Alaska Software Inc. - FoxDbe & Encryption
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: FoxDbe & Encryption
Kevin ThomasFoxDbe & Encryption
on Fri, 30 Dec 2016 22:36:05 -0500
I currently using DBFDBE and I am planning on switching to FoxDBE since it
allows the ability the encrypt the file at the table level.  I know that I
need to have the professional subscription.
I am using the DBF and Fox file because it easy maintain.

I basically have two questions.

1st Question:

The reason why I want to encrypt the files is because two of the files has
SSN.    The SSN and the name are field that are being indexed.   I know that
the DBF file can be encrypted but I do not think that the index file will be
encrypted.   It seems like if I do not encrypted the data that is in the
index file, it would seem like a person could some how figure out backing
into the  name and the related SSN by using the record number.   Am I
overthinking this?

What would I have to do do over come this issue (assuming that this is
really is an issue?)

2nd Question.

As I mentioned above I am currently using dbf file.  I have an very old copy
of dbase III+ which is allowing me to view the dbase file.    Once I convert
the file to Foxbase, I will no longer be able to view the and manipulate the
file.   What programs can I used to view the Fox file?  I do not know that I
would not be able to view the file that has been encrypted.   This is not an
major issues since I am only planning on encrypting the files that has
confidential information.

Thanks
Kevin
Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Re: FoxDbe & Encryption
on Sat, 31 Dec 2016 04:39:27 -0500
Kevin,

>The reason why I want to encrypt the files is because two of the files has
>SSN. The SSN and the name are field that are being indexed.

You could just encrypt the SSN value and save the encrypted value in the SSN
field. This would also work with standard DBF files (DBFDBE) and would also
remove the SSN (clear-text) values from the Index files. I'm also not sure
how reliable it is to use FOXDBE-encrypted database files, specifically with
regard to index and data corruptions, so I wouldn't use them in production
environments myself.

>As I mentioned above I am currently using dbf file. I have an very old copy
>of dbase III+ which is allowing me to view the dbase file.
>What programs can I used to view the Fox file?

There are several options. The simplest is to re-compile (the Clipper) DBU
program with Xbase++ and use the DBEs that you would like to use, or add a
feature to select different DBEs.

Another, more sophisticated option, is to use Clayton Jones xDBU, which is
available for download from the Top Down repository, hosted by Alaska. See
the public.topdown news group for details on downloading it.

There also some commercial tools available.

Hope that helps,

Andreas

Andreas Gehrs-Pahl
Absolute Software, LLC

phone: (989) 723-9927
email: Andreas@AbsoluteSoftwareLLC.com
web:   http://www.AbsoluteSoftwareLLC.com
[F]:   https://www.facebook.com/AbsoluteSoftwareLLC
Kevin ThomasRe: FoxDbe & Encryption
on Sun, 01 Jan 2017 14:23:28 -0500
I do not have much choice about encrypting the data file since it is being
mandated.    Thus, I would be interested in hearing other people experiences
with regards to the encryption in the Fox files.

I do like your suggestion about the encryption the SSN field.   Thus, I
lending toward encrypting the data file as well as the SSN field it self.

"Kevin Thomas" wrote in message

[...]

Carlos a Beling Re: FoxDbe & Encryption
on Tue, 03 Jan 2017 16:16:21 -0200
Hello Kevin.
May be you want to test to use Bin2Base64(cEntryField) function for to
encryp the SSN entry and to use Base642Bin((Alais)->ssn) for indexing
and seekkin the data base.

Fraternally
Beling