Alaska Software Inc. - WAA and port 1024
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: WAA and port 1024
MichaelWAA and port 1024
on Thu, 27 Aug 2009 15:43:10 -0400
I am trying to get WAA to run normally, but when I use the default port
1024, I get the "socket not listening" error.

I've tried to change the port in the Start WAA.BAT file and also in the
WAA1GATE.CFG file, which it then loads WAA and it appears to be okay, but
when I then try to run a WAA process on my server, it tries to download the
WAA1GATE.EXE file.  I get the following message:

You have chosen to open

waa1gate.exe
which is a: Binary File
from: _______________

Would you like to save this file?

How do I fix this?  I'd really like it to run on the default port 1024.  How
do I find out what is using that port?

I tried NETSTAT -A but it doesn't say what is using it.

If I cannot use 1024, how do I get rid of the download message when using
port 1025?
Lennart MrliRe: WAA and port 1024
on Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:54:02 +0200
Hi
it tries to download...
Maybe if you set the cgi-bin folder with rights for running program files.
Lennart

"Michael" <noone@nowhere.com> skrev i melding
>I am trying to get WAA to run normally, but when I use the default port
> 1024, I get the "socket not listening" error.
>
> I've tried to change the port in the Start WAA.BAT file and also in the
> WAA1GATE.CFG file, which it then loads WAA and it appears to be okay, but
> when I then try to run a WAA process on my server, it tries to download
> the
> WAA1GATE.EXE file.  I get the following message:

> You have chosen to open
>
> waa1gate.exe
> which is a: Binary File
> from: _______________
>
> Would you like to save this file?
>
> How do I fix this?  I'd really like it to run on the default port 1024.
> How
> do I find out what is using that port?
>
> I tried NETSTAT -A but it doesn't say what is using it.
>
> If I cannot use 1024, how do I get rid of the download message when using
> port 1025?

Thomas Braun
Re: WAA and port 1024
on Fri, 28 Aug 2009 10:28:09 +0200
Michael wrote:

> I've tried to change the port in the Start WAA.BAT file and also in the
> WAA1GATE.CFG file, which it then loads WAA and it appears to be okay, but
> when I then try to run a WAA process on my server, it tries to download the
> WAA1GATE.EXE file.

This is a server misconfiguration, which webserver are you using?

Please also give as many additional informatin as possible (e.g.
configuration files...etc)

> How do I fix this?  I'd really like it to run on the default port 1024.

Why?

> How do I find out what is using that port?

www.sysinternals.com -> TCPView

regards
Thomas
MichaelRe: WAA and port 1024
on Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:07:30 -0400
I am using IIS, Windows XP and WAA 1.90.

Before I was able to run it on the standard port 1024, but something is
using that port via NETSTAT -A, but I am not sure what.

If I go into IIS Control Panel, select the Home Directory tab, I have the
"Scripts Source Access," and "Read" capabilities checked, and in the Execute
Permissions I have it set to "Scripts and Executables."

I just tried putting it back to port 1024 now, and WAA is loading now, and
my DLL is loaded and no errors, but when I try to run WAA1GATE.EXE, it shows
this error.  And the WAA1GATE.EXE and *.CFG are in my \INETPUT\WWWROOT
folder, and everything else on my web site works, just not WAA.

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed,
or is temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:

  a.. If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is
spelled correctly.

  b.. Open the ____________ home page, and then look for links to the
information you want.
  c.. Click the _____ button to try another link.
HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Information Services

"Thomas Braun" <spam@software-braun.de> wrote in message
> Michael wrote:
>
>> I've tried to change the port in the Start WAA.BAT file and also in the
>> WAA1GATE.CFG file, which it then loads WAA and it appears to be okay, but
>> when I then try to run a WAA process on my server, it tries to download
>> the
>> WAA1GATE.EXE file.
>
> This is a server misconfiguration, which webserver are you using?
>
> Please also give as many additional informatin as possible (e.g.
> configuration files...etc)
>
>> How do I fix this?  I'd really like it to run on the default port 1024.
>
> Why?
>
>> How do I find out what is using that port?
>
> www.sysinternals.com -> TCPView
>
> regards
> Thomas
Bruce AndersonRe: WAA and port 1024
on Mon, 31 Aug 2009 09:01:23 -0500
Consider using WAA1GATE.ISA instead of WAA1GATE.EXE.  I think this is a much
cleaner approach to using WAA with IIS.

