Alaska Software Inc. - End of SMB1 - does DBF sharing will work without it ?
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: End of SMB1 - does DBF sharing will work without it ?
Hubert BrandelEnd of SMB1 - does DBF sharing will work without it ?
on Fri, 15 Jun 2018 15:00:45 +0200
Hi,

we was told to disable SMB1 because of seruritiy issues.
But after the test nothing works again.

Is it possible to share normal files without SMB1 ?
Is it possible to use Xbase++ DBF file sharing without SMB1 ?

Is this the end of shared files and a must go to SQL Server ?

Regards,
Hubert
Jim LeeRe: End of SMB1 - does DBF sharing will work without it ?
on Sat, 16 Jun 2018 00:15:21 +0200
SMB depends on OS so if you have a old NAS or Printer with SMB1 you might
get no Connection with Windows 10

as SMB1 is used by "Computer Search Service" so Explorer might no other PC
under Network
also other Services might be disable while Windows 10 will disable it when
not access SMB1 within 15 Days

[url]https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-by-default-in-windows[/url]

[quote]Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional still contain the SMBv1
client by default after a clean installation.
If the SMBv1 client is not used for 15 days in total (excluding the computer
being turned off), it automatically uninstalls itself.
In-place upgrades and Insider flights of Windows 10 Home and Windows 10
Professional do not automatically remove SMB1 initially.
If the SMBv1 client or server is not used for 15 days in total (excluding
the time during which the computer is off), they each automatically
uninstall themselves.[/quote]

while SMB1 is supersede by SMB2/3 share Files and Locking/Unlocking Byte
Ranges in Files work.

if you still have Problem with your App you can try :

1.) there is NO Drive Letter any more. use shared Folder for it
2.) use UNC-PATH for Folder. UNC-Path can use IP
3.) use a Static IP for each Workstation instead of DHCP
4.) as "Public" Netzwork have dynamic IP, change it to "Privat" Network

now you should be able using IP to attach a Folder and access DBF Files.
Matej JuracRe: End of SMB1 - does DBF sharing will work without it ?
on Mon, 18 Jun 2018 12:35:22 +0200
Also good to know:

If you run any .exe from old SMB1 type share Windows 10 OS (current release
1803) will actively prevent that exe from making TCP/IP connection outside,
per example to MySQL, Postgres, Oracle servers, SOAP servers, etc.

On the other side, SMB2 file servers should be just fine.