Alaska Software Inc. - Adobe ActiveX Documentation
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Adobe ActiveX Documentation
Jonathan LeemingAdobe ActiveX Documentation
on Sat, 20 Jan 2018 16:42:39 -0700
Hi,

I'm looking for some documentation or reference to use when trying to
work with existing PDF documents and Acrord32.exe.  Initially I was just
trying to open & print pdf documents from my application.  I initially
tried using Acrord32.exe with the /t option but needed to print 200+
documents in a set order... the results with RUNSHELL() had a somewhat
random order.  My efforts with ActiveX thus far are:

  cCLSID  := "{CA8A9780-280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000}"

  oPdf := CreateObject(cCLSID)  <-- appears to work

  IF oPDF == NIL
     tdMsg("PDF Not Created")
  ELSEIF VALTYPE(oPDF) == "O"
     tdMsg("PDF Created!!!")
  ELSE
     tdMsg("Not an object")
  ENDIF

I tried various combinations of the following without generating an
error... however did not generate a printout either!

    oPDF:LoadFile(cPath+cFile)

    oPDF:PrintAll()

    oPDF:FilePrintSilent(cPath+cFile)

    oPDF:PrintWithDialog()

I looked at the Adobe SDK documentation but am under the impression is
direct more at working with the full Pro version.

My immediate print issue has been resolved thanks to Scott Krise who
introduced me to ghostprint and ghostscript.

However I'd still like to explore Adobe & ActiveX so if anyone could
point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Rudolf ReinthalerRe: Adobe ActiveX Documentation
on Tue, 23 Jan 2018 10:40:42 +0100
Hello, maybe this can help you
regards
Rudolf

Am 21.01.2018 um 00:42 schrieb Jonathan Leeming:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for some documentation or reference to use when trying to
> work with existing PDF documents and Acrord32.exe.  Initially I was just
> trying to open & print pdf documents from my application.  I initially
> tried using Acrord32.exe with the /t option but needed to print 200+
> documents in a set order... the results with RUNSHELL() had a somewhat
> random order.  My efforts with ActiveX thus far are:
>
>   cCLSID  := "{CA8A9780-280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000}"
>
>   oPdf := CreateObject(cCLSID)  <-- appears to work
>
>   IF oPDF == NIL
>      tdMsg("PDF Not Created")
>   ELSEIF VALTYPE(oPDF) == "O"
>      tdMsg("PDF Created!!!")
>   ELSE
>      tdMsg("Not an object")
>   ENDIF
>
> I tried various combinations of the following without generating an
> error... however did not generate a printout either!
>
>     oPDF:LoadFile(cPath+cFile)
>
>     oPDF:PrintAll()
>
>     oPDF:FilePrintSilent(cPath+cFile)
>
>     oPDF:PrintWithDialog()
>
> I looked at the Adobe SDK documentation but am under the impression is
> direct more at working with the full Pro version.
>
> My immediate print issue has been resolved thanks to Scott Krise who
> introduced me to ghostprint and ghostscript.
>
> However I'd still like to explore Adobe & ActiveX so if anyone could
> point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
>
> Thanks... Jonathan

---

Acrobat.CH
Acrobat.PRG
TAcrobat.prg
Jonathan LeemingRe: Adobe ActiveX Documentation
on Tue, 23 Jan 2018 12:37:43 -0700
On 1/23/2018 2:40 AM, Rudolf Reinthaler wrote:
> Hello, maybe this can help you
> regards
> Rudolf
>
> Am 21.01.2018 um 00:42 schrieb Jonathan Leeming:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking for some documentation or reference to use when trying to
>> work with existing PDF documents and Acrord32.exe.  Initially I was
>> just trying to open & print pdf documents from my application.  I
>> initially tried using Acrord32.exe with the /t option but needed to
>> print 200+ documents in a set order... the results with RUNSHELL() had
>> a somewhat random order.  My efforts with ActiveX thus far are:
>>
>>   cCLSID  := "{CA8A9780-280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000}"
>>
>>   oPdf := CreateObject(cCLSID)  <-- appears to work
>>
>>   IF oPDF == NIL
>>      tdMsg("PDF Not Created")
>>   ELSEIF VALTYPE(oPDF) == "O"
>>      tdMsg("PDF Created!!!")
>>   ELSE
>>      tdMsg("Not an object")
>>   ENDIF
>>
>> I tried various combinations of the following without generating an
>> error... however did not generate a printout either!
>>
>>     oPDF:LoadFile(cPath+cFile)
>>
>>     oPDF:PrintAll()
>>
>>     oPDF:FilePrintSilent(cPath+cFile)
>>
>>     oPDF:PrintWithDialog()
>>
>> I looked at the Adobe SDK documentation but am under the impression is
>> direct more at working with the full Pro version.
>>
>> My immediate print issue has been resolved thanks to Scott Krise who
>> introduced me to ghostprint and ghostscript.
>>
>> However I'd still like to explore Adobe & ActiveX so if anyone could
>> point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
>>
>> Thanks... Jonathan
>>