In IIS, under Web Service Extensions, Add a new Web Service extension.  Mine
is c:\inetpub\wwwroot\cgi-bin\waa1gate.isa.

Under each website virtual hosting your create, you will add a virtual
directory "cgi-bin".  Point this to the physical directory
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\cgi-bin.  Give this virtual directory Execute Permissions
Scripts and Executables.  Your multiple web hostings will each have a
virtual cgi-bin, and each one will point to the same physical directory.

In c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\waa1gate.cfg
PORT = 1024

In WAA1SRV.CFG
addpkg = c:\<my path>\MYDLL

In StartWAA1.bat
SET WAA_PORT=1024

Your webpage html coding will have this form
<form name="myForm" id="myForm" onsubmit="<your value>"
ACTION="/cgi-bin/waa1gate.isa" METHOD=POST>

This is the form your URL can take
http://mysite.com/cgi-bin/waa1gate.isa?WAA_PACKAGE=MYDLL&WAA_FORM=MYFUNC

I think that is all of it.
Thomas Braun
Re: WAA and port 1024
on Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:16:24 +0200
Michael wrote:

> I just tried putting it back to port 1024 now, and WAA is loading now, and
> my DLL is loaded and no errors, but when I try to run WAA1GATE.EXE, it shows
> this error.  And the WAA1GATE.EXE and *.CFG are in my \INETPUT\WWWROOT
> folder, and everything else on my web site works, just not WAA.
>
> The page cannot be found
> The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed,
> or is temporarily unavailable.

This is most likely an access rights or server (mis)configuration issue -
but since I don't use IIS (but Apache), I'm sorry that I can't help you...
MichaelRe: WAA and port 1024
on Mon, 14 Sep 2009 04:45:24 -0400
I figured it out.  I installed the IISLOCKD.EXE program, and that was
apparently causing problems.

After I removed it, everything worked without further changes.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

"Michael" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to get WAA to run normally, but when I use the default port
> 1024, I get the "socket not listening" error.
>
> I've tried to change the port in the Start WAA.BAT file and also in the
> WAA1GATE.CFG file, which it then loads WAA and it appears to be okay, but
> when I then try to run a WAA process on my server, it tries to download
> the
> WAA1GATE.EXE file.  I get the following message:

> You have chosen to open
>
> waa1gate.exe
> which is a: Binary File
> from: _______________
>
> Would you like to save this file?
>
> How do I fix this?  I'd really like it to run on the default port 1024.
> How
> do I find out what is using that port?
>
> I tried NETSTAT -A but it doesn't say what is using it.
>
> If I cannot use 1024, how do I get rid of the download message when using
> port 1025?

Thomas Braun
Re: WAA and port 1024
on Mon, 14 Sep 2009 15:59:32 +0200
Michael wrote:

> I figured it out.  I installed the IISLOCKD.EXE program, and that was
> apparently causing problems.
>
> After I removed it, everything worked without further changes.

I would say that removing what the lockdown tool did is not the correct
solution - at least not for a public server because this increases the
attack surface available for an attacker...

The better alternative would be to fully undetstand what the lockdown tool
did and remove only that part of it which causes the problem.

regards
Thomas
MichaelRe: WAA and port 1024
on Tue, 15 Sep 2009 10:47:10 -0400
I agree, and now that I know what caused it, I am working on putting it
back, so it works as it should without blocking anything.