Alaska Software Inc. - Why Excel always request save File for xls and not for xlsx?
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Why Excel always request save File for xls and not for xlsx?
César Calvo Why Excel always request save File for xls and not for xlsx?
on Sun, 05 May 2019 01:23:30 +0200
Hello.
I make an excel xls file with LibXL and always after this operation I open
the xls file, then I try to close the file and Excel request save.
If I save it and again open the xls file then Excel dosn´t request save it.
Why it?
Is it possible solve this matter?
Regards.
César.
Jonathan LeemingRe: Why Excel always request save File for xls and not for xlsx?
on Sun, 05 May 2019 09:21:22 -0600
On 5/4/2019 5:23 PM, César Calvo wrote:
> Hello.
> I make an excel xls file with LibXL and always after this operation I
> open the xls file, then I try to close the file and Excel request save.
> If I save it and again open the xls file then Excel dosn´t request save it.
> Why it?
> Is it possible solve this matter?
> Regards.
> César.
Hi César,

Just to confirm...

You are creating a new excel file using LibXL which does not actually
use Microsoft Excel at all for the file creation.

You are then opening the newly created file with Microsoft Excel.

After viewing the file without intentionally making any changes
Microsoft Excel is asking if you want to save the file when you close
the file.

Opening the file a second time using Microsoft Excel and the closing it
does not prompt to save.

If this is accurate then my guess is that the original LibXL created
file has something that Microsoft Excel is automatically adjusting the
first time you open it.  Since Microsoft Excel has changed something it
is prompting to save this change.

Purely speculation!!!

Have you contacted support@libxl.com with this question?

Regards... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
César Calvo Re: Why Excel always request save File for xls and not for xlsx?
on Mon, 06 May 2019 22:55:13 +0200
Jonathan, you are right, there is some bug in LibXL because if I create the
excel with ActiveX it never asks the confirmation of save.
I am going to report this issue to the LibXL team.
Thanks.

"Jonathan Leeming" escribió en el mensaje de
noticias:48e39cd3$6b9c8870$6bc9@news.alaska-software.com...

On 5/4/2019 5:23 PM, César Calvo wrote:
> Hello.
> I make an excel xls file with LibXL and always after this operation I open
> the xls file, then I try to close the file and Excel request save.
> If I save it and again open the xls file then Excel dosn´t request save
> it.
> Why it?
> Is it possible solve this matter?
> Regards.
> César.
Hi César,

Just to confirm...

You are creating a new excel file using LibXL which does not actually
use Microsoft Excel at all for the file creation.

You are then opening the newly created file with Microsoft Excel.

After viewing the file without intentionally making any changes
Microsoft Excel is asking if you want to save the file when you close
the file.

Opening the file a second time using Microsoft Excel and the closing it
does not prompt to save.

If this is accurate then my guess is that the original LibXL created
file has something that Microsoft Excel is automatically adjusting the
first time you open it.  Since Microsoft Excel has changed something it
is prompting to save this change.

Purely speculation!!!

Have you contacted support@libxl.com with this question?

Regards... Jonathan

jonathan.leeming@the-family-centre.com
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Carlos Re: Why Excel always request save File for xls and not for xlsx?
on Tue, 07 May 2019 10:52:05 +0100
Às 21:55 de 06/05/2019, César Calvo escreveu:
> Jonathan, you are right, there is some bug in LibXL because if I create
> the excel with ActiveX it never asks the confirmation of save.
> I am going to report this issue to the LibXL team.
> Thanks.
>
> "Jonathan Leeming" escribió en el mensaje de
> noticias:48e39cd3$6b9c8870$6bc9@news.alaska-software.com...
>
> On 5/4/2019 5:23 PM, César Calvo wrote:
>> Hello.
>> I make an excel xls file with LibXL and always after this operation I
>> open the xls file, then I try to close the file and Excel request save.
>> If I save it and again open the xls file then Excel dosn´t request
>> save it.
>> Why it?
>> Is it possible solve this matter?
>> Regards.
>> César.
> Hi César,
>
> Just to confirm...
>
> You are creating a new excel file using LibXL which does not actually
> use Microsoft Excel at all for the file creation.
>
> You are then opening the newly created file with Microsoft Excel.
>
> After viewing the file without intentionally making any changes
> Microsoft Excel is asking if you want to save the file when you close
> the file.
>
> Opening the file a second time using Microsoft Excel and the closing it
> does not prompt to save.
>
> If this is accurate then my guess is that the original LibXL created
> file has something that Microsoft Excel is automatically adjusting the
> first time you open it.  Since Microsoft Excel has changed something it
> is prompting to save this change.
>
> Purely speculation!!!
>
> Have you contacted support@libxl.com with this question?
>
> Regards... Jonathan

Hi,

In older libxl versions, the described problem apear if adding a formula
to a cell. Now, with current LibXl version 3.8.5.0 and Excel 2016 i have
no problem.

