Alaska Software Inc. - System Not Responding
Alaska Software Inc. - System Not Responding
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: System Not Responding
Donald KeatingSystem Not Responding
on Mon, 20 Jan 2014 09:37:21 -0500
Please excuse a non-xBase++ question.

My Win7 system recently started running slow and giving me "Not
Responding" messages.

I did sfc /scannow which found one corrupted file that I replaced
which helped for awhile.

I know there are many "register cleaners" available, some of which are
only virus carriers or worse.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

 >don<
Peter AlderliestenRe: System Not Responding
on Mon, 20 Jan 2014 19:32:00 +0100
Don,

> I know there are many "register cleaners" available, some of which are
> only virus carriers or worse.

A welll known and trusted registry cleaner is CCleaner.
	http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Peter
Thomas BraunRe: System Not Responding
on Tue, 21 Jan 2014 08:33:44 +0100
Peter Alderliesten wrote:

> Don,
> 
>> I know there are many "register cleaners" available, some of which are
>> only virus carriers or worse.
> 
> A welll known and trusted registry cleaner is CCleaner.
> 	http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
> 

First thing before running anything like this: Full backup / Disk image 

Thomas
Peter AlderliestenRe: System Not Responding
on Tue, 21 Jan 2014 09:24:26 +0100
Thomas,

>> A welll known and trusted registry cleaner is CCleaner.
>> 	http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
>> 
> 
> First thing before running anything like this: Full backup / Disk image 

Yes, I have always wondered about that.
I have never made a full backup or a disk image backup. I wouldn't know if
I had space enough to store anything of that kind. I would have to try this
one of these days, just to find out: size and time.
I would have to find out how to restore such a thing as well, with a
corrupted machine at hand.

On the other hand: I am very conservative - if that's the right word - in
the use of my development machine. I only install apps that I really need,
no games or anything of the kind. 
And of course I do a regular backup of all the data I really need on two
different drives.

Peter
Thomas BraunRe: System Not Responding
on Wed, 22 Jan 2014 08:54:48 +0100
Peter Alderliesten wrote:

> Yes, I have always wondered about that.
> I have never made a full backup or a disk image backup. I wouldn't know if
> I had space enough to store anything of that kind. 

Get an external hard drive with sufficient space, if you like to have it
fast use USB 3.0 or ESATA or a NAS system with GBit LAN, otherwise it is
quite slow.

I'm using Acronis for a long time, it works quite well and has support for
all sorts of external devices. It also has a feature to create a bootable
CD/DVD to be able to restore quickly.

> And of course I do a regular backup of all the data I really need on two
> different drives.

Data is not the big problem - the time you need to get the OS and all the
applications (and in case of Windows, 100+ security patches) installed is
much more than restoring a clean image.

You can also create an image of a freshly installed machine and use this in
case of any virus incidents.

Thomas
Jorge LRe: System Not Responding
on Wed, 22 Jan 2014 15:00:08 -0300
hi.
They can also build a partition to copy the data in case you have enough 
free space in order to reinstall windows using only windows disk manager

msconfig also be analyzed with programs and services in order to disable the 
unnecessary files in windows startup

regards


"Thomas Braun" escribió en el mensaje de 
noticias:1q1gfm3jg505$.12d1prnph0du9.dlg@40tude.net...

Peter Alderliesten wrote:

> Yes, I have always wondered about that.
> I have never made a full backup or a disk image backup. I wouldn't know if
> I had space enough to store anything of that kind.

Get an external hard drive with sufficient space, if you like to have it
fast use USB 3.0 or ESATA or a NAS system with GBit LAN, otherwise it is
quite slow.

I'm using Acronis for a long time, it works quite well and has support for
all sorts of external devices. It also has a feature to create a bootable
CD/DVD to be able to restore quickly.

> And of course I do a regular backup of all the data I really need on two
> different drives.

Data is not the big problem - the time you need to get the OS and all the
applications (and in case of Windows, 100+ security patches) installed is
much more than restoring a clean image.

You can also create an image of a freshly installed machine and use this in
case of any virus incidents.

Thomas
James LoughnerRe: System Not Responding
on Wed, 22 Jan 2014 15:31:44 -0500
ctrl-alt-del see what is eating the cpu

Jim
On 01/20/2014 09:37 AM, Donald Keating wrote:
>
> Please excuse a non-xBase++ question.
>
> My Win7 system recently started running slow and giving me "Not
> Responding" messages.
>
> I did sfc /scannow which found one corrupted file that I replaced
> which helped for awhile.
>
> I know there are many "register cleaners" available, some of which are
> only virus carriers or worse.
>
> Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
>
>   >don<
>
Raymond FischbachRe: System Not Responding
on Sat, 25 Jan 2014 11:14:38 +0100
James Loughner avait soumis l'idée :
> ctrl-alt-del see what is eating the cpu

ctrl-shift-esc does it even faster 

Raymond
Donald KeatingRe: System Not Responding
on Wed, 29 Jan 2014 19:14:52 -0500
Thanks Peter, Thomas, Jorge, Jim And Raymond for your ideas and
suggestions.

I've used SFC and CCleaner and thinks have improved some but, not as
much as I'd like.

>don<

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 11:14:38 +0100, Raymond Fischbach wrote:

>James Loughner avait soumis l'idée :
>> ctrl-alt-del see what is eating the cpu
>
>ctrl-shift-esc does it even faster 
>
>Raymond
>