Alaska Software Inc. - Converting clip-4-win to Xbase++
Username: Password:
AuthorTopic: Converting clip-4-win to Xbase++
HarlanConverting clip-4-win to Xbase++
on Fri, 17 Dec 2010 23:18:26 -0800
Hi,
Has anyone converted a large clipper 5.2e application with clip-4-win as the
GUI to Xbase++ or some other 32-bit compiler and how did you proceed to
convert the clip-4-win stuff?  Is there a preprocess or automatic translator
that helps?  Or do you have to brute force parse the source code and convert
every clip-4-win line manually?

Thanks,
Carlos a Beling Re: Converting clip-4-win to Xbase++
on Sat, 18 Dec 2010 12:51:43 -0200
Hello Harlan:
good afternoon.
I do not know Clip4Win., but I think you can do two things:
. create pre-processor directives that translates the Cli4Win commands
and functions for a xbase syntaxe
. subclass the Xbp classes for matching to the preprocessor (and,
naturally, to have similar behavior)
After it done, it can be easier. Care mus to be taken principally to
print reports and browsers.

Beling
HTH

Em 18/12/2010 05:18, Harlan escreveu:
> Hi,
> Has anyone converted a large clipper 5.2e application with clip-4-win as the
> GUI to Xbase++ or some other 32-bit compiler and how did you proceed to
> convert the clip-4-win stuff?  Is there a preprocess or automatic translator
> that helps?  Or do you have to brute force parse the source code and convert
> every clip-4-win line manually?
>
> Thanks,

Pablo BotellaRe: Converting clip-4-win to Xbase++
on Sat, 18 Dec 2010 23:46:46 +0100
Hi,

Converting a clip4win application to the Xbase++ GUI will not be a simple 1:1 translation, for a small app, will require some manual rework over the source code, as Xbase++ parts use a diferent aproach involving more than 1 thread.

If the app is small this will not be a trouble as you can rewrite some parts of your application, but if the application is so big it will take so mucth time than desired, so I will sugest to continue using the same approach you have with clip4win and rewrite the parts of clip4win you are using. Maybe for printing will be easy to use the existing Xbase++ stuff with some compatibility layer, but for window manipulation you will save a lot of headaches if preserve your current programming style.

Libraries like my ot4xb ( www.xbwin.com ) or the Cockpit from Michael Hoffman ( www.xcockpit.com ) will help you a lot accesing windows API.

Regards,
Pablo Botella
Thomas Braun
Re: Converting clip-4-win to Xbase++
on Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:42:19 +0100
Harlan wrote:

> Has anyone converted a large clipper 5.2e application with clip-4-win as the
> GUI to Xbase++ or some other 32-bit compiler and how did you proceed to
> convert the clip-4-win stuff?

Most likely this will be a complete rewrite - and you will be very lucky if
application logic and user interface are properly separated (which from my
personal experience I doubt).

Thomas
Rudolf ReinthalerRe: Converting clip-4-win to Xbase++
on Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:59:25 +0100
Hello,
try eXPress++, it is much easier to convert from Clip4win than pure
XBase++ Code.
regards
Rudolf