> ---

Thanks Rudolf,

Although I was hoping for something a little more detailed at least it
gives me an idea of what to try for methods.  I'll try "Googling" some
that look promising.

Out of curiosity I tried going to http://www.jazzagesoft.com but they
appear to have disappeared.

Thanks for your help... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Carlos a Beling Re: Adobe ActiveX Documentation
on Tue, 23 Jan 2018 09:27:57 -0200
Hello Jonathan:
good morning.
If I could understanding your issue I work with PDF files using
https://msdn.microsoft.com/pt-br/library/windows/desktop/bb762153(v=vs.85).aspx
that works fine using the default editor program.
Ie.: ShellExecute(handle, "open", <fully_qualified_path_to_folder>,
NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL)
For writtin reports I write them in graphic mode and send it to a PDF
printer alredy installed.

Fraternally
Beling

Em 20/01/2018 21:42, Jonathan Leeming escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for some documentation or reference to use when trying to
> work with existing PDF documents and Acrord32.exe.  Initially I was just
> trying to open & print pdf documents from my application.  I initially
> tried using Acrord32.exe with the /t option but needed to print 200+
> documents in a set order... the results with RUNSHELL() had a somewhat
> random order.  My efforts with ActiveX thus far are:
>
>   cCLSID  := "{CA8A9780-280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000}"
>
>   oPdf := CreateObject(cCLSID)  <-- appears to work
>
>   IF oPDF == NIL
>      tdMsg("PDF Not Created")
>   ELSEIF VALTYPE(oPDF) == "O"
>      tdMsg("PDF Created!!!")
>   ELSE
>      tdMsg("Not an object")
>   ENDIF
>
> I tried various combinations of the following without generating an
> error... however did not generate a printout either!
>
>     oPDF:LoadFile(cPath+cFile)
>
>     oPDF:PrintAll()
>
>     oPDF:FilePrintSilent(cPath+cFile)
>
>     oPDF:PrintWithDialog()
>
> I looked at the Adobe SDK documentation but am under the impression is
> direct more at working with the full Pro version.
>
> My immediate print issue has been resolved thanks to Scott Krise who
> introduced me to ghostprint and ghostscript.
>
> However I'd still like to explore Adobe & ActiveX so if anyone could
> point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
>
> Thanks... Jonathan

Jonathan LeemingRe: Adobe ActiveX Documentation
on Tue, 23 Jan 2018 12:27:07 -0700
On 1/23/2018 4:27 AM, Carlos a Beling wrote:
> Hello Jonathan:
> good morning.
> If I could understanding your issue I work with PDF files using
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/pt-br/library/windows/desktop/bb762153(v=vs.85).aspx
>
> that works fine using the default editor program.
> Ie.: ShellExecute(handle, "open", <fully_qualified_path_to_folder>,
> NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL)
> For writtin reports I write them in graphic mode and send it to a PDF
> printer alredy installed.
>
> Fraternally
> Beling
>

