Alaska Software Inc. - Getting error 87 after installing on Windows Xp
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Getting error 87 after installing on Windows Xp
Alain DuHamelGetting error 87 after installing on Windows Xp
on Fri, 13 Jul 2007 11:38:02 -0400
Hello folks.

I just transfered my Xbase 1.6 on a new pc that is under XP.

Since then I keep getting "@C:\temp\07123217.tmp returned  error 87"
message.

I already verified couples of things like :
Path, Lib, Xppresources, includes are all ok,
I have admin right on the pc.
I tried switching the temp folder so it is on the same drive as the sources.
I added the -p to the pbuild command.
I tried copying the Xp folder from old pc and just create the path and all
directly.
Tried installing from the CD

After that I still get the message.  I am pretty sure that the problem is
that the pbuild dont manage to create the output files, but cant see what is
preventing it from doing so.

Any help on this problem would be greatly welcome.

Alain

PS: The new pc is a P4 3.2 Intel dual Core processor with 2Go ram. Also have
Vista installed has secondary explotation system. It is on boot  strap so I
can start Xp or Vista.  Xp was installed first then Vista. The Boot start is
setted to start Xp by default.

As my old system was also on Xp
James Loughner Re: Getting error 87 after installing on Windows Xp
on Fri, 13 Jul 2007 18:20:31 -0400
If you just copied the files ie did not use an install CD then the
problem is in one of the environmental variables.

I remember having a similar problem long ago but don't remember the
exact solution.

Jim

Alain DuHamel wrote:
> Hello folks.
>
> I just transfered my Xbase 1.6 on a new pc that is under XP.
>
> Since then I keep getting "@C:\temp\07123217.tmp returned  error 87"
> message.
>
> I already verified couples of things like :
> Path, Lib, Xppresources, includes are all ok,
> I have admin right on the pc.
> I tried switching the temp folder so it is on the same drive as the sources.
> I added the -p to the pbuild command.
> I tried copying the Xp folder from old pc and just create the path and all
> directly.
> Tried installing from the CD
>
> After that I still get the message.  I am pretty sure that the problem is
> that the pbuild dont manage to create the output files, but cant see what is
> preventing it from doing so.
>
> Any help on this problem would be greatly welcome.
>
> Alain
>
> PS: The new pc is a P4 3.2 Intel dual Core processor with 2Go ram. Also have
> Vista installed has secondary explotation system. It is on boot  strap so I
> can start Xp or Vista.  Xp was installed first then Vista. The Boot start is
> setted to start Xp by default.
>
> As my old system was also on Xp

Mark Sergent Re: Getting error 87 after installing on Windows Xp
on Fri, 13 Jul 2007 16:34:20 -0700
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 11:38:02 -0400, Alain DuHamel wrote:

> Hello folks.
>
> I just transfered my Xbase 1.6 on a new pc that is under XP.
>
> Since then I keep getting "@C:\temp\07123217.tmp returned  error 87"
> message.
>
> I already verified couples of things like :
> Path, Lib, Xppresources, includes are all ok,
> I have admin right on the pc.
> I tried switching the temp folder so it is on the same drive as the sources.
> I added the -p to the pbuild command.
> I tried copying the Xp folder from old pc and just create the path and all
> directly.
> Tried installing from the CD
>
> After that I still get the message.  I am pretty sure that the problem is
> that the pbuild dont manage to create the output files, but cant see what is
> preventing it from doing so.
>
> Any help on this problem would be greatly welcome.
>
> Alain
>
> PS: The new pc is a P4 3.2 Intel dual Core processor with 2Go ram. Also have
> Vista installed has secondary explotation system. It is on boot  strap so I
> can start Xp or Vista.  Xp was installed first then Vista. The Boot start is
> setted to start Xp by default.
>
> As my old system was also on Xp

I had the same problem with 1.6 when i upgraded my machine a few years ago.

If I Recall, Alaska told me it was a problem with the size of the windows
swap file???? because of the large amount of memory you now have installed.
I currently have a project that runs in 1.6 that i cant compile either. I
setup a virtual machine in VMWare that only gets allocated 512 meg of ram
for compiling the 1.6 project and it works fine, or i compile it on my
older machine.

I recall that i tried to decrease the size of the windows swap file but
could never get it going and dont quite remember the details.

You might want to check with Alaska to see if there is a solution.

Mark Sergent
InnSource Solutions Inc.
www.innsourcesolutions.com
mark@innsourcesolutions.com
Alain DuHamelRe: Getting error 87 after installing on Windows Xp
on Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:52:47 -0400
As you suggested I tried removing some of the Ram to drop it to 512Mo
instead of 2Go via the boot.in of the msConfig. I also tried to phisicly
remove ram from the pc to drop it back to 512.

Neither of that worked.  So I still stuck at same point.

I will try download the VMWare and see if it can resolve it.

Thanks for the information you provided me. Will keep you post on if I can
make it work thru VM.

