.alaska-software.com/scripts/waa001.dll?WAA_PACKAGE=PUBLICDTS&WAA_FORM=DISPLAYPDR&PDRID=5442
>
> I see that the PDR has been closed, without any further comment.
> The release notes of  Xbase++ 2.00.575 notes this issue as being resolved.
> So with the current version of Xbase++ 2.0 this should not be an issue
> anymore.

I hope so, in the meanwhile for my 1.9 applications I must restart
the machine.