> Em 20/01/2018 21:42, Jonathan Leeming escreveu:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking for some documentation or reference to use when trying to
>> work with existing PDF documents and Acrord32.exe.  Initially I was just
>> trying to open & print pdf documents from my application.  I initially
>> tried using Acrord32.exe with the /t option but needed to print 200+
>> documents in a set order... the results with RUNSHELL() had a somewhat
>> random order.  My efforts with ActiveX thus far are:
>>
>>   cCLSID  := "{CA8A9780-280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000}"
>>
>>   oPdf := CreateObject(cCLSID)  <-- appears to work
>>
>>   IF oPDF == NIL
>>      tdMsg("PDF Not Created")
>>   ELSEIF VALTYPE(oPDF) == "O"
>>      tdMsg("PDF Created!!!")
>>   ELSE
>>      tdMsg("Not an object")
>>   ENDIF
>>
>> I tried various combinations of the following without generating an
>> error... however did not generate a printout either!
>>
>>     oPDF:LoadFile(cPath+cFile)
>>
>>     oPDF:PrintAll()
>>
>>     oPDF:FilePrintSilent(cPath+cFile)
>>
>>     oPDF:PrintWithDialog()
>>
>> I looked at the Adobe SDK documentation but am under the impression is
>> direct more at working with the full Pro version.
>>
>> My immediate print issue has been resolved thanks to Scott Krise who
>> introduced me to ghostprint and ghostscript.
>>
>> However I'd still like to explore Adobe & ActiveX so if anyone could
>> point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
>>
>> Thanks... Jonathan

Hi and Thanks.
There are 2 things I'm trying to accomplish.

The primary goal was to print be able to print a collection of pdf
documents (usually over 250) in a set order.  I believe that the basic
command to print with Adobe is "acrord32.exe /t SomePDFFile.pdf" however
I need a truly synchronous approach.  From what I have read the
ShellExecute() command is asynchronous.  As a result the order of the
printout is not necessarily the same order in which it is called.  I
tried putting in timing delays but the length of time to successfully
get the correct order was getting ridiculous.

As I mentioned in my earlier post Scott Krise told me about utilities
called ghostprint and ghostscript which have resolved my print problem.

At this point I’m interested in learning how to use ActiveX in
conjunction with Acrord32.exe.  I do use Edgar Borger’ PDF library to
work with PDFs but found a few quirks with printing these documents.  12
documents would print OK, one then appeared to get missed, and then all
the rest of the documents would print in a distorted landscape format.
It appears that somehow a document was interpreted as control codes
causing the change in orientation.  It happened a month prior with a
different batch of documents but I needed a stable solution.

Most of my operations with PDF documents are controlled by my
application with little or no user involvement.  PDFing my reports is
not a problem… the original problem was printing a batch of pdf
documents to a physical printer on paper.

I was just hoping that I could find some document or website that
focused on manipulating PDF documents with ActiveX that I could study.

Thanks Again… Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Jim LeeRe: Adobe ActiveX Documentation
on Tue, 23 Jan 2018 22:58:08 +0100
i use HtmlHelp from M$ to create *.CHM of ActiveX or COM DLL
see Attachment

but don't espect too much ... there are no Information which Interface are
used. it just show Name of Methode and what Parameter Type is need but NO
SAMPLE !

it also contain Constant, which you can generate using
\XPPW32\BIN\Tlb2Ch.exe CLSID > MyInclude.CH

---

i saw Upload by Rudolf. the Acrobat.PRG was generate by JazzAge.
it does show same as my generate CHM but it contain (JazzAge) CLASS Code

i recommend to build your own CLASS with Xbase++ Syntax from JazzAge CLASS
Code

---

about RunShell / ShellExecute

Print
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" /p /h "%1"

PrintTo
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" /t "%1" "%2"
"%3" "%4"

> From what I have read the ShellExecute() command is asynchronous.