Alain DuHamel

"Mark Sergent" <mark@innsourcesolutions.com> a crit dans le message de
news: ipm13r4ddjhr$.1149uv5137kz.dlg@40tude.net...
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 11:38:02 -0400, Alain DuHamel wrote:
>
>> Hello folks.
>>
>> I just transfered my Xbase 1.6 on a new pc that is under XP.
>>
>> Since then I keep getting "@C:\temp\07123217.tmp returned  error 87"
>> message.
>>
>> I already verified couples of things like :
>> Path, Lib, Xppresources, includes are all ok,
>> I have admin right on the pc.
>> I tried switching the temp folder so it is on the same drive as the
>> sources.
>> I added the -p to the pbuild command.
>> I tried copying the Xp folder from old pc and just create the path and
>> all
>> directly.
>> Tried installing from the CD
>>
>> After that I still get the message.  I am pretty sure that the problem is
>> that the pbuild dont manage to create the output files, but cant see what
>> is
>> preventing it from doing so.
>>
>> Any help on this problem would be greatly welcome.
>>
>> Alain
>>
>> PS: The new pc is a P4 3.2 Intel dual Core processor with 2Go ram. Also
>> have
>> Vista installed has secondary explotation system. It is on boot  strap so
>> can start Xp or Vista.  Xp was installed first then Vista. The Boot start
>> is
>> setted to start Xp by default.
>>
>> As my old system was also on Xp
>
> I had the same problem with 1.6 when i upgraded my machine a few years
> ago.
>
> If I Recall, Alaska told me it was a problem with the size of the windows
> swap file???? because of the large amount of memory you now have
> installed.
> I currently have a project that runs in 1.6 that i cant compile either. I
> setup a virtual machine in VMWare that only gets allocated 512 meg of ram
> for compiling the 1.6 project and it works fine, or i compile it on my
> older machine.
>
> I recall that i tried to decrease the size of the windows swap file but
> could never get it going and dont quite remember the details.
>
> You might want to check with Alaska to see if there is a solution.
>
> --
> Mark Sergent
> InnSource Solutions Inc.
> www.innsourcesolutions.com
> mark@innsourcesolutions.com
James Loughner Re: Getting error 87 after installing on Windows Xp
on Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:29:39 -0400
I don't think it the amount of RAM but the size of the Windows swap. try
decreasing the windows swap size.

Jim

Alain DuHamel wrote:
> [...]
>> swap file???? because of the large amount of memory you now have
>> installed.
>> I currently have a project that runs in 1.6 that i cant compile either. I
>> setup a virtual machine in VMWare that only gets allocated 512 meg of ram
>> for compiling the 1.6 project and it works fine, or i compile it on my
>> older machine.
>>
>> I recall that i tried to decrease the size of the windows swap file but
>> could never get it going and dont quite remember the details.
>>
>> You might want to check with Alaska to see if there is a solution.
>>
>> --
>> Mark Sergent
>> InnSource Solutions Inc.
>> www.innsourcesolutions.com
>> mark@innsourcesolutions.com

Alain DuHamelRe: Getting error 87 after installing on Windows Xp
on Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:05:41 -0400
I installed VmWare and it did the trick. Thanks for the help.

Alain DuHamel

>I don't think it the amount of RAM but the size of the Windows swap. try
> decreasing the windows swap size.
>
> Jim
>
> Alain DuHamel wrote:
>> As you suggested I tried removing some of the Ram to drop it to 512Mo
>> instead of 2Go via the boot.in of the msConfig. I also tried to phisicly
>> remove ram from the pc to drop it back to 512.
>>
>> Neither of that worked.  So I still stuck at same point.
>>
>> I will try download the VMWare and see if it can resolve it.
>>
>> Thanks for the information you provided me. Will keep you post on if I
>> can
>> make it work thru VM.
>>
>> Alain DuHamel
>>
>> "Mark Sergent" <mark@innsourcesolutions.com> a crit dans le message de
>> news: ipm13r4ddjhr$.1149uv5137kz.dlg@40tude.net...

>>> I had the same problem with 1.6 when i upgraded my machine a few years
>>> ago.
>>>
>>> If I Recall, Alaska told me it was a problem with the size of the
>>> windows
>>> swap file???? because of the large amount of memory you now have
>>> installed.
>>> I currently have a project that runs in 1.6 that i cant compile either.
>>> setup a virtual machine in VMWare that only gets allocated 512 meg of
>>> ram
>>> for compiling the 1.6 project and it works fine, or i compile it on my
>>> older machine.
>>>
>>> I recall that i tried to decrease the size of the windows swap file but
>>> could never get it going and dont quite remember the details.
>>>
>>> You might want to check with Alaska to see if there is a solution.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mark Sergent
>>> InnSource Solutions Inc.
>>> www.innsourcesolutions.com
>>> mark@innsourcesolutions.com

AUGE_OHRRe: Getting error 87 after installing on Windows Xp
on Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:38:22 +0200
hi,

> Since then I keep getting "@C:\temp\07123217.tmp returned  error 87"
> message.
>
> I tried copying the Xp folder from old pc and just create the path and all
> directly.

i dont know, but did you try to copy your Source into C:\temp and try
to compile/link in in C:\temp itself ?

greetings by OHR
Jimmy