Alaska Software Inc. - Worker threads
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Worker threads
Allen Lee Worker threads
on Sat, 30 Apr 2016 09:56:41 -0700
Hi everyone:

Re: WAA 1.90.331
There are five questions posed which are not covered in the
documentation and not covered elsewhere in the forum.
Any response would be appreciated.

1. What is the maximum number of worker threads?
2. What are the limits on worker threads?
3. What are the issues with a higher number of worker threads (say, over
200)?
4. Do the limits take into account the increased performance of modern
CPUs and disks?
5. What are other organizations using as a maximum number of worker threads?
James LoughnerRe: Worker threads
on Sat, 30 Apr 2016 14:11:22 -0400
Thread limits are OS specific and depend on threads running in other
apps. AFAIK there  are no internal limits on threads in Xbase++ but your
OS can run out of them due to exhaustion of OS threads. Personally never
reached the limits

Jim

On 04/30/2016 12:56 PM, Allen Lee wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> Re: WAA 1.90.331
> There are five questions posed which are not covered in the
> documentation and not covered elsewhere in the forum.
> Any response would be appreciated.
>
> 1. What is the maximum number of worker threads?
> 2. What are the limits on worker threads?
> 3. What are the issues with a higher number of worker threads (say, over
> 200)?
> 4. Do the limits take into account the increased performance of modern
> CPUs and disks?
> 5. What are other organizations using as a maximum number of worker
> threads?
Thomas BraunRe: Worker threads
on Mon, 02 May 2016 17:37:51 +0200
Allen Lee wrote:

> 1. What is the maximum number of worker threads?
> 2. What are the limits on worker threads?
> 3. What are the issues with a higher number of worker threads (say, over
> 200)?
> 4. Do the limits take into account the increased performance of modern
> CPUs and disks?
> 5. What are other organizations using as a maximum number of worker threads?

You could (or should) probably do some kind of load stress test to find out
the impact of higher worker thread settings.

There are loads of tools on the internet, both free and paid... maybe
http://jmeter.apache.org/ is a good starting point as it is free

I also found this
http://www.devcurry.com/2010/07/10-free-tools-to-loadstress-test-your.html
which is a bit older...

best
Thomas
Allen Lee Re: Worker threads
on Mon, 02 May 2016 11:19:29 -0700
Wow, those tools look exciting.
I'm going to give then a try, thank you.

On 5/2/2016 8:37 AM, Thomas Braun wrote:
> Allen Lee wrote:
>
>> 1. What is the maximum number of worker threads?
>> 2. What are the limits on worker threads?
>> 3. What are the issues with a higher number of worker threads (say, over
>> 200)?
>> 4. Do the limits take into account the increased performance of modern
>> CPUs and disks?
>> 5. What are other organizations using as a maximum number of worker threads?
>
> You could (or should) probably do some kind of load stress test to find out
> the impact of higher worker thread settings.
>
> There are loads of tools on the internet, both free and paid... maybe
> http://jmeter.apache.org/ is a good starting point as it is free
>
> I also found this
> http://www.devcurry.com/2010/07/10-free-tools-to-loadstress-test-your.html
> which is a bit older...
>
> best
> Thomas

Matej JuracRe: Worker threads
on Tue, 03 May 2016 08:54:36 +0200
How is with WAA and known limitation of xBase++ that per default uses only CPU
0 (first one), even on multi-core system?

In ordinary apps it is circumented with logic to select random core in system,
but how about with WAA ?