Alaska Software Inc. - Slow ADS speed over a mapped network drive
Alaska Software Inc. - Slow ADS speed over a mapped network drive
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Slow ADS speed over a mapped network drive
Chris Carmac Slow ADS speed over a mapped network drive
on Mon, 08 Jan 2018 16:42:12 -0500
Has anyone else been experiencing slow ADS speed when running your 
Xbase++ application over a mapped network drive?

My application seems to have slowed down dramatically over the past 
year, as various Windows updates have rolled out.  It's gotten so bad 
I've had to instruct some of my clients to install a RDP/terminal server 
to run my application, to get the speed they need.

I'm using Xbase++ 2.00.840 and various versions of ADS at my client 
sites, from 9.0 up to (most commonly) 11.0.  I'm using the remote 
server, not the local server.

If anyone has any ideas regarding how to speed up ADS performance across 
a network, I would love to hear them!

Thanks!

Chris Carmac
Jonathan LeemingRe: Slow ADS speed over a mapped network drive
on Mon, 08 Jan 2018 15:30:25 -0700
On 1/8/2018 2:42 PM, Chris Carmac wrote:
> Has anyone else been experiencing slow ADS speed when running your 
> Xbase++ application over a mapped network drive?
> 
> My application seems to have slowed down dramatically over the past 
> year, as various Windows updates have rolled out.  It's gotten so bad 
> I've had to instruct some of my clients to install a RDP/terminal server 
> to run my application, to get the speed they need.
> 
> I'm using Xbase++ 2.00.840 and various versions of ADS at my client 
> sites, from 9.0 up to (most commonly) 11.0.  I'm using the remote 
> server, not the local server.
> 
> If anyone has any ideas regarding how to speed up ADS performance across 
> a network, I would love to hear them!
> 
> Thanks!
> 
> Chris Carmac
> 
Hi Chris,

I am using ADS 11 with Xbase++ 2.00.875 with mapped network drives (Win 
Server 2012) and am not noticing any performance degradation.

Files: DBF/FTP/CDX (up until a few months ago it was (DBF/DBT/NTX)
Proprietary Locking: Currently Off (thinking about enabling)

DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_TBL_MODE, ADSDBE_CDX)
DbeInfo( COMPONENT_ORDER, ADSDBE_INDEX_EXT, "CDX")

DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_LOCK_MODE, ADSDBE_COMPATIBLE_LOCKING  )
DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_DICTIONARY_DATA, .F. )

cDataDrive := "K:"
oSession := dacSession():New( "ADSDBE", cDataDrive)

One thing of note is that I do not use the Alaska supplied:

ace32.dll 9/12/2003 9:06pm
axcws32.dll 9/12/2003 8:00am

But rather the newer versions from Advantage.

Regards... Jonathan
Chris Carmac Re: Slow ADS speed over a mapped network drive
on Tue, 09 Jan 2018 08:53:54 -0500
Jonathan,

Each of my customers has their own installation of ADS (most commonly 
version 11.0), so I always try to ensure that I copy their installed 
ace32.dll and axcws32.dll into my program installation folder to ensure 
that I'm running the correct version of ADS.  I've run into problems in 
the past with having incorrect ADS DLLs installed with my application.

I've been using DBF/CDX files from the beginning. I don't set the lock 
mode in code, but rather use the the ADS configuration utility and check 
the "Non-Exclusive Proprietary Locking" setting.

If the speed problems were happening at only one customer site I would 
assume it's an isolated issue, but I'm seeing it at a lot of different 
places, running different operating systems.  I'm wondering if something 
significant has changed with Windows, Xbase++, or ADS that is causing 
the slowdown.

Thanks for your reply.

Chris

On 1/8/2018 5:30 PM, Jonathan Leeming wrote:
> On 1/8/2018 2:42 PM, Chris Carmac wrote:
>> Has anyone else been experiencing slow ADS speed when running your
>> Xbase++ application over a mapped network drive?
>>
>> My application seems to have slowed down dramatically over the past
>> year, as various Windows updates have rolled out.  It's gotten so bad
>> I've had to instruct some of my clients to install a RDP/terminal
>> server to run my application, to get the speed they need.
>>
>> I'm using Xbase++ 2.00.840 and various versions of ADS at my client
>> sites, from 9.0 up to (most commonly) 11.0.  I'm using the remote
>> server, not the local server.
>>
>> If anyone has any ideas regarding how to speed up ADS performance
>> across a network, I would love to hear them!
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Chris Carmac
>>
> Hi Chris,
>
> I am using ADS 11 with Xbase++ 2.00.875 with mapped network drives (Win
> Server 2012) and am not noticing any performance degradation.
>
> Files: DBF/FTP/CDX (up until a few months ago it was (DBF/DBT/NTX)
> Proprietary Locking: Currently Off (thinking about enabling)
>
> DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_TBL_MODE, ADSDBE_CDX)
> DbeInfo( COMPONENT_ORDER, ADSDBE_INDEX_EXT, "CDX")
>
> DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_LOCK_MODE, ADSDBE_COMPATIBLE_LOCKING  )
> DbeInfo( COMPONENT_DATA, ADSDBE_DICTIONARY_DATA, .F. )
>
> cDataDrive := "K:"
> oSession := dacSession():New( "ADSDBE", cDataDrive)
>
> One thing of note is that I do not use the Alaska supplied:
>
> ace32.dll 9/12/2003 9:06pm
> axcws32.dll 9/12/2003 8:00am
>
> But rather the newer versions from Advantage.
>
> Regards... Jonathan
>
Brian WolfsohnRe: Slow ADS speed over a mapped network drive
on Wed, 10 Jan 2018 02:21:34 +0100
Chris Carmac <ccarmac@freedomsoft.info> wrote in news:1d7b64a0$7e1eebfc
$36e769@news.alaska-software.com:

Chris,

We have dozens of clients using ADS over a mapped drive network.  No 
problems...

Try looking at your anti-virus and turn off virus checking for the data 
directories on the server.

> If the speed problems were happening at only one customer site I would 
> assume it's an isolated issue, but I'm seeing it at a lot of different 
> places, running different operating systems.  I'm wondering if something 
> significant has changed with Windows, Xbase++, or ADS that is causing 
> the slowdown.
Chris Carmac Re: Slow ADS speed over a mapped network drive
on Wed, 10 Jan 2018 15:47:20 -0500
Brian,

I will double-check the antivirus settings to make sure my application 
is excluded.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Chris

On 1/9/2018 8:21 PM, Brian Wolfsohn wrote:
> Chris Carmac <ccarmac@freedomsoft.info> wrote in news:1d7b64a0$7e1eebfc
> $36e769@news.alaska-software.com:
>
> Chris,
>
> We have dozens of clients using ADS over a mapped drive network.  No
> problems...
>
> Try looking at your anti-virus and turn off virus checking for the data
> directories on the server.
>
>> If the speed problems were happening at only one customer site I would
>> assume it's an isolated issue, but I'm seeing it at a lot of different
>> places, running different operating systems.  I'm wondering if something
>> significant has changed with Windows, Xbase++, or ADS that is causing
>> the slowdown.