Alaska Software Inc. - Printing Problem
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Printing Problem
Joe Carrick Printing Problem
on Mon, 02 Aug 2010 09:49:49 -0700
I'm having trouble with printing to a shared network printer.

The printer is a "Panasonic DP-C322 Color" unit.  In almost all cases my
print routines are properly printed on this unit.  However, in a few
cases (using the same setup for the Printer and Presentation Space) the
result is either nothing printed or the following printed:

PCL XL Error
	Subsystem:	USERSTREAM
	Error:		MissingData
	Operator:	OpenDataSource
	Position:	2

The same reports always print correctly when sent to any other printer
on the network (almost all of which are HP Deskjet or Canon Inkjet Printers)

I really can't understand why this is happening.  I have several print
routines that always work - even on this printer - but a few of them
don't.  As I said, the routine for selecting the printer and setting up
the Presentation Space is identical.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Joe
Pascal BoivinRe: Printing Problem
on Mon, 09 Aug 2010 08:54:54 -0400
I have seen this error in 2 situations:

- When sending a bitmap bigger than the printer memory
- Defective ethernet adapter in the printer

The Panasonic C322 have at least 256Mb of memory, so it surely doesn't
run out of memory.

With a HP 4200 and a defective ethernet adapter, I was able to print
small job (ex Windows Test Page) but it keep failing when I send
graphics to it.

I hope this help you a little...
Thomas Braun
Re: Printing Problem
on Mon, 09 Aug 2010 16:25:59 +0200
Joe Carrick wrote:

> PCL XL Error
> 	Subsystem:	USERSTREAM
> 	Error:		MissingData
> 	Operator:	OpenDataSource
> 	Position:	2

Ahhh - the infamous PCX XL Error

I have only seens this rarely with HP printers and some Word / Excel
documents.

Fiddling around with page setup settings in the documents normally cured
this.

First of all I would try to change (update or even "downdate") printer
drivers.

Next step would be to change driver settings like resolution.

Thomas