ShellExecute(handle, "print", ... )
will give you a RETURN Code
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb762153(v=vs.85).aspx

so you have to wait to get RETURN > 32 before you go on when you want to
have it "modal"

AcroRd32.zip
Jonathan LeemingRe: Adobe ActiveX Documentation
on Sat, 27 Jan 2018 07:58:17 -0700
On 1/23/2018 2:58 PM, Jim Lee wrote:
> i use HtmlHelp from M$ to create *.CHM of ActiveX or COM DLL
> see Attachment
>
> but don't espect too much ... there are no Information which Interface are
> used. it just show Name of Methode and what Parameter Type is need but NO
> SAMPLE !
>
> it also contain Constant, which you can generate using
> \XPPW32\BIN\Tlb2Ch.exe CLSID > MyInclude.CH
>
> ---
>
> i saw Upload by Rudolf. the Acrobat.PRG was generate by JazzAge.
> it does show same as my generate CHM but it contain (JazzAge) CLASS Code
>
> i recommend to build your own CLASS with Xbase++ Syntax from JazzAge CLASS
> Code
>
> ---
>
> about RunShell / ShellExecute
>
> Print
> "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" /p /h "%1"
>
> PrintTo
> "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" /t "%1" "%2"
> "%3" "%4"
>

>>  From what I have read the ShellExecute() command is asynchronous.
>
> ShellExecute(handle, "print", ... )
> will give you a RETURN Code
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb762153(v=vs.85).aspx
>
> so you have to wait to get RETURN > 32 before you go on when you want to
> have it "modal"

Hi Jim and Thanks for the tips... it all helps!

Regards... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Carlos a Beling Re: Adobe ActiveX Documentation
on Wed, 24 Jan 2018 09:47:08 -0200
Hello Jonathan:
I needed to launch, by my own effort, synch application.
As I wanted to learn more about it I tried to use the API
CreateProcessA. As I could not to make the function working I opened a
thread in the Generic NG (Run an App Asynch) where may be you see how to
do this.
The function that I was using is attached and seems to need a little
correction for to work correctly.

Fraternally
Beling

Em 23/01/2018 17:27, Jonathan Leeming escreveu:
> [...]
> conjunction with Acrord32.exe.  I do use Edgar Borger’ PDF library to
> work with PDFs but found a few quirks with printing these documents.  12
> documents would print OK, one then appeared to get missed, and then all
> the rest of the documents would print in a distorted landscape format.
> It appears that somehow a document was interpreted as control codes
> causing the change in orientation.  It happened a month prior with a
> different batch of documents but I needed a stable solution.
>
> Most of my operations with PDF documents are controlled by my
> application with little or no user involvement.  PDFing my reports is
> not a problem… the original problem was printing a batch of pdf
> documents to a physical printer on paper.
>
> I was just hoping that I could find some document or website that
> focused on manipulating PDF documents with ActiveX that I could study.

Run.zip
Carlos a Beling Re: Adobe ActiveX Documentation
on Thu, 25 Jan 2018 12:25:48 -0200
Good afternoon.
Here is a working function.
The application can launch the process synch or asynch without to use
the cmd.exe (but can use it if needed).

Fraternally
Beling

Em 24/01/2018 09:47, Carlos a Beling escreveu:
> Hello Jonathan:
> I needed to launch, by my own effort, synch application.
> As I wanted to learn more about it I tried to use the API
> CreateProcessA. As I could not to make the function working I opened a
> thread in the Generic NG (Run an App Asynch) where may be you see how to
> do this.
> The function that I was using is attached and seems to need a little
> correction for to work correctly.
>
> Fraternally
> Beling
>
> Em 23/01/2018 17:27, Jonathan Leeming escreveu:
>> On 1/23/2018 4:27 AM, Carlos a Beling wrote:
>>> Hello Jonathan:
>>> good morning.
>>> If I could understanding your issue I work with PDF files using
>>> https://msdn.microsoft.com/pt-br/library/windows/desktop/bb762153(v=vs.85).aspx
>>>

>>> that works fine using the default editor program.
>>> Ie.: ShellExecute(handle, "open", <fully_qualified_path_to_folder>,
>>> NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL)
>>> For writtin reports I write them in graphic mode and send it to a PDF
>>> printer alredy installed.
>>>
>>> Fraternally
>>> Beling