Carlos
=?UTF-8?Q?C=c3=a9sar_Calvo?= Re: Why Excel always request save File for xls and not for xlsx?
on Tue, 07 May 2019 14:53:25 +0200
El 07/05/2019 a las 11:52, Carlos escribió:
> Às 21:55 de 06/05/2019, César Calvo escreveu:
>> Jonathan, you are right, there is some bug in LibXL because if I
>> create the excel with ActiveX it never asks the confirmation of save.
>> I am going to report this issue to the LibXL team.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> "Jonathan Leeming" escribió en el mensaje de
>> noticias:48e39cd3$6b9c8870$6bc9@news.alaska-software.com...
>>
>> On 5/4/2019 5:23 PM, César Calvo wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>> I make an excel xls file with LibXL and always after this operation I
>>> open the xls file, then I try to close the file and Excel request save.
>>> If I save it and again open the xls file then Excel dosn´t request
>>> save it.
>>> Why it?
>>> Is it possible solve this matter?
>>> Regards.
>>> César.
>> Hi César,
>>
>> Just to confirm...
>>
>> You are creating a new excel file using LibXL which does not actually
>> use Microsoft Excel at all for the file creation.
>>
>> You are then opening the newly created file with Microsoft Excel.
>>
>> After viewing the file without intentionally making any changes
>> Microsoft Excel is asking if you want to save the file when you close
>> the file.
>>
>> Opening the file a second time using Microsoft Excel and the closing it
>> does not prompt to save.
>>
>> If this is accurate then my guess is that the original LibXL created
>> file has something that Microsoft Excel is automatically adjusting the
>> first time you open it.  Since Microsoft Excel has changed something it
>> is prompting to save this change.
>>
>> Purely speculation!!!
>>
>> Have you contacted support@libxl.com with this question?
>>
>> Regards... Jonathan
>>

> Hi,
>
> In older libxl versions, the described problem apear if adding a formula
> to a cell. Now, with current LibXl version 3.8.5.0 and Excel 2016 i have
> no problem.
>
> Carlos

Yes Carlos, I will contact with LibXL team and they said me:

Hello Cesar,

unfortunately the latest LibXL still doesn't support automatic formula
updating.

Kind regards,

This is the question.

I have requested they try to solve this matter.
I supose this is complicated but I hope that yes in a sort future.

Best.
=?UTF-8?Q?C=c3=a9sar_Calvo?= Re: Why Excel always request save File for xls and not for xlsx?
on Tue, 07 May 2019 14:55:06 +0200
El 07/05/2019 a las 11:52, Carlos escribió:
> Às 21:55 de 06/05/2019, César Calvo escreveu:
>> Jonathan, you are right, there is some bug in LibXL because if I
>> create the excel with ActiveX it never asks the confirmation of save.
>> I am going to report this issue to the LibXL team.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> "Jonathan Leeming" escribió en el mensaje de
>> noticias:48e39cd3$6b9c8870$6bc9@news.alaska-software.com...
>>
>> On 5/4/2019 5:23 PM, César Calvo wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>> I make an excel xls file with LibXL and always after this operation I
>>> open the xls file, then I try to close the file and Excel request save.
>>> If I save it and again open the xls file then Excel dosn´t request
>>> save it.
>>> Why it?
>>> Is it possible solve this matter?
>>> Regards.
>>> César.
>> Hi César,
>>
>> Just to confirm...
>>
>> You are creating a new excel file using LibXL which does not actually
>> use Microsoft Excel at all for the file creation.
>>
>> You are then opening the newly created file with Microsoft Excel.
>>
>> After viewing the file without intentionally making any changes
>> Microsoft Excel is asking if you want to save the file when you close
>> the file.
>>
>> Opening the file a second time using Microsoft Excel and the closing it
>> does not prompt to save.
>>
>> If this is accurate then my guess is that the original LibXL created
>> file has something that Microsoft Excel is automatically adjusting the
>> first time you open it.  Since Microsoft Excel has changed something it
>> is prompting to save this change.
>>
>> Purely speculation!!!
>>
>> Have you contacted support@libxl.com with this question?
>>
>> Regards... Jonathan
>>

> Hi,
>
> In older libxl versions, the described problem apear if adding a formula
> to a cell. Now, with current LibXl version 3.8.5.0 and Excel 2016 i have
> no problem.
>
> Carlos

Yes Carlos, I will contact with LibXL team and they said me:

Hello Cesar,

unfortunately the latest LibXL still doesn't support automatic formula
updating.

Kind regards,

That is the question.

I have requested they try to solve this matter.
I supose this is complicated but I hope that yes in a sort future.

Best.
=?UTF-8?Q?C=c3=a9sar_Calvo?= Re: Why Excel always request save File for xls and not for xlsx?
on Tue, 07 May 2019 14:55:48 +0200