>> Hi and Thanks.
>> There are 2 things I'm trying to accomplish.
>>
>> The primary goal was to print be able to print a collection of pdf
>> documents (usually over 250) in a set order.  I believe that the basic
>> command to print with Adobe is "acrord32.exe /t SomePDFFile.pdf" however
>> I need a truly synchronous approach.  From what I have read the
>> ShellExecute() command is asynchronous.  As a result the order of the
>> printout is not necessarily the same order in which it is called.  I
>> tried putting in timing delays but the length of time to successfully
>> get the correct order was getting ridiculous.
>>
>> As I mentioned in my earlier post Scott Krise told me about utilities
>> called ghostprint and ghostscript which have resolved my print problem.
>>
>> At this point I’m interested in learning how to use ActiveX in
>> conjunction with Acrord32.exe.  I do use Edgar Borger’ PDF library to
>> work with PDFs but found a few quirks with printing these documents.  12
>> documents would print OK, one then appeared to get missed, and then all
>> the rest of the documents would print in a distorted landscape format.
>> It appears that somehow a document was interpreted as control codes
>> causing the change in orientation.  It happened a month prior with a
>> different batch of documents but I needed a stable solution.
>>
>> Most of my operations with PDF documents are controlled by my
>> application with little or no user involvement.  PDFing my reports is
>> not a problem… the original problem was printing a batch of pdf
>> documents to a physical printer on paper.
>>
>> I was just hoping that I could find some document or website that
>> focused on manipulating PDF documents with ActiveX that I could study.
>>
>> Thanks Again… Jonathan

Run.zip
Jonathan LeemingRe: Adobe ActiveX Documentation
on Sat, 27 Jan 2018 07:56:10 -0700
On 1/25/2018 7:25 AM, Carlos a Beling wrote:
> Good afternoon.
> Here is a working function.
> The application can launch the process synch or asynch without to use
> the cmd.exe (but can use it if needed).
>
> Fraternally
> Beling
>

> Em 24/01/2018 09:47, Carlos a Beling escreveu:
>> Hello Jonathan:
>> I needed to launch, by my own effort, synch application.
>> As I wanted to learn more about it I tried to use the API
>> CreateProcessA. As I could not to make the function working I opened a
>> thread in the Generic NG (Run an App Asynch) where may be you see how to
>> do this.
>> The function that I was using is attached and seems to need a little
>> correction for to work correctly.
>>
>> Fraternally
>> Beling

>>> Hi and Thanks.
>>> There are 2 things I'm trying to accomplish.
>>>
>>> The primary goal was to print be able to print a collection of pdf
>>> documents (usually over 250) in a set order.  I believe that the basic
>>> command to print with Adobe is "acrord32.exe /t SomePDFFile.pdf" however
>>> I need a truly synchronous approach.  From what I have read the
>>> ShellExecute() command is asynchronous.  As a result the order of the
>>> printout is not necessarily the same order in which it is called.  I
>>> tried putting in timing delays but the length of time to successfully
>>> get the correct order was getting ridiculous.
>>>
>>> As I mentioned in my earlier post Scott Krise told me about utilities
>>> called ghostprint and ghostscript which have resolved my print problem.
>>>
>>> At this point I’m interested in learning how to use ActiveX in
>>> conjunction with Acrord32.exe.  I do use Edgar Borger’ PDF library to
>>> work with PDFs but found a few quirks with printing these documents.  12
>>> documents would print OK, one then appeared to get missed, and then all
>>> the rest of the documents would print in a distorted landscape format.
>>> It appears that somehow a document was interpreted as control codes
>>> causing the change in orientation.  It happened a month prior with a
>>> different batch of documents but I needed a stable solution.
>>>
>>> Most of my operations with PDF documents are controlled by my
>>> application with little or no user involvement.  PDFing my reports is
>>> not a problem… the original problem was printing a batch of pdf
>>> documents to a physical printer on paper.
>>>
>>> I was just hoping that I could find some document or website that
>>> focused on manipulating PDF documents with ActiveX that I could study.
>>>
>>> Thanks Again… Jonathan

Hi Beling,;

Thanks for sharing your function I'll give it a try... study your code
and, with the help of Google, translate your comments.  Perhaps I will
learn something!

Thank You Very Much... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Carlos a Beling Re: Adobe ActiveX Documentation
on Mon, 29 Jan 2018 15:08:43 -0200
Hello:
good afternoon.
It works too like RunShell() without to use CMD.exe
Sorry by the comments in  portuguese.

Fraternally